Am I crazy?!?! Do we have spellcheck now???

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Am I crazy?!?! Do we have spellcheck now???

Post by Freedomforall »

Yes I am crazy to provide my own answer to my first question. However, that is a trivial matter. I am curious. Spellcheck was not always available on the cafe. Is that right or am I imagining things???? Thank you to whomever is responsible.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Am I crazy?!?! Do we have spellcheck now???

Post by pelmut »

Freedomforall wrote:Yes I am crazy to provide my own answer to my first question. However, that is a trivial matter. I am curious. Spellcheck was not always available on the cafe. Is that right or am I imagining things???? Thank you to whomever is responsible.
Thar's no speelchk heer, it mist be sumthin difffurnt abt ur browser.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Deefinitely clyent-side. :twisted:

In all seriousness, an in-line server-side spelling checker would be difficult at best and potentially impossible at worst to implement, and altogether impractical given the diverse languages that we use here (mostly variants of English, but with subtly-different spellings, idioms, and grammars). Keeping all of that straight on the server end would be very difficult especially as many folks never change their geographical location from the default.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

There must be something working in the background. Even though I think things are set for English-GB on this site as opposed to English-American. When I type in words like colour or demeanour the words have a red, wavy underline presumably indicating a word not in its dictionary. Yet to type color or demeanor is accepted and no red, wavy underline is visible. If I type tyope then the red, wavy underline is there, presumably indicating an unrecognised word. There we go again with unrecognised and unrecognized!!!! This Americanisation ( Americanization? ) sometimes get on my t*ts! :lol:
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:There must be something working in the background.
If anything changed in the background with the software running on the Skirt Cafe (virtual) server, I suspect I'd know something about it. :wink: I've done nothing to the software nor the configuration.
Even though I think things are set for English-GB on this site as opposed to English-American.
Check your browser or the locale your machine is running in.
This Americanisation ( Americanization? ) sometimes get on my t*ts! :lol:
The former, please.

Perhaps Redmond did something in an update...
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

My browsers (not to mention my phone) have been highlighting my typos for years. Firefox puts a wiggly red underline beneath any words it doesn't have in its dictionary.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I use Firefox and it has a build in spell checker and will try to keep me from sending wrongly spelt words in my post. Also some of my other programs use the Firefox dictionary to check spelling. :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Freedomforall wrote:Yes I am crazy to provide my own answer to my first question. However, that is a trivial matter. I am curious. Spellcheck was not always available on the cafe. Is that right or am I imagining things???? Thank you to whomever is responsible.
For me this system sometimes works automatically........or displays alternative spellings of a word .....
I still compose post on Skirt Café using windows 8.1.. weeladdie
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:Deefinitely clyent-side. :twisted:

In all seriousness, an in-line server-side spelling checker would be difficult at best and potentially impossible at worst to implement, and altogether impractical given the diverse languages that we use here (mostly variants of English, but with subtly-different spellings, idioms, and grammars). Keeping all of that straight on the server end would be very difficult especially as many folks never change their geographical location from the default.
Allow me to translate that.

It's your computer not Skirt Cafe. :mrgreen:
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I post from U.K. with U.K. grammar spelling so I must have a Built In U.K. Spelling Default..... However I do tend to use a Technical Author style
of grammar and word composition .....I may use Capital Letters to highlight words for Rapid Reading
I do not always read Text , sometimes I Scan Text for Key Words .............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

No Location shows on R.H. sid of my screen ......The word " sid " has not been automatically corrected , but UNDER LINED.....
I HAVE NOW MANUALLY USED CAPS lock,...then disengaged " Caps Lock "....My Name hasno capitals and Hasno was not automatically corrected
but is underlined in RED............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

What colour American Cars have Petrol Enginges aand White wall Tyres ....misspelt has been auto corrected but Enginges aand is underlined....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Going Off Topic ....Does anyone know the Derivation of " W.O.G. " as used by the British Army in The Middle East ? ...........? weeladdie
trainspotter48
Member Extraordinaire

Post by trainspotter48 »

I think I do, but I'm not going to put it into print, as I suspect it's not politically correct.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I heard it was "Wiley Oriental Gentleman", but I'm sure there are other explanations far worse than that
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.