Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Dress in Public Today

Post by weeladdie18 »

oldsalt1 wrote:I am getting extremely annoyed at the direction of this blog .This was started under freestyle fashion , it is not an not off topic political discussion I really don't think that it was beachlions intention to insult weeladdie , I thing the intentions were somewhat lost in the translation. If you want to make political comments do it someplace else. and before you start to make glib comments about patriotism and especially the pledge. I am going to quote a sentence from the movie " A few good men " "Pick up a weapon and stand a post"
Thank you for your wise judgement on the Statement made by H.G. Wells curca 1914 and the statement made by my father regarding
his thoughts in 1938.....The Quote is not the same wording.....I was correct in the World War to which I was referring........

I trust Beachlion will bare with me on this one.

It is perhaps unfortunate that the topic drifted from " Wearing A Dress in Public Today ", to Human Rights in 1960's and 1970's....

With regard to thread drift, please allow me to quote ;......." Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.."
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Two days ago we had a clear star light sky and temperature down to 3 C with a snow warning light visible in my car....
yesterday we had an early morning frost.....so I went out in my black leggings and a knitted woollen skirt.......

Perhaps the current female fashion may catch on for " Men in Dresses "......Black leggings and a short tunic shift dress.....
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Let's see, where to begin without slipping down the rabbit hole of politics? Dan, to some extent this discussion is political. In the broader sense, that is; namely, what are the forces that impinge on us when we wear dresses in public while presenting ourselves as males? Twenty years ago I would have agreed with many of you that it was the anithesis of a good idea. Today, as I go about my daily business as a male in a dress, with heels and hose no less, I am fully accepted for who and what I am, a heterosexual male in a dress. (I refer any of you with any doubts about any of those elements of my self-description to Oldsalt1's thread on "the most manly thing you have done in a skirt.") As Moonshadow pointed out, we have the gay liberation pride movement to thank for that. That movement marks its beginning with the Stonewall Riots that were initated by the drag queens who decided they were mad as hell at the way the police treated them and weren't going to take it any more.

It's now referred to as the Pride Movement because it keeps including more and more types of people, including us hetero men in skirts. Brace yourselves gentlemen, as I've said before we fall under the "Q" category. And no Carl, it's not the meaning of "Queer" that was in use by the time you came of age. "Queer" has been reclaimed by the Millennials who have restored it to something like it's original meaning of 'strikingly or strangely unusual' without any judgement being applied to that description. In the context of the current alphabet soup of LGBTQA*, the Q is best thought of as the "Miscellaneous" or "Not Easy to Classify" group. (A is for Ally.)

Some of you may be more comfortable thinking about yourself as covered by the "+" that some add to this collective. The plus sign encompasses those folks who acknowledge they don't fit the norms of the gender binary, but don't feel they fit into any of the other categories either. Does that work better for those of you who don't like labels?

Ralph, let me start by thanking you for blazing the trail so long ago. Let me also assure you that I'm not treated as a freak or a joke. Just this evening I went to my Miata club's monthly dinner meeting in a red mini skirt, black shirt and red high-heeled pumps. Before I left, my next door neighbor stopped by to talk about the logistics of her lending her garage to me. About the middle of the conversation she said, "You look so cute!!" when she noticed my skirt and shoes.

Consequently, I arrived late, so I had to find an open seat at one of the tables. When I asked if I could join a table full of folks I didn't recognize, they were more than happy to have me join them. And we had a great time together.

At a lull in the meeting, I got into a conversation with a female friend of mine at another table. She opened the conversation with how great she thought the color of my skirt was. I explained that I dressed to match my car, black top and red below. After the meeting, a gentlemen I didn't know made a point of telling me, with a warm smile, that I have "nice legs!"

What I'm trying to say is, a lot has changed in the last 10 years and that attitude is everything. I'm comfortable with me and my clothing choices and so is everyone else. I know that I'm working off of very limited information here and that it's always hard to put our past behind ourselves; but, I wonder if some of the reactions you receive these days are triggered by your own feelings and that if you could stifle your apprehensions, that things might go better for you.

So to specifically address Weeladdie's original question, I wear dresses in public several times a week and I'm treated great! If anyone takes me for gay or trans, they haven't told me about it or treated me poorly for it. Only twice in 3 1/2 years has anyone called me "ma'am" instead of "sir." (Just last night another store clerk made that mistake, this time at Walmart. Kind of figures, doesn't it?)

As to the true nature of the US, I feel it's best to keep in mind that another name for our system of government is "The American Experiment" and that no less of an intellect and wise man as Abraham Lincoln in the depths of our Civil War that was being fought over the question of slavery felt that the US was "the last, best hope for mankind." In short, our country is and always has been a work in progress and that our ideals have always been aspirational -- the man who wrote "all men are created equal" into our Declaration of Independence was a slaveowner -- and probably always will be. But both legally and socially we keep getting closer to living up to the promises our Founding Fathers made.

*I just learned it's now "LGBTQ2SIA+." Translation: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgendered, Queer, Two Spirit, Intersexed, Ally. "+" means 'Everyone else who doesn't identify with the gender binary but don't feel they belong in another category.' Try saying that even once quickly. I wouldn't even try saying the initials quickly.
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Dave a wonderful insightful post. Thank You!

