Winter in the US

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Winter in the US

Post by Jim »

Yesterday, here in northern Illinois, we had a high of about 4°F (-20°C). Wind chill much lower. I needed to go to the Post Office, so walked the half mile or so from my house. I found the post office was opening late, so I wandered around the village a half hour or so waiting for it to open.

I had on 2 denim skirts (mid-calf and ankle length) with 2 slips, and then a pair of thick tr***ers. The skirts worked well to keep me warm, similar to a mitten but over the legs. A heavy calf-length coat, mittens, and two knit hats and I was warm, so unbuttoned the coat.

Today's high is forecast as -14°F (-26°C), but then it will get cold tonight.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Winter in the US

Post by r.m.anderson »

Post Offices closed - first time since whenever (I didn't need the junk mail anyway)

Weather report:

BLOOMINGTON, MN
as of 9:41 am CST

-24°
SUNNY
feels like -48° (Windchill)
H -15° / L -30°
UV Index 1 of 10

NEXT 36 HOURS

TODAY
MOSTLY SUNNY
HIGH
-15°
0% (Precipitation)
TONIGHT
LOW
-30°
10%

THU
HIGH
-1°
20%
THU NIGHT
LOW
-6°
20%

FRI
HIGH
19°
10%

SAT
Balmy enough to have a beerski on the Patio

Sorry for the delay - had to make up a cup of hot chocolate - really hot chocolate !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

This polar vortex is certainly giving you extreme conditions

Here in S W Cornwall U K....3 c at 7 pm.....Clear star light sky ....so possible frost early morning....Has been a calm sunny day '.....quite fresh...
two sweaters , tweed jacket and foul weather jacket ....Long skirt over leggings and rubber boots for the wet ground...

Sunny day.....White wild garlic out in the Hedgerows....Pink winter flowers in gardens ...quite spring like....
With our normally mild winters the farmers harvest two crops a year.....

Hard to say what tomorrow will bring
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Cornish weather UK tomorrow...Plenty of wind and rain from the south east tomorrow morning...Might clear by lunch time
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I can't imagine how cold that must be. I get depressed in our winter where at 10C I might have to put on 2 layers - sometimes 3 where I feel like Michelin man.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Here in the (extremely!) frozen midwest, it's even unbearably cold inside with all the heaters on. I have taken to double- or triple-layering with tights and/or leggings, a sweater dress and/or my heaviest velvet maxi dress and/or a heavy wool skirt. All of that is just barely enough to keep the chill off!
Ralph!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

denimini wrote:I can't imagine how cold that must be. I get depressed in our winter where at 10C I might have to put on 2 layers - sometimes 3 where I feel like Michelin man.

I am sitting in my house with an heated vest on right now. It is so cold here it hurts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Ralph wrote:Here in the (extremely!) frozen midwest, it's even unbearably cold inside with all the heaters on. I have taken to double- or triple-layering with tights and/or leggings, a sweater dress and/or my heaviest velvet maxi dress and/or a heavy wool skirt. All of that is just barely enough to keep the chill off!
Well done Ralph....I have taken to leggings or boys long johns under my skirts ......

.I watch .." Mid West Trucks " .....called..." Rotator Truck..." ............Big time truck recovery.....

The business is recovery of trucks which run off the road....The Recovery Operator goes on scene with a video camera strapped to his forehead.

His Rig is too big to drive down our Cornish Lanes.....Interesting shots of Midwest Highways.....

There are shots from the cab when he is in a hurry with the wailer ,the flashing lights and the air horn going ...Just another Day.......

Should be interesting to see his winter work when the video comes on line.... They are emergency services road clearance contractors.....
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

This is to Ralph Weeladdie and Freedom your weather is very dangerous , take care and stay warm , But could please do me a favor and stop sending your cold weather to us on the East Coast
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I feel cooped-up inside all day, so got out for a nice brisk walk around the block yesterday afternoon when it got up to -15°F. Just a short walk, so I didn't bother putting on the p*nts under the skirts. My nose got a little chilly, but otherwise very pleasant. If I pull the ski-mask down over my face my glasses fog over, but if it gets much colder, I think I'll just take the glasses off and walk in a blur.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Jim wrote:I feel cooped-up inside all day, so got out for a nice brisk walk around the block yesterday afternoon when it got up to -15°F. Just a short walk, so I didn't bother putting on the p*nts under the skirts. My nose got a little chilly, but otherwise very pleasant. If I pull the ski-mask down over my face my glasses fog over, but if it gets much colder, I think I'll just take the glasses off and walk in a blur.
Just don't be like that Winnie the Pooh character following the tracks of the fellow in front of you -
who which every time he comes full circle another guy joins in the trek.

That beer commercial - "Know when to say when" and get out of the weather Forrest Gump -
"Stupid is what stupid does".

Yada yada yada - even my dog knows better than to test the weather !

