Where will we be in say... ten years?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where will we be in say... ten years?

Post by dillon »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Daryl wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Understand that there are still a fair number of men who believe that women are property.
Really? Where is this true in the developed world? Alabama, Montana?
In many back woods areas of the deep south, you will find this to be true. You will also find a lot of in breeding among them. Men having babies with their teen age daughters, Women having babies with their teen age sons and brothers and sisters having babies with each other. This is still going on in this day and time. Most of these people live in tight communities and do not like strangers. In fact it is actually dangerous to enter some of these areas.

:(
Deep South? Sounds more like West Virginia. AKA “America’s Afghanistan.”
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Given the way things seem to be headed, fashion may be the last of our considerations.
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

moonshadow wrote:Understand that there are still a fair number of men who believe that women are property.
This I saw on Facebook looks like a move in that direction:

weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The first post on this thread was nearly three and a half years ago,.....the newer members have received
encouragement and support from the older members.....perhaps a warmer climate is the only thing
which will improve our numbers in what will now be six and a half years time.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

weeladdie18 wrote:The first post on this thread was nearly three and a half years ago,.....the newer members have received
encouragement and support from the older members.....perhaps a warmer climate is the only thing
which will improve our numbers in what will now be six and a half years time.
Ahh.... so much of my skirting opinions have changed since this post was first created. I had just joined skirt cafe, and only a few weeks prior (I think) donned my first Macabi. When this thread was created, I had one... ONE skirt. Baby steps, and the memories that come with it, experiencing the thrill of hiking up to the Channels for the first time in a skirt, visiting my first department store (K-Mart) that afternoon....

I still remember the ugly look I got from that old man as I walked past him.

I hadn't even though about a dress yet, or even a bold cheery color. My legs were still hairy, and I had so much to learn about men in skirts and how society deals with us...

Looking back on the first post in this thread, I feel I may have been a little overly enthusiastic. We have about 6 1/2 more years to go before this question gets answered. I'd say in that time, we'll probably be in a similar spot that we are today.

...and that's okay...

Because over the last 3 1/2 years (it feels like it's been longer), I've learned one important fact about skirt wearing:

It doesn't matter if nobody else joins you, and you're the only skirt wearing guy in town, go, be free, do your thing, and have fun!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well said Moon...It is important to learn from our own experience that Men in Skirts ,all over the world ,
are free to do their own thing.............in their own time.............weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Where does time go to. A bit depressing, I know, but I don't think that things will really change over the next 6 1/2 years. Maybe there's more acceptance of those of us that do wear a skirt out in the wilds but that is vastly different from your average Joe making that connection in the mind that it's acceptable for ME to go out in a skirt. So while nothing may be said and the disapproving glances may be less I still don't see a mass stampede by men to buy a skirt and wear it. But I agree that that's ok. Like a lot of you, I relish being different and to a certain extent have always been so through my life and proud of it. I was out in a skirt yesterday and didn't notice any adverse reactions but then I wasn't looking for any.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Did we first consider that we might become folk heroes in our new style of attire but eventually discover that
Joe Public has more serious issues in his own fight for survival ?........weeladdie
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

I’ve been doing yard work all day and my hands look like Christ’s hands if Pilate had a pneumatic nailer. We have a mean-ass weed here called Giant Greenbrier which is covered with mean thorns and, in this climate, its vines grow to forty feet or more in length, and 2 cm in diameter. It was well up the trunks of the remaining loblolly pines remaining in my yard, those which either didn’t blow down in Hurricane Florence or which I did not have to have removed because they were left leaning toward the house by the wind and rain. I spent over $16,000 on tree work which took two weeks to complete. The pines were well over 100 ft to canopy top and had to be climbed and roped down in pieces. So I have embarked on a crusade to trim, prune, and cleanup the rest of my lot. It seems that half the remaining vegetation is thorny. My burn pile is once more reaching hazardous height and length, and I will have to halt my work until I find the appropriate weather to burn the debris. It was too breezy today for open fire.

