Starting a line of skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Starting a line of skirts

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:Ever tried job hunting in a skirt?
Not yet, but I'm certain that time will come.

In places with a healthy economy it's likely easier to do so because the downside cross-section is smaller. In places with unhealthy or wrecked economies, one has to play all sorts of games to even retain a job so one toes the line very, very carefully.

I've got an agreement with the Boss at work, and he knows that I will in no way bring disrepute to the Company, and when operating in a mode where I represent the Company I peg things at a notch well above "business casual" (pretty much a suit minus the jacket) and with unobtrusive restraints for my hair (usually a very simple pony elastic). Since I tend not to talk much about my work, save for generalities, and never mention who I work for, that's not a problem. So that works.

I suspect actually getting a(nother) job here -- assuming that one can get past all the "screening" stages to get an interview (which is in no means any sort of "given") -- a skirted outfit could well nix any sort of deal at the outset unless the interviewer is a free-thinker and needs to fill a position quickly. The skirt would be entirely incidental, but the average person follows their indoctrination even if they're not aware of it. Frequently that can involve a loss for all parties.
I will definitely be interested in hearing about the experience, if that time comes.

I think the mental process for either a screener or an interviewer may involve unconscious bias but perhaps more it involves a conscious bias, not against the person who dresses unusually, but in favour of their own approval-seeking on-the-job. No one knows how a new employee will work out. Hiring a new person is always a bit of a risk. If you hire someone who is a bit weird, you will at least think that others will be whispering "I don't know why he hired a weirdo then was surprised when it blew up in his face." In the face of uncertainty, people do what feels safer, especially when they perceive that their decision represents a risk of some kind.

I have seen this in action. A boss, after hiring a new guy into a very visible role, discovered that the guy was not only gay, but spoke of his husband. Now, I know the boss. He is not even slightly homophobic, but the company's rural midwest client base represents a demographic that opposed the recognition of same sex marriages, and has other options for the company's services. He asked the new hire to decline the offer of employment. (Which he did not, and everything worked out fine anyway.)
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirtcraft web site

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:And there is the issue of womens' skirts lacking decent pockets.
Or pockets at all. I have some shirts with two large pockets and routinely use these when I want to avoid having to carry my purse, phone on the left, wallet in the right. I am glad I don't smoke!
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Yes Daryl I still have some of my government issue white shirts ..quite long with epuallettes and twin breast button down pockets ....
Coastguard and police style shirts ....often available as government surplus or charity shop.....my new white shirt were £2 each in plastic wrapping.

Definitely a striking style of male shirt when worn with a black skirt
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

I did a search and found four members reporting that they had been to job interviews in a skirt. Skirtsdad and dottie were successful; Darryl and kiltedjohn were not. 50% success rate - not bad at all. And jeffreyrichards2015 conducted job interviews in his skirts.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

There is perhaps a difference between the Man in a Skirt who goes for a job interview and the Man in a Skirt
who sits in front of an interview board with the female personnel manageress wearing her best skirt.

If the job candidate is unlucky he may find he is wearing a skirt which is identical to the one worn by
the personnel manageress.............................L.O.L.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

weeladdie18 wrote:There is perhaps a difference between the Man in a Skirt who goes for a job interview and the Man in a Skirt
who sits in front of an interview board with the female personnel manageress wearing her best skirt.

If the job candidate is unlucky he may find he is wearing a skirt which is identical to the one worn by
the personnel manageress.............................L.O.L.
I’d suspect the bigger difference, at least in my part of the world, is between the man who goes to a job interview in a skirt, and the man who gets hired for the position.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote:Please allow me to look at this project from another viewpoint. The men in skirts market needs an affordable price ...Once the marketable price is agreed,
the design should be simplified to achieved the required function....
Perhaps this should be a simple male wrap over skirt with right over left wrapping aprons .
Each apron should be fastened at the hip......A method of fastening to provide the maximum amount of adjustment for each manufactured size.
This simplifies the number of sizes involved the stock.....

I would suggest an A Line design with a choice of "Top of the Knee Cap, Or Below the Knee Cap Hem.

Perhaps a simple Sulu or Sarong style would be a good starting point.....Pleated garments need careful pleat maintenance in the form of steam pressing.

Simple A Line flare requires limited maintenance ...........................best of luck
With spring weather my place now tends to be a bit too warm. Yesterday I puttered around home wearing the closest thing at hand-a RunningKilt-and no shirt. Worked well at keeping a decent appearance, while keeping me cool. As I have mentioned before, the garment is basically a short A-line design.
K_Highlander

Post by K_Highlander »

KellyRain:
any updates on your project to create a line of skirts?
K