OK you are a real tried and true die-hard - when you turn blue it is Blue Cross & Blue Shield for you !

Stay and keep warm after your excursion with nature !

I nose cold when I sees cold - that white out is frost bite - the bite comes in the thawing process !

Enough of this malarkey - drink two shots of this Irish stuff and simmer down - anti-freeze only
works on cars.

This just in the latest:
Beach front property now available in Siberia - former gulags are being made into time shares -
The Australian Outback is becoming the newest desert development - more sand in the desert !

Now back to you regular frozen forecasts - - -
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Buddy Holley died in a plane crash in 1959 .....His songs will always be remembered.....if I remember the story correctly the whole Tour Group of Artists
spent one night in the tour bus, stuck in a Mid West Snow Drift....On the move to the next gig , Buddy and two of his fellow artists went on ahead in a light aircraft
and crashed in the snow ......Anyone old enough to remember that story....I must have been twelve years old at that time
wow...sixty years ago.....weeeladdie
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

weeladdie18 wrote:Buddy Holley died in a plane crash in 1959 .....His songs will always be remembered.....if I remember the story correctly the whole Tour Group of Artists
spent one night in the tour bus, stuck in a Mid West Snow Drift....On the move to the next gig , Buddy and two of his fellow artists went on ahead in a light aircraft
and crashed in the snow ......Anyone old enough to remember that story....I must have been twelve years old at that time
I remember of it - was my senior high school year.
Heart throb music for my teenage years.

LINK to a great deal of information about the crash:

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_yl ... pe=sbc_dsl

Crash happened at Clear Lake Iowa about 130 miles south of the Minneapolis/St Paul area 90 miles north of Des Moines.

Winter weather icing of the aircraft surfaces always was a critical factor.
right in my back yard so to speak.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
WHY ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

r.m.anderson wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Buddy Holley died in a plane crash in 1959 .....His songs will always be remembered.....if I remember the story correctly the whole Tour Group of Artists

Crash happened at Clear Lake Iowa about 130 miles south of the Minneapolis/St Paul area 90 miles north of Des Moines.

Thanks for your information.....first thought...Just over a week ago An Argenitian Football star was on transfer from
Nantes In France to Cardiff in Wales..He went back to France in a Piper Light Aircraft to see his old friends and ten returned
to Wales ...The Pilot radioed into Guernsey Air traffic control to request reducing height due to Icing....

The plane disappeared off the radar in the English Channel....They are now preparing an under water search for the lost plane
When we were discussing this story in the café ,
I immediatley said ....Buddy holly was lost in a plane Crash in1959, but his songs will always be remembered...

One of my old school friends who I met in 1951 told me about Buddy Holly when we were playing his big sisters records

Mike Berry and the Outlaws made a tribute to Buddy Holly....One day we went out across the hedge tops in the snow
to see a Drott Digger buried in a snow drift...We were 760 feet up in the Dorset Hills .....twenty miles from the sea.

Our friendship parted when I left school and went out to work for a living....About 23 years later we were talking
to his mother.....
My friend had worked as a trucker...moving sheep from Scotland to Italy every week.
One day he went into one of his truck stops ....The waitress looked at him and said "You do not look well.Sit down and
I will bring you a cup of tea.....She went to his table and he was dead at the table....He had died from a brain tumour..
My school friend was only forty years old when he died......
I trust you will agree that is a scary story for the first DAY of FEBUARY over Thirty years later in my life ......weeladdie..
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

r.m.anderson wrote:

Thanks for your information.....first thought...Just over a week ago An Argenitian Football star was on transfer from
Nantes In France to Cardiff in Wales..He went back to France in a Piper Light Aircraft to see his old friends and ten returned
to Wales ...The Pilot radioed into Guernsey Air traffic control to request reducing height due to Icing....

The plane disappeared off the radar in the English Channel....They are now preparing an under water search for the lost plane
When we were discussing this story in the café ,
I immediatley said ....Buddy holly was lost in a plane Crash in1959, but his songs will always be remembered...

One of my old school friends who I met in 1951 told me about Buddy Holly when we were playing his big sisters records

Mike Berry and the Outlaws made a tribute to Buddy Holly....#
One day we went out across the hedge tops in the snow with my Mother to see a Drott Digger buried in a snow drift...
We were 760 feet up in the Dorset Hills .....twenty miles from the sea.

Our friendship parted when I left school and went out to work for a living....About 23 years later we were talking
to his mother.....
My friend had worked as a trucker...moving sheep from Scotland to Italy every week.
One day he went into one of his truck stops ....The waitress looked at him and said "You do not look well.Sit down and
I will bring you a cup of tea.....She went to his table and he was dead at the table....He had died from a brain tumour..
My school friend was only forty years old when he died......
I trust you will agree that is a scary story for the FIRST DAY of FEBUARY over Thirty years later in my life ......weeladdie..