A dress from the sweatshop

For those do-it-yourselfers...
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

A dress from the sweatshop

Post by beachlion »

Recently I bought a serger, a Singer Finishing Touch. I was preparing for summer so I thought I try to make a dress in denim. I combined the standard patterns of a T-shirt and a miniskirt. I did this before in jersey, without a zipper. That dress was quite shapeless because I had to pull it on over my head so I needed a belt. This time I put in a long zipper in front so I could make darts.

This was more or less a trial. The next one will have a lower neckline, a longer hem for flare and maybe slightly longer.
P1010036qq.jpg
P1010038qq.jpg
I bought medium weight light denim and khaki so that will be my next dresses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
pepsie1

Re: A dress from the sweatshop

Post by pepsie1 »

This is outstanding. I agree with your next time enhancements and would also suggest adding in-seam pockets. Can't wait to see the results.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I went a little further with my test object. I added a collar to simulate a shirt collar, breast pockets and shoulder straps. Just to make it a little less lady like.

The collar is slightly too wide near the shoulder seam. The breast pockets are a tad too big and need a different form like a pointed bottom. I don't know about the shoulder straps. I like them on my pilot shirts.

I'm already preparing patterns for the next generation of dresses. It is a learning process but I like it.
P1010040q.jpg
P1010042q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

From where I sit It looks very nice and I would wear it out if the hem was a little longer, say at the knees.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:From where I sit It looks very nice and I would wear it out if the hem was a little longer, say at the knees.
The next version will be 6 cm (about 2.5") longer and a little wider at the hem. It is like fine tuning a pattern to see what each change is doing to the whole concept.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

That is a very nice dress you created! It looks amazing.
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

beachlion wrote:I went a little further with my test object. I added a collar to simulate a shirt collar, breast pockets and shoulder straps. Just to make it a little less lady like.

The collar is slightly too wide near the shoulder seam. The breast pockets are a tad too big and need a different form like a pointed bottom. I don't know about the shoulder straps. I like them on my pilot shirts.

I'm already preparing patterns for the next generation of dresses. It is a learning process but I like it.
I definitely like the look. I'm fine with the length you already have, but I agree that the collar is too wide Being a big pocket fan, I also wonder if two further pockets might work for you. Something like the attacked would for me:
extrapockets.jpg
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Besides face blurring, this is the first time I'm photo shopped. ;) Thanks for the effort.

I agree on the smaller collar but the extra pockets are a reminder of aprons. I have an apron for my woodworking with pockets like that. I hope you don't mind skipping the extra pockets.

I have dissected an old T-shirt and a short sleeve shirt to reverse engineer a pattern. I think I have to buy old fashioned starch to stiffen the fabric. Then I can take measurements more accurately. Stay tuned.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Whatever you do, don't lose the epaulettes. They add all sorts of class to the thing, and if they're actually functional have purpose.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

I still have some left overs from my military service with the Royal Dutch Air Force. It is the right color as far as I can see. ;)
Sergeant strepenq.jpg
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Another dress from the production line. I made it slightly longer and widened and lowered the neck area. The fit around the waist is a tad tighter and the hem a little wider.
To get a dress fitting right is much more difficult than a skirt. The fabric should hang right without folds in a normal posture. You should be able to move with ease. To order a pattern for a dress is quite useless because the female body has some attributes a male misses. And modifying such a pattern is a journey in the unknown for me. I have to find a dress pattern for a shirt dress or similar. But then I will be back at square one because that was my first attempt.
P1010055q.jpg
P1010056q.jpg
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Well done, beach lion. :D
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Looks great from where I am sitting. I wish I had the talent you have at sewing. I can do the usual buttons and minor mends but that is the limit.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Thanks for the good words. It looks better than it is. I'm far from even reasonable but I'm learning. It will be more of an effort to step outside in a dress. And the lady of the house still has no idea that I'm making dresses. I have to find a way to introduce it to her.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

A job well done! You have talent.