Starting a line of skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Permission

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:A bathrobe is the one open ended garment that the average male owns/wears. I have noticed that you can buy night shirts online.

So there is cultural permission for men to wear some open ended garments at home.
Even at home, as many of our fellow contributors can attest, we may still be in the closet.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Starting a line of skirts

Post by Daryl »

Grok wrote:
Daryl wrote: You know, we've discussed this a lot here. I used to think the design or style of skirt was a key factor in uptake by men in general, but now I think it is not so much that as simple permission: men still don't feel it is permitted.
How do men (excluding mavericks) get permission? How do you overcome the Taboo?
Only mavericks overcome the taboo. For permission, you need to become trans.

The situation is analogous to interracial marriage, I think, in that there was never a point at which the taboo went away. It just sort of faded over time as a consequence of lovebirds becoming mavericks (often with unpleasant consequences). That happened in the atmosphere of racial discrimination having already become delegitimised. By making discrimination illegal, its social uncoolness was accelerated.

The analogous atmosphere for men in skirts does not exist except under the banner of trans rights. In the case of interracial marriage there was also a cultural bias towards love --"love and marriage" as the theme song of the famous American sitcom goes. Love had the power to trump hate. Heady stuff. What has the power to trump pants? Nothing quite so compelling.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Happy-N-Skirts wrote:If women like men in skirts, men will wear skirts. Market men's skirts to women who will buy them for their men. Advertise women approving and admiring men in skirts doing male activities. I have received a lot of compliments from women while I was wearing skirts. One of my wife's friends is coming over today and I promised I would be wearing a skirt. She liked it the last time she was here. `
Make the skirts that women would buy for their men, and then market to those women, not to men. Truly brilliant! :thewave:

I NEVER had so many approving comments from women as when I wore kilts. I even had them want to have their pictures taken with me, on several occasions. So my conclusion would be to include a fairly kiltish skirt design as the bow of the marketing ship, but back it up with some affordable other types for when men are ready to go further, always respecting masculine norms as much as possible. (those of us who want them can still get our flowery numbers from women's stores, for now)
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:Ever tried job hunting in a skirt?
Not yet, but I'm certain that time will come.

In places with a healthy economy it's likely easier to do so because the downside cross-section is smaller. In places with unhealthy or wrecked economies, one has to play all sorts of games to even retain a job so one toes the line very, very carefully.

I've got an agreement with the Boss at work, and he knows that I will in no way bring disrepute to the Company, and when operating in a mode where I represent the Company I peg things at a notch well above "business casual" (pretty much a suit minus the jacket) and with unobtrusive restraints for my hair (usually a very simple pony elastic). Since I tend not to talk much about my work, save for generalities, and never mention who I work for, that's not a problem. So that works.

I suspect actually getting a(nother) job here -- assuming that one can get past all the "screening" stages to get an interview (which is in no means any sort of "given") -- a skirted outfit could well nix any sort of deal at the outset unless the interviewer is a free-thinker and needs to fill a position quickly. The skirt would be entirely incidental, but the average person follows their indoctrination even if they're not aware of it. Frequently that can involve a loss for all parties.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Daryl wrote:
Happy-N-Skirts wrote:If women like men in skirts, men will wear skirts. Market men's skirts to women who will buy them for their men. Advertise women approving and admiring men in skirts doing male activities. I have received a lot of compliments from women while I was wearing skirts. One of my wife's friends is coming over today and I promised I would be wearing a skirt. She liked it the last time she was here. `
Make the skirts that women would buy for their men, and then market to those women, not to men. Truly brilliant! :thewave:

I NEVER had so many approving comments from women as when I wore kilts. I even had them want to have their pictures taken with me, on several occasions. So my conclusion would be to include a fairly kiltish skirt design as the bow of the marketing ship, but back it up with some affordable other types for when men are ready to go further, always respecting masculine norms as much as possible. (those of us who want them can still get our flowery numbers from women's stores, for now)
.....ROMAN SOLDIER'S UNIFORM..........

For a simple Kilt like male skirt I would suggest a Kilt length Sunray pleated skirt with an elasticated waist.
At a quick glance this style of garment would give the same outline as a Kilt and be considerably cheaper to produce...I have found one of these garments to be
particularly comfortable and stiff to wear....Not common as a female style of skirt...not even popular as a school uniform style.

I recently found a reissue of the 1951 Issue of the Film .......Quo Vadis......the skirt portion of the Roman Centurian is worn as an unpleated above the knee skirt
with a separate Armour Strip over garment....This does break up the female skirt like look of the outfit......
.The Armour over skirt is worn on its own male belt ,....perhaps with matching waistcoat

Quo Vadis is reissued as a D.V.D. at £5 U.K.....Worth looking at to see how Warner Brothers Roman Soldiers wear their costume..A simple Classical male outfit.

I found my D.V.D. in a supermarket. ......I have no idea what might happen if Kelly Rain held a Japanese Roman Orgy in his café............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The Roman Soldier's Tunic.

