Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:
Sinned wrote:And another: "Doctor, Doctor, I think that I'm a pair of curtains." Doctor, "Stand over there and pull yourself together."
My computer, modest by today's standards, has 1,000,000 times the memory and is 1,500 times faster than the computer that took Americans to the surface of the moon and back. And I used it to read the above.
My, how far we've come since we landed men on the moon and returned them safely to the Earth [0]. It's stranger still to think that there are more people alive today that think the moon landings never happen than remember the feat when it was undertaken. Now, I suspect there's any connection between the two, but can we really say that "advanced" computing power has expanded the mind of the typical individual (induhvidual?)?

By the by, I think that million multiplier there is a wee bit high unless you've got a bit of a fatty with 76 GB of mainstore. The Apollo Guidance Computer had 38 kWords (16 bits/2 octets each, 76 kB total), of which 4kB (2kW) was read/write memory (RAM), with the rest implemented as "core rope" which was read-only (ROM) and stored the actual programming code. It was also low-powered for the day, because by the end of that decade we were closing in on 1 MIPS (Million Instructions Per Second) machinery with wider word-widths still, some up to 72-bits wide).

[0] Sarcasm alert!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Most of us have more memory and processing in our phones now than in the first few PCs we ever used.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

dillon wrote:Most of us have more memory and processing in our phones now than in the first few PCs we ever used.
Note: Do not get me going on this train of thought. It won't be pretty.

The PC and its "OS" set the field back by better than a decade the day it was introduced. Fully multi-user/multi-tasking desktop machines existed with megabyte mainstore sizes in the late 1970s that included very "modern" features like disk-spanning and volume management. Some could even handle virtual memory, but the hardware speeds of the day made that painful (as it does today which is why we habitually over-spec the memory we buy).

Do NOT try to blithely compare yesterday's tech to today's; it was designed to do different things, for different audiences, in different settings. And yesterday's tech was pretty damned potent when it needed to be.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have never been to the Moon....our Skirt Café has " Sinned ".....................sorry...........L.O.L.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I don't want to start trouble by going off topic , but I wonder if anyone had any comments about men wearing dresses in public
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Speaking of men in dresses. am I allowed to speak of male garments which are not what a female would call a Dress ?

I have spoken on another thread regarding the possibility of a Roman Centurian style tunic as an alternative to wearing a female dress ?

As far as I can remember this suggestion was considered to be ridiculous......The Question I am now asking is what is considered to be
ridiculous if a male wishes to wear a female dress style of garment If the male does not wish to appear as a male in a female dress.

The point I am trying to clarify Is that some may wish to appear in a female dress, Others may wish to wear a male garment which does not
look like a female dress......My Line of thought is with a male who does not wish to wear a female dress as the garment is worn by the female.

This area of male tunic style garment has proved to be a stumbling block for the male who is already confident to attire himself as a Man wearing a skirt...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Awhile back somebody started a thread, which had a reference to a habit (such as worn by monks). So, yes, we have seen discussion of garments that hang from the shoulders, but are distinguishable from a woman's dress.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

If anybody tries to throw Deuteronomy at me I tell them this is what the Roman praetorian guard was wearing just about the time it was written
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

That fellow Ron started a thread about his life in caftans.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

oldsalt1 wrote:If anybody tries to throw Deuteronomy at me I tell them this is what the Roman praetorian guard was wearing just about the time it was written
If Moses wrote Deuteronomy, it was between 1250 and 1500 BC. If you trust modern liberal scholarship, it would be in the 600s BC. Either way, it was before the dates of the Roman praetorian guard, the earliest dates around 275 BC.

But I think you are right in the main point, few if any men around were wearing trousers when it was written.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

No Jim you are wrong his name was Roman Praetorian he was a night watchman (guard ) for the Etruscan king :lol: :lol: :lol:
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

oldsalt1 wrote:If anybody tries to throw Deuteronomy at me I tell them this is what the Roman praetorian guard was wearing just about the time it was written
Quick in and out here...

I used to respond to that with a lengthy response and other, more likely translations of the text, none of them being dresses, skirts or pants.

Nowadays I just ask: "does God change?" (The correct answer is no, God is the same yesterday, today and tomorrow.) In Genesis, after the fall, and in the process of kicking Adam and Eve out of the Garden, God clothes both of them.

The Hebrew word is k'toneth (a long, shirt-like garment). Same word is used for Joseph's coat of many colors, and many other places.

In the Septuagint (the Greek translation of the Hebrew text) the word used is chiton. I kind of like the off-the-shoulder knee-length version.

In the Latin translation of Jerome, the word used is tunicas.

See a pattern here?

For what it is worth, I had to go out and pick up some meds this afternoon in 9 degree F weather. So as to what I wore: support hose (Sheer Energy beige), black Lane Bryant fleece-lined tights, socks and regular shoes under a red turtle-neck under a black cable-knit long-sleeve knee-length dress and then a hoodie jacket under an overcoat with a ball cap and gloves. I'll probably wear the same thing or a close variant to work tomorrow. Wonderfully comfortable and quite warm enough.

I got to see a new doctor Monday as well since Dr. W has pretty much retired, and my new doctor is a lady. She and the nurses were all-smiles after a somewhat obvious glance at what I was wearing. :D
jamodu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by jamodu »

The Roman Empire didn't exist at the time when Deuteronomy was written.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

You know I have to admit... In all the flack I've received for wearing dresses and skirts (and it hasn't been much really), nobody has ever actually quoted Deuteronomy to me. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone has ever quoted any bit of scripture to object in my choice of clothing. And I live in the heart of bible country.... is this really that much of an issue for you guys?

Sure I've had a few call me an abomination, but that's not quoting scripture. Those few in question didn't exactly strike me as folks who knew much scripture anyway.

I mean seriously, I've had so many great comebacks rehearsed, just itching to be used and nobody will throw down with me...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

moonshadow wrote:You know I have to admit... In all the flack I've received for wearing dresses and skirts (and it hasn't been much really), nobody has ever actually quoted Deuteronomy to me. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone has ever quoted any bit of scripture to object in my choice of clothing. And I live in the heart of bible country.... is this really that much of an issue for you guys?

Sure I've had a few call me an abomination, but that's not quoting scripture. Those few in question didn't exactly strike me as folks who knew much scripture anyway.

I mean seriously, I've had so many great comebacks rehearsed, just itching to be used and nobody will throw down with me...
One of the Difficult Issues here is that some styles of Middle Eastern Traditional Garments are still worn by various "Tribes or Groups of Certain Religions "

These garments may have been worn in Classical Religious Times when the various scriptures were written but " Bible Punchers " are unable to relate their
scriptures to the history of " Classical Male Fashions.."....There is some Academic Evidence that Paintings of the Scriptures do not even show the correct
Facial Charactaristics for Gentlemen of Certain Tribes Portrayed in Classical Paintings.....In my opinion the whole historical story of the wandering of the
tribes is flawed......In the same breath I would say that many of the Scottish Portrait Paintings of the Highland Chiefs do not show the Model for
His Lordship's Fine Costumes to be His Lordship.....
I would suggest any interested party should study four or five historical reference books of his chosen subject.....
Artists are known for their Artists Licence........weeladdie