But I digress. I suppose it should be nothing unusual for an old man to complain about his aches and pains, but ibuprofen, a recliner, and a double Old Fashioned are easing my suffering, as is a comfortable skirt. But I started this post simply to say that I have no idea where we as a unique population will be in ten years, but based on my current condition, I expect that I will be pushing up daisies, and therefore not here to reflect on our progress or lack thereof. Unless Carl figures out how to get internet in the great hereafter. :shock:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Who says that they haven't a read-only version and are currently laughing their socks off at us. :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Sinned wrote:Who says that they haven't a read-only version and are currently laughing their socks off at us. :lol:
It's a pretty safe bet folks are laughing at us, but TBH IDGAF. When I go out for an evening, which, sadly, I am doing much less of, I like to be dressed just to the point of classy without going full-tilt femme. Let 'em think what they want, but I know when I look GOOD.

Anyway, it was damn near 80F today, but the winds were low, so I set a match to one of my burn piles. It had a lot of wet crap underneath which I left smoldering this evening when I went in and showered the forest-fire smell off me. But by the time I was clean, dressed in a powder blue Koppen stretch mini, and enjoying a highball (no Old Fashioneds tonight; I ran out of oranges) the temperature was dropping and wind was whipping, so I had to go out in the dark, as a good Boy Scout, and extinguish my glowing debris with a garden hose. I sure didn't want embers setting the dry grass around me on fire.

I started de-vining another quadrant of my back yard today. Tomorrow the wife has a hair style (dye) appointment and will doubtless go shopping afterward, so I figure I have about 3 hours to prune the crap out of the azalea bed on that side of the yard before she gets home to supervise me. Ain't life grand.
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

In the mid 80s I thought men in skirts would be casually common by the 90s. Wrong. In the late 90s, when Tom Manuel started Tom's Cafe I thought, "O.K., another few years". Wrong again. Somewhere around the year 10 I was sure that, at last, men were coming to their senses. Not so much. Here we are at year19 and and men in skirts still rare as hens teeth. Men are too deeply afraid of the opinion of the herd to color very far outside the lines.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

BobM wrote:In the mid 80s I thought men in skirts would be casually common by the 90s. Wrong. In the late 90s, when Tom Manuel started Tom's Cafe I thought, "O.K., another few years". Wrong again. Somewhere around the year 10 I was sure that, at last, men were coming to their senses. Not so much. Here we are at year19 and and men in skirts still rare as hens teeth. Men are too deeply afraid of the opinion of the herd to color very far outside the lines.
Perhaps, but I do believe that kilts seem to be catching on. I see them more and more. I find it rather peculiar that the more kilts I see on people, the less "cool" I find them.

I've also found (many, not all) kilt wearers to be somewhat unapproachable, meaning they are not one for conversation, and tend to carry themselves with a certain smugness. Perhaps it's because they may view me as "one of those [ugly] trans people". I dunno.

I find nothing rebellious about a man slipping on a kilt.

As for guys wearing off the peg "womens" skirts, it seems that most gravitate to the realms of "non-binary" and other transgender labels.

Once in a while I happen upon a regular guy wearing a non-kilt skirt though. It is rare.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I think I must fall in to the category of "regular guy." I like skirts for comfort and freedom and all of mine are stealthy and mostly go un noticed. My wife and I visited a specialty store where she shops for lingerie. I have also shopped there for Mother's Day, birthday, Christmas, Valentine's Day. I like to buy her things like dresses, nighties, underwear, etc. The store manager is the same size and proportions as my wife so it's easy to know the right sizes. They are both petite and trim. The personnel all know me by name. Friday was the first time I have worn a skirt to that store. It was an above the knee stretch denim skirt. After some time for my wife to make her selections, trying on, kibitzing I asked the manager whether she noticed what I was wearing. She looked me over, smiled, and said, "good for you" and said I must be comfortable, etc. There was another sales person who I think is the assistant manager so I asked her whether she noticed. She spotted me as soon as we walked in and thought "you rock, that looks great." I don't know how often I am noticed, but no one reacts. A very few have asked me about my skirts.

I think I am a regular guy who likes to wear skirts and have met at least four men in skirts who were regular guys. All of my skirts are stealthy, I prefer light weight, elastic waist, stretch fabric. They all resemble shorts as much as possible and are denim, khaki, or camouflage. I like to shop for skirts and will try them on. If it looks and feels right I might buy it. I am sure I am more confident wearing skirts in public because I am not noticed or at least reacted to.

We met a group of back packers who were four couples, all wearing skirts or kilts. They looked good to me and more comfortable than if they were wearing shorts or pants.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

Understand that there are still a fair number of men who believe that women are property.
Not just the back woods of Alabama, but also Dearborn, Michigan too!!