I have looked more closely at this style of Actors Costume used in Quo Vadis.......The garment is possibly parallel sides from the shoulders to hem
There is a box pleated tuck at the waist to give a correct male waist size, but no pressed pleats.

There may or may not be a further box pleat at each hip....This will give a slight flare at the hem....This increases the length of the hem to give
free movement for the male stride without giving the excessive flare of an A Line Shape...this might give a trapysium shape to the pattern

A multi size Dress Makers pattern for this style of Classical Male Garment would be interesting to see......Somewhere I have a simple
Fancy Dress Roman Tunic...Perhaps belt loops in the correct places would produce the loose box pleat at centre front and each hip.

I would wear this type of garment wit a belt and simple drovers sporran on the belt.....A simple way to create a casual male tunic.
Could be turned out by a dress maker like hot pies.....Prduction time ....Five to Ten Minutes with a modern Industrial Machine.......weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Roman Soldiers Tunic.....we are now getting back to our old Issue ...If I wear an R,S.T........
some may say that I am wearing a dress and not a male Tunic...It is unfortunate that The Great Unwashed are also uneducated .....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Roman Tunic Armour Skirt.....Some of the vertical leather strips are embossed with square metal plates . When worn over the white tunic this
gives the effect of a tartan pattern....so the lower garment could be mistaken for being a Tartan Kilt
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

weeladdie18 wrote:Roman Tunic Armour Skirt.....Some of the vertical leather strips are embossed with square metal plates . When worn over the white tunic this
gives the effect of a tartan pattern....so the lower garment could be mistaken for being a Tartan Kilt
I am really unsure how desirable such a subterfuge would be beneficial in any practical sense. Once discovered, the wearer would be just as likely to be held up as an object of ridicule.
"Joe Public's" capacities, physical and mental, are only to be underestimated at one's own peril.
KellyRain, if you can now produce the ultimate skirt which will be all things to all genders, then you will have a real winner.
Man, you have certainly set some challenge for yourself and I sincerely wish that you do have success with it too.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

STEVIE wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Roman Tunic Armour Skirt.....Some of the vertical leather strips are embossed with square metal plates . When worn over the white tunic this
I am really unsure how desirable such a subterfuge would be beneficial in any practical sense. Once discovered, the wearer would be just as likely to be held up as an object of ridicule.
"Joe Public's" capacities, physical and mental, are only to be underestimated at one's own peril.
KellyRain, if you can now produce the ultimate skirt which will be all things to all genders, then you will have a real winner.
Man, you have certainly set some challenge for yourself and I sincerely wish that you do have success with it too.
Steve.
Fair comment Stevie....however Joe Public may be so set in his ways that any man in a skirt would be an item of ridicule...

These ideas must be considered as random thoughts rather than any practical development in the KellyRain Project....

Going back to my recent thoughts ...do we want to wear a skirt which might be worn by a female or a skirt specifically designed for a " Man in a Skirt " ?

We have come to a flaw in the " man in a skirt " ...or.... " Man in a Male Garment " ... argument.....

Some suggest that a Traditional Scottish Kilt is a male garment....others suggest that A man in a traditional Scottish Kilt is wearing a skirt....

Is it your opinion that a.... " Man in a Traditional Scottish Kilt ...would be open to ridicule from Joe Public....... ....when we are considering

marketing a Male Garment to possibly be worn for House Parties in Japan......... ?

Please remember that as far as I am aware my current thoughts are regarding a Japanese Internal Market rather than an International Market.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

One of the problems to be resolved is to consider how popular are " regional male garments " in Countries other than their Country of Origin.

One of the other issues I am considering is the concept of developing a cheap and simple garment for KellyRain and his team to manufacture and
market in Japan.....Somewhere else in the World there may be a successful spin off from this Japanese Idea.....

Generally speaking there is no male garment which has become popular for all the ...." Men In Skirts ".... to purchase and to wear.......

...............WHY HAS THIS SITUATION OCCURED ? ? ? ? ?
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote: Going back to my recent thoughts ...do we want to wear a skirt which might be worn by a female or a skirt specifically designed for a " Man in a Skirt " ?
As I recall this has been discussed before. In theory a skirt intended for both men and women might be commercially viable, where as one intended specifically for males might not.
Last edited by Grok on Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Weeladdie,
I have made my opinion perfectly clear regarding "The Kilt" elsewhere and see no need to repeat it here.
The potential for ridicule is based on the caricature of a veritablle fancy dress costume being mistaken for a properly recognised garment.
Steve.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Grok wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote: Going back to my recent thoughts ...do we want to wear a skirt which might be worn by a female or a skirt specifically designed for a " Man in a Skirt " ?
As I recall that this has been discussed before. In theory a skirt intended for both men and women might be commercially viable, where as one intended specifically for males might not.
It has, Grok, and I agree with your assessment that versatile skirt design serves both women and men. Too, if skirts are made to the higher construction standard that men need, women also benefit. Men benefit by having a greater choice of design and fabric.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirtcraft web site

Post by Grok »

And there is the issue of womens' skirts lacking decent pockets.