Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by moonshadow »

Thanks kinda neat with the frosty winter trees along the bottom... but what's the deal with the design along the top?
oldsalt1 wrote:and don't worry you wont push any buttons
It doesn't appear to have any buttons Dan..! :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

never realized there were trees thought it was just an abstract pattern have to take a better look
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:never realized there were trees thought it was just an abstract pattern have to take a better look
Ahh yes, it's a pattern right up my alley. When I see it, I'm taken back to those frosty winter nights wandering around the Jefferson National Forest in Pulaski County after midnight under the moon light, gazing upon the silhouette of the evergreens against the inky starry sky...

Good stuff....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Been a rough day I think there is only one way to get this back on target. I think it is a little to feminine and don't worry you wont push any buttons It has to be the lighting because the entire pattern matches the brown on the top
We all have "days like that", so don't overly worry about it.

Now, on the dress, I've got a couple of questions on it, mainly of fabric and pattern. It looks Chinese (as in Chinese culture, not manufacture), so I'm quite naturally wondering if it's silk (a superior fabric!) and what the pattern actually is because there's not really enough detail even in the full-screen version to say much.

Curious minds are, well, curious.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Its a simple poly and cotton top I came across a site rotita clothing when I clicked on it this top came up just when somebody was talking about Jeff and his tunic tops with tights. . Its funny it came from I think china there are no labels not even care labels It was supposed to be shorter it was $24 I don't have any more info than that. Take a look at the sight it seems to cater to women with a certain body type.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

oldsalt1 wrote:Been a rough day I think there is only one way to get this back on target. I think it is a little to feminine and don't worry you wont push any buttons It has to be the lighting because the entire pattern matches the brown on the top
it looks great on you. I like it well done :thewave:
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I like the trees pattern but I'm not sure that the shoulder squiggle adds anything. You look good as always but still not sure about the pattern in its entirety.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

The trees are there and that thing on the shoulder is the puzzling part. The overall look is really nice, looking good Dan...
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Feminine? Maybe! But you definitely look good in it!!! It's a yes from me!!!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Just in case anyone is still interested in the non-skirt political issues, I am going to write a post in the "Off Topic" section to lay out my 2 cents' worth.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I think I should stick to pictures , I get in less trouble that way
Supposed to have some rough weather need gas for the snow blower
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

As a resume ;......I was unsure regarding wearing a dress last april....I have worn a dresss several times ,but I am still not entirely satisfied with the idea
of being a man in a dress....I find the idea of wearing a skirt far more simple......

When the weather turned colder , I took to wearing leggings or long johns and Knee high boots under my skirts . For some reason I have gone back to
wearing shoes and ankle socks with bare legs my winter skirts ......perhaps I have acclimatised to going out in cooler weather.....

We seem to get odd cold days ...plenty of Northerly Wind....Over the past week in S.W. U.K. daytime temperature has varied between 5 and 12 C ..
A PROPER GROUND FROST with the eclipse of the moon last night ....daytime temperature returned to 8 C

Snow is forecast for the rest of U.K. ....Temperatures should rise again by the week end .

I saw a big moon , just after Midnight and again at dawn...did not show any discolourisation at these times ...At dawn the Eclipse showed at periphery of moon..
.....they do say lower pressure... and the moon can affect the way folks think...............

Sunday 13 January was St Hilary's Day ....supposed to be the coldest day of winter in medieval times ......I would expect Snow Problems in March.

How are folks dressing this time of year ?
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

How are folks dressing this time of year ?

About the same as the rest of the year, except that the dresses that are clearly Summer dresses are in my other closet and I either wear long sleeved items or a long-sleeved top of some sort under the sleeveless dresses. I also wear more tights and especially on rainy days, boots.

Sorry gents, but I just don't get the hesitation around wearing dresses in public. Dresses are MUCH easier. If it's a popover style, that's all there is to putting it on, popping it over your head. No zippers or buttons you can't reach because you're a muscle-bound male instead of a limber, flexible female. It's like putting on a t-shirt, a very long t-shirt.

With dresses there are no waistband to constrict you, no worries about it sliding off of your hips. None of that. All up, as a lady friend said, "They're so damned comfortable!"

Styling is a snap. The designer has already coordinated the top and bottom for you. Dur! There's an incredible range of colors, styles and patterns to choose from.

Best of all, as they put it on American Style last night, during the late '70's and '80's American stylists were designing clothes for the newly emerging professional women who were trying to break into the boys' club of more powerful, better paying jobs. To help them fit in they came out with clothes that looked like what men would wear if we wore dresses to work. (I have, what are YOU waiting for.) Jackets fashioned after men's suit jackets, jacket dresses, shifts, other simple, straight-lined dresses with the patterns, colors and materials used in men's suits. Those styles are still available because they work so well. For both women and men!

Break your self-crafted chains and enjoy our birthright! The French word for dress is "robe;" those long, flowing things that kings and other powerful nobles wore. Got it? Now get 'em and wear them. Proudly. Confidently. PUBLICLY!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for that Dave , I have a nice black number, worn below the knee ,...........zip at the back .......V neck ........
ideal for wearing with a white shirt, collar and tie , very smart and comfortable with a male sports jacket, I will say again ; the jacket has enough pockets
for the usual personal male junk..........ideal for the winter....but I never bother to consider wearing a dress ....

Two other dresses in the wardrobe ......shift dresses ....just cannot be bothered to put them on.....strange way of thinking ......................
When I wear these garments , I have no problems.....Perhaps I just wear a skirt, as I have been wearing skirts for years.....Any further thoughts ...........?

Some " Men in Skirts " ....are just reluctant to go out as men in dresses...........

Did anyone see the news clip of the concept of Infant Italian Children of both sexes upto the age of ten years old
going back to wearing school smocks over their traditional school uniforms ?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for pictures Old Salt...does show that we can wear our dresses any length we fancy .....If you get bad snow ,we might get it in 3 weeks time