Introduction

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Introduction

Post by skirtyscot »

jamesy wrote:... I was wearing one of course - no objection heard. Didn't like what I tried, on, said thanks and moved on.

Found a second hand record shop, I collect 60's and 70's rock on vinyl - and the guy running the store was in a green cotton mini skirt. There was kind of a nod of recognition...
Jamesy, you are one of the chosen few! You have had an unplanned skirted meeting with another man. They are as rare as hen's teeth.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

jamesy wrote:So I went to meet the client, it was about 5:30pm when I arrived, in a skirt.

She was starting to prepare dinner and remarked she was short of one ingredient and needed to go to the shop to get it. As my car was parked in the drive I offered to drive her, so off we went. Arrived at the shop, I was oblivious to the skirt. Bought what we needed, drove back.

Nobody in the shop said a word, and amazingly, other that my client commenting she liked the length of my skirt (about 2" above knee) it was like nothing out of the ordinary.

Since then I have had a few days when my wife has been out most or all of the day and, like now, have worn a skirt the whole time. Right now I'm is a slightly stretchy white denim number.

Next week I'm away for three days, have to visit a town 3 hours away and apart from when I'm with clients, will be in a skirt.

AND hurrah! Last night my wife agreed for me to buy and wear a kilt. Watch this space!
Jamey pleased to hear you are having success in your skirting adventures...just continue to push forward so you san achieve
your ambitions.....we have all had our problems in the past....well done.
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

Are the rules different for a married man to those used by a single man ?
It seems so unfortunately.

Wife and I were on the beach this morning and a couple in their late 40's walking faster passed us. He was in board shorts down almost to his knees. her bikini bottom was basically floss between her butt cheeks. I said to SO, "There's that double standard again, if he was wearing briefs like that, he would be labelled a pervert of exhibitionist - or worse. I know why women can get away with that and men can't; it's because anybody criticising her would be told in no uncertain terms to keep their opinions to themselves 'cos 'nobody tells me what to wear'".

My wife sighed, shook her head and said, "Men don't understand that women are wired differently".

It irritates me when she tells me stuff like that. I have no reply. Women have a miraculous way of being able to do that!

So yes, very much the rules for single men are different to those for married men. You only have yourself to answer to. When you do meet an SO, make damn sure you tell her everything about you, because if you hold it back and reveal later, it may be too late. You might get lucky and find one who loves it when you tell her, yet again, you might not.

It's ok for them to tell YOU stuff later though...

Interesting our marriage vows did not include "obey" from "Love, honour and obey". She says she wants me to be happy, she bought me a little motivational picture for me desk, it reads; be wild at heart, free in spirit, do the things you love" - except don't wear a skirt!

Please don't misunderstand me, I love my wife dearly. I'm just disappointed about her change of heart around my wearing a skirt, after all, she encouraged me to buy my first one.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jamesy wrote:My wife sighed, shook her head and said, "Men don't understand that women are wired differently".
"You're right, I suppose, but it's unfortunate that not only will I never understand your wiring, you will never understand mine. That's sad, as an understanding team we would be positively amazing."

The silly part is that there's likely entirely more "wiring" that's common than that which is "different". Using the differences as a crutch -- or, worse, a weapon -- is a fool's game.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

So today I had a 2.5 hour drive to a regional area to see some clients.

I choose my pencil skirt to wear while driving. Stopped for coffee and lunch on the way then in a park to check emails and addresses I had to go to. Thought about not changing into pants; thought hard actually. After all I feel confident in a skirt, it's second nature now. After all, I looked professional; as good as Mark does at work!

Realised my wife could get to hear about it if I didn't. So reluctantly I changed to pants. Completed the meetings then changed again before checking in to my motel where I was greeted by a woman who checked me in. Nothing said.

The centre of town is 2km away so walked into town, to the main shopping centre, bought Sushi and a bottle of wine, then went to Kmart and bought another mini skirt. Aging, nothing said. Walked back to the motel. Sat on the verandah outside my room, ate my meal, drank my wine.

I have reached the conclusion that nobody cares. As long as you own it, as long as you feel confident and bullet proof, nobody is going to question you.

