Wooden creations

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wooden creations

Post by Sinned »

Of course VM, but you must remember that he had wood lathes, chisels, various saws and so on. And vast experience. Walk before you can run. You are doing well. You may look into sourcing different coloured woods in order to get the colour to match the piece, such as yellow for a banana.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Winter Walks on deserted beaches may produce sand blasted drift wood sculptures.....
These can be polished with brown shoe polish to enhance their natural grain...........
Wooden table mats can be made heat resistant with polyurethane varnish.
Scrap wooden pallets are a useful source of material for garden fences. Sometimes these are protected with waste engine oil.
The Ships Chandler stocks various grades of wood preserving oil and varnish....
There is a skip hire contractor near me who offers free firewood from his skips used by building contractors.
This is a good scource of free 4 x 2 deal cut off lengths......

In The Days of School Science I learnt how to make artists charcoal sticks in a treacle tin....make your own Barbie Charcoal.
There must be a difference between wood and charcoal as a heat source for cooked meals.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Sinned wrote:Of course VM, but you must remember that he had wood lathes, chisels, various saws and so on. And vast experience. Walk before you can run. You are doing well. You may look into sourcing different coloured woods in order to get the colour to match the piece, such as yellow for a banana.
Thanks Sinned, I am getting a few tools here there, and the experience will come just need time.
weeladdie18 wrote:Winter Walks on deserted beaches may produce sand blasted drift wood sculptures.....
Thanks weeladdie18 for the helpful tips. I would love to get some drift wood but I live in Iowa, not to many beaches around here.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Nice work! Some very neat designs. Keep at it, and keep posting pictures!
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Got a couple items done.
IMG_20190129_140332440 (3).jpg
IMG_20190127_1833456182.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If you check out the local craft fairs and markets you may find other wood workers who re prepared to discuss
their skills with you....It really depends on the tools you prefer to use to shape your available source of wood
and the preservation techniques used on your craftsmanship.....There are many videos posted on the Internet
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

weeladdie18 wrote:If you check out the local craft fairs and markets you may find other wood workers who re prepared to discuss
their skills with you....It really depends on the tools you prefer to use to shape your available source of wood
and the preservation techniques used on your craftsmanship.....There are many videos posted on the Internet
Thanks weeladdie18 for the helpful tips and I have been hitting the internet for some great ideas that I want to try.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Tried my hand at 3d sawing, one way is a wolf howling and the other way a deer.
IMG_20190205_0859490222.jpg
IMG_20190205_0859370852.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

voodoomagic wrote:Tried my hand at 3d sawing, one way is a wolf howling and the other way a deer.
I think you have some real talent for this wood working. I like this one for sure!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
voodoomagic wrote:Tried my hand at 3d sawing, one way is a wolf howling and the other way a deer.
I think you have some real talent for this wood working. I like this one for sure!!
Thanks Fred in Skirts I really enjoy it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When I was in shop class in high school we sometimes work with Plexiglas. And as you know it leaves sharp edges and cutting debris on the piece. My shop teacher showed us a real neat trick, it is called annealing. When you are finished the cutting and want to clean up the edges and such grab a propane torch and pass the part near the flame but only long enough to soften the sharp corners and remove the debris. While the torch we had was feed by a giant gas bottle on the outside of the school you can buy propane torches at any hardware store or Wal-Marts. They are cheap.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Fred in Skirts wrote:When I was in shop class in high school we sometimes work with Plexiglas. And as you know it leaves sharp edges and cutting debris on the piece. My shop teacher showed us a real neat trick, it is called annealing. When you are finished the cutting and want to clean up the edges and such grab a propane torch and pass the part near the flame but only long enough to soften the sharp corners and remove the debris. While the torch we had was feed by a giant gas bottle on the outside of the school you can buy propane torches at any hardware store or Wal-Marts. They are cheap.

Fred
Thanks Fred in Skirts for the great tip, I will definitely have to try that.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Have a few letter openers done. All made of walnut.
lowres Cat.jpg
lowres letteropener.jpg
lowres dragon.jpg
john62
Member Extraordinaire

Post by john62 »

Very nice indeed.

John
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

john62 wrote:Very nice indeed.

John