Skirting Films

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Skirting Films

Post by FranTastic444 »

Had a search of the forum and I couldn't find this topic being covered elsewhere. I thought I'd open up a thread for films / characters in films where there is some skirting going on.

Breakfast On Pluto. Cillian Murphy is an abandoned child in Northern Ireland who is raised by an abusive foster mother. He is caught out cross dressing and misbehaving at his Catholic school where he expresses his feminine side. Watching this part of his early life, I was reminded of reading the Eddie Izzard biography - seeing a male deeply affected by the absence of a mother and connecting to her by dressing as a female. The is an adaptation of a book which I feel may have been a lot grittier than the film turned out. There is still plenty to like in the film though - Murphy's acting (as well as that from the support cast) is top drawer. I loved the music and they did what, to me at least, looked like a good representation of early to mid 1970's Ireland and London. I was Wombles mad as a kid and it really took me back to my formative years to see them feature in this film :-) The film is currently free on Amazon for those who have Prime.

One of the tracks played was Hear Me Calling by Slade. I'm very familiar with their hits, but seeing this track being played live has given me a new respect for these old rockers. The reason for mentioning it here - take a look at the clothes, particularly the shoes that the guys are wearing. Certainly looks like some clothing freestylin' going on there that many on this forum would thoroughly approve of :-)
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Skirting Films

Post by Freedomforall »

Looks like I can watch it on Amazon Prime for free. Thank you for the recommendation.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

One of the tracks played was Hear Me Calling by Slade. I'm very familiar with their hits, but seeing this track being played live has given me a new respect for these old rockers. The reason for mentioning it here - take a look at the clothes, particularly the shoes that the guys are wearing. Certainly looks like some clothing freestylin' going on there that many on this forum would thoroughly approve of :-)
Not a big deal with the boots or as Billy Joel said in" Keeping the faith"
We wore Matador boots only flag brothers had them with the Cuban heel
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

FranTastic444 wrote:One of the tracks played was Hear Me Calling by Slade. I'm very familiar with their hits, but seeing this track being played live has given me a new respect for these old rockers. The reason for mentioning it here - take a look at the clothes, particularly the shoes that the guys are wearing. Certainly looks like some clothing freestylin' going on there that many on this forum would thoroughly approve of :-)
Yes, the 1970s -- the last flowering of the age of the male peacock. I hope it returns, and I'm fighting for that, but it's a rear-guard action to be sure and, I suspect, unlikely to succeed. Oh, well.

The heels are not unusual for the era, the orange jumpsuit is a bit, but everything else is in keeping with the time.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I forgot about The Dressmaker. This is a fantastically bonkers film that I've seen a few times. The cross dressing character is a camped-up caricature for comic effect, but the part is played well by Hugo Weaving and carries no malice. Kate Winslet is great in the lead role.

This film is also available for free on Amazon Prime in the US.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

It's hard to find men in skirts in non-crossdressing and non-historical contexts. One I can think of offhand is Adam Scott's character in Hot Tub Time Machine 2.
Daryl...
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

Yes Daryl - I think you have done well to come up with a film where the guy is wearing a skirt "just because" or as a fashion statement. Knowing that the film is a bit of a clunker, I'm not sure whether I'll watch it :-)

I guess my original motivation for posting this thread was to be able to comment on whether the guys in films wearing women's clothes would pass muster with the good people on this forum. With this in mind, I think the Adam Scott outfit looks good and I'd go as far as to say that the Clark Duke ensemble looks to have been inspired by clothes from the other side of the aisle (they look like women's trousers and maybe jacket to me).

jmiller842
Distinguished Member

Post by jmiller842 »

oldsalt1 wrote:
Not a big deal with the boots or as Billy Joel said in" Keeping the faith"
We wore Matador boots only flag brothers had them with the Cuban heel
"Iridescent socks with the same colour shirt and a tight pair of chinos.
Put on my sharkskin jacket, you know the kind with the velvet collar,
and diddy bop shades, yeah
We were keepin' the faith."

One of my favourites. Thanks for memory OS.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

FranTastic444 wrote:I forgot about The Dressmaker. This is a fantastically bonkers film that I've seen a few times. The cross dressing character is a camped-up caricature for comic effect, but the part is played well by Hugo Weaving and carries no malice. Kate Winslet is great in the lead role.

I am going to watch this now. I have been almost completely bed ridden the last few days with my back. I need something entertaining, and hopefully this will be it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

jmiller842 wrote:One of my favourites. Thanks for memory OS.
Also from Keepin' the Faith:

I found you could dance //
And still look tough anyway
Oh yes I did //
I found out a man ain't just being macho
Ate an awful lot of late night drive-in food //
Drank a lot of take home pay

It turns out there's quite a lot of wisdom in that piece of music if you're attentive enough to listen. If you haven't time to listen, but can read quickly, lyrics are available. One of my other favourites of his is We Didn't Start the Fire. Piano Man obviously ranks in the top spot:

The piano sounds like a carnival //
and the microphone smells like a beer
And they sit at the bar //
and throw bread in my jar
and say, "Man what are you doing here"

Ah, the travails of youth -- when we were still allowed to live it and learn from it. Today's youth don't seem to get that for the most part, which is entirely sad, and by missing out on it they're compromised when mummy and daddy are no longer capable of taking care of them.

My favourite lyric, though, I suspect is from Warren Zevon's Lawyers, Guns, and Money which starts off with:

I went home with the waitress //
the way I always do
How was I to know //
she was with the Russians, too
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Freedomforall wrote:
FranTastic444 wrote:I forgot about The Dressmaker. This is a fantastically bonkers film that I've seen a few times. The cross dressing character is a camped-up caricature for comic effect, but the part is played well by Hugo Weaving and carries no malice. Kate Winslet is great in the lead role.

I am going to watch this now. I have been almost completely bed ridden the last few days with my back. I need something entertaining, and hopefully this will be it.
A good film. We went to see it in the lovely old theater in Thalian Hall. I was skirted, needless to say.

One of my favorites that had a brief bit of cross dressing was Billy Elliot.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

I'm not a Trekkie, butthis article reckons that male uniforms included 'the skant' at one point. I presume that this was on the tv shows rather than film?
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Was watching an old episode of “800 Words” tonight and noted a Maori character (male) wearing a long white skirt while officiating in a village cricket match. That was a nice treat.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

FranTastic444 wrote:I'm not a Trekkie, butthis article reckons that male uniforms included 'the skant' at one point. I presume that this was on the tv shows rather than film?
I had heard about this before, and I've got a picture saved somewhere. Basically, they put skirts on a couple of the male extras who wander the halls of the ship in the background of few episodes.