In a way, it's almost an anti-climax! Sure, I was concerned that in a country town I might have been subjected to some comment. I guess over 150 people would have seen me close up. Women with kids, tradies with beards and tatts, single men and women. Plus another 100 plus drivers and passengers who drove past me. I was transparent to them all.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

jamesy wrote:In a way, it's almost an anti-climax! Sure, I was concerned that in a country town I might have been subjected to some comment. I guess over 150 people would have seen me close up. Women with kids, tradies with beards and tatts, single men and women. Plus another 100 plus drivers and passengers who drove past me. I was transparent to them all.
Isn't this what we all really want??? To be completely invisible to the unwashed public... I know that is all I want, I don't care if I don't get comments because I wear skirts or anything else for that matter. I am not looking for them. I just want to be happy in my skirts and not worry if others like or dislike what I am wearing.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
jamesy wrote:In a way, it's almost an anti-climax! Sure, I was concerned that in a country town I might have been subjected to some comment. I guess over 150 people would have seen me close up. Women with kids, tradies with beards and tatts, single men and women. Plus another 100 plus drivers and passengers who drove past me. I was transparent to them all.
Isn't this what we all really want??? To be completely invisible to the unwashed public... I know that is all I want, I don't care if I don't get comments because I wear skirts or anything else for that matter. I am not looking for them. I just want to be happy in my skirts and not worry if others like or dislike what I am wearing.

Fred
I would agree with you Fred,.....I wear my skirts for my personal comfort.......The reasons why I took to wearing Skirts
have now gone out of the window.......weeladdie
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

OMG! I hope I've not been misunderstood with my recent comments!

I'm actually thrilled that nobody seems to notice or comment. It's elating to feel so comfortable to go about my day without the thought of comment. I guess most of us were nervous when first stepping out in a skirt. I certainly was, not those nerves are disappearing and it's like normal. That's what's anticlimactic; that there is no reason to be nervous, just be considerate.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:

Fred
I would agree with you Fred,.....I wear my skirts for my personal comfort.......The reasons why I took to wearing Skirts
have now gone out of the window.......weeladdie
I guess I must be different. Everyone says they wear skirts for “comfort” but I choose them for fun and fashion, and to be different. There’s no doubt some psycho-sexual attraction going on, but harmless and unimportant. I won’t pretend it’s only comfort. I could be comfortable in boxers or sweats, but I like being unusual and unique, and challenging people to reflect on their usual perspectives. I don’t fear labels or opinions too much at my age. I sort of enjoy confusing people as to my gender identity. They never ask.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
TheRod
Distinguished Member

Post by TheRod »

Dillon, agreed.
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

Hurray!!

My kilt arrived today.

Wearing it now wife wife's approval.

Thanks Sport Kilt; modern Ferguson. Very comfortable despite the heat; 33 degrees with high humidity.

Wife is away for 5 days this weekend, skirts for 5 days straight. :D
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Dillion you like to confuse people . The most confusing thing with me is that I am always wearing my Vietnam Veterans cap. I get a lot of "thank you for your service"
accolades, Which I greatly appreciate. its funny because when they are halfway thru and they see my skirt they start to stutter and loose their train of thought.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

oldsalt1 wrote:Dillion you like to confuse people . The most confusing thing with me is that I am always wearing my Vietnam Veterans cap. I get a lot of "thank you for your service"
accolades, Which I greatly appreciate. its funny because when they are halfway thru and they see my skirt they start to stutter and loose their train of thought.
Well done Old Salt , for wearing you Veterans Cap with pride.....
As a point of perception ...it is interesting to note that folks make contact with you before observing your complete attire......

I do not wear glasses out on the street , so I have to get within talking distance of folks to study the finer points of their attire....

Is this a common way to fully observe people who interest us ?
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

So my Sport Kilt arrived and coincidentally my wife has been away most of the time since. So here's what has happened:

Have worn the kilt to several business functions and client meetings as well as going shopping and going about my daily business. Simply amazed at what a wonderful conversation starter it has been. Had to snap a guy down when he asked what i had on underneath; there were women in earshot. I asked him he would feel if someone asked his wife that question?

Immediate retraction and apology!

So many women had positive comments and asked what was the reason/ history. I have Scots heritage so that was easy; I followed on about it being cooler and more comfortable that trousers; that more men should wear skirts/ kilts and that I felt very comfortable in either. Universally they all agreed skirts were sensible clothing options for men. Even a plumber who said he couldn't wear one was surprised when I told him he could buy a working kilt with fluoro trimming.

This gave me the opportunity to promote this article in Gentlemen's Quarterly: https://www.gq.com/story/mens-skirts

This was reinforced by my comment I was part of a worldwide group of men all desiring and promoting this outcome. What truly amazed me was when they all agreed it made sense and they wouldn't object.

I think we're closer than we think guys! This is achievable.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Jamesy,
Well done!
There's a Scot's word, "smeddum", an attribute which you seem to have inherited.
I will leave you to check it out.
More of the same will be the way forward for our cause.
Steve.