The little joys of life...

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Re: The little joys of life...

Post by dillon »

I think eating liver is the right thing to do. Not because it tastes good or is good for you but because raising meat is costly to the environment and has ethical repercussions for the distribution of resources, especially food, on this planet. Although liver is a good iron source, iron can also be supplied by leafy green vegetables. Overall the health risk from liver and other organ meats is not insignificant. The liver is a main point of bioaccumulation for heavy metals, persistent organic chemicals, synthetic growth hormones, and antibiotics. Too, certain organs can vector pathogens of concern such as bovine spongiform encephalopathy or mad cow disease. That one generally is transmitted through brain tissue. So, I think we owe it to the planet to fully consume all animal parts, and if we are concerned about their content of bad stuff then let’s re-examine the ways we raise meat animals and the materials we add to their feeds and to our soils. I’m not an advocate for organic food because its production comes with its own set of real environmental consequences, but there is much we can do to improve conventional farming, and, of course we can do much by simply reducing our consumption of meats. We just have to reassess the real costs of each type of food on our table both from its production consequences and its health benefits and consequences.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've always assumed we do use every part of the animal in commercial production. Frankly it just makes economic sense to do so.

Don't all those less popular parts just wind up in cans of potted meat and Vienna sausages?
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Dead right, Moon. Prime example is the Krauts who simply LOVE their processed meats, especially fatty ones.

Frankly I avoid the whole lot of 'em like the Plague, but the odd bit of fine duck-liver pate spread on a fresh roll can go down well.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Sae let the Lord be thankit! Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some would eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit.

The Selkirk Grace by Robert Burns

Says it offally better than I ever could.
Steve.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Now and then I like to make the food my mother made in the Netherlands. Not always are the right ingredients available but I try to get is as close as possible. A lot of Dutch dishes shine in the winter period because they provide a lot of energy from just a few simple vegetables. Also the making is simple, put the stuff in a pot, just cook it and mash it. Mashing is stampen in Dutch so a lot of those dishes are called stamppot. Yesterday it was a dish with patatoes, carrots, onions and meat. In Dutch it is called "peen en uien" or "hutspot." According to folklore, after the siege of the city of Leiden by the Spaniards where the Dutch rebels opened the dykes to get rid of the Spaniards, the hungry people from Leiden found cooking pots with this hutspot.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_October_Festival

What I made tasted quite good, even without the right meat. It brought back memories of snow in the streets, the wind howling around the house and the family around the dinner table, just like it did yesterday. Even if it felt I was on a different planet. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

STEVIE wrote:...
The Selkirk Grace by Robert Burns
There is a little-known Somerset aftergrace (said after the meal), which my father claimed to have heard in Radstock:

"God be praised
me belly's raised
an inch above the table.

I be damned
if I aint crammed
as full as I be able.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Says it offally better than I ever could.
Sssssssssss.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

moonshadow wrote:I've always assumed we do use every part of the animal in commercial production. Frankly it just makes economic sense to do so.

Don't all those less popular parts just wind up in cans of potted meat and Vienna sausages?
Some undesirable animal products go into pet food, but much of the waste fats and protein from slaughter houses and abattoirs are “rendered” I.e. cooked down, dried, and then added back into feed rations. You’ve heard of “dog-eat-dog” but probably weren’t aware of “hog-eat-hog.”
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

dillon wrote: Some undesirable animal products go into pet food, but much of the waste fats and protein from slaughter houses and abattoirs are “rendered” I.e. cooked down, dried, and then added back into feed rations. You’ve heard of “dog-eat-dog” but probably weren’t aware of “hog-eat-hog.”
Yes, I seem to recall touring the sausage plant where my father worked long ago. I noticed they were shoveling the hog guts down a chute. When I asked what do they do with it, he said it goes on a truck and they send it off to make pet food out of it.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.