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Sorry Moon , I agree that You have a right to say what you want , My point is that it doesn't belong on a freestyle fashion blog about wearing dresses. If I wanted political commentary I would go on a sight dedicated to that area. And if you go back a while my last comments were on your posts about your meeting with the politicians, and If I remember I was very complimentary.
Alright, I admit my post had nothing to do with the original topic, and was out of bounds for the forum in general.

In my defense, I was simply sharing my thoughts on comments made by others on this thread. This isn't the first time I've taken things too far, and I've been telling myself for years to keep my mouth (or keystrokes) shut. But it's not easy trying to learn silence when the rest of the world won't shut up. But I'll endeavor to try.

So.... that's really all I have to say right now.

Hopefully this post won't upset anyone, I didn't intend for it to.

Later....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

In defence, Moon, the content of threads drift, sometimes well away from the origin. That's natural as meat space conversations drift also. If someone doesn't want to continue with the drift then don't contribute, open another thread or do the written equivalent of the "ahem". Just say, "And now to get back to our original post ....". No need to get shirty about it. Yes, that's an "r" and not a "t"!
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

If you don’t like something that’s said simply unfollow the thread. No need in personally attacking someone. I don’t care who it is. In my time on these forums I’ve seen many thread drifts are we all that immature that we have to nit pick things apart than understand some of the post maybe insight to what one post? For example the original post was about wearing a dress to a workplace and the owner being in a photo. Then it went onto LGBT right movements than politics. Sometimes I hate coming on here because well most times not always Moons attacked and he’s not the only one who causes thread drifts. My advice if you see a thread drifting clearly help get it back on topic or stay clear because it usually becomes the battle of the forums. Just my two cent worth.
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

With the risk of getting more mud slung at me , please allow me to further clarify the fine post by Dave the PDX.....
As far as I can remember from the Reference to the Stone Wall Riots and the Pride Movement.....the properties which were
raided by the Police were actually owned by the Maffia ......I am quite sure that my friends who passed comment on this
thread would have been aware of this political issue but chose not to include its implication in the volatile concicquences of
such an eventuality........To me this issue is not entirely clear.....why were the Pride Movement blamed
for "Rioting with the Police ? "......Perhaps The Pride Movement is a human rights movement rather than a
purely political movement......
One of the points I previously made was that British Civil Service Employees might have been
subversive if they were seen as "Men in Skirts " outside of their working environment..............

" A Man in a Dress "..... may say as a response to a challenge ...
" I am only wearing a dress for a laugh , and the garment is very comfortable .Why do you not try wearing one ? " ....

There was then a chance that his enquirer might respond with the question; ...."Are you quite sure you are not subversive ? "

Who can tell me if things have changed in Great Britain in the past 20 years ?
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

JennC03 wrote:If you don’t like something that’s said simply unfollow the thread. No need in personally attacking someone. I don’t care who it is. In my time on these forums I’ve seen many thread drifts are we all that immature that we have to nit pick things apart than understand some of the post maybe insight to what one post? For example the original post was about wearing a dress to a workplace and the owner being in a photo. Then it went onto LGBT right movements than politics. Sometimes I hate coming on here because well most times not always Moons attacked and he’s not the only one who causes thread drifts. My advice if you see a thread drifting clearly help get it back on topic or stay clear because it usually becomes the battle of the forums. Just my two cent worth.
Thank you for your comment Jenn .... I am not quite sure who led this thread off the straight and narrow.....
I would strongly advise you to keep your head down as it is unlikely that this thread has hit its final climax....

Greetings from Cornwall , S.W. U.K. ...only 3000 miles to America.....All the best for you and Moon in 2019.......weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

" And now to get back to our original post " ; I was wearing my leggings with a boot length skirt today...My thoughts were ...

that if I wore a full dress over my legging and boots , would I be dressed
in the style of the farmer or the mariner in his long smock and early trousers rather than in a modern practical and warm
female fashion ?................I say again " What goes around , comes around ."
Elisabetta
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Elisabetta »

weeladdie18 wrote:
JennC03 wrote:If you don’t like something that’s said simply unfollow the thread. No need in personally attacking someone. I don’t care who it is. In my time on these forums I’ve seen many thread drifts are we all that immature that we have to nit pick things apart than understand some of the post maybe insight to what one post? For example the original post was about wearing a dress to a workplace and the owner being in a photo. Then it went onto LGBT right movements than politics. Sometimes I hate coming on here because well most times not always Moons attacked and he’s not the only one who causes thread drifts. My advice if you see a thread drifting clearly help get it back on topic or stay clear because it usually becomes the battle of the forums. Just my two cent worth.
Thank you for your comment Jenn .... I am not quite sure who led this thread off the straight and narrow.....
I would strongly advise you to keep your head down as it is unlikely that this thread has hit its final climax....

Greetings from Cornwall , S.W. U.K. ...only 3000 miles to America.....All the best for you and Moon in 2019.......weeladdie

Thank you. Good luck to you too in 2019
"When life gets blurry adjust your focus."
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

. It does seem rather silly to pledge to a piece of fabric.

Let me get this straight . Its ok for moon to come on the café and refer to the flag of my country as just a piece of fabric. and I should sit back and say that's just thread drift . No --------- way
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Well, Dan, I can't think of another country that gets quite as worked up about its flag as you do. Unless maybe North Korea? :hide:
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just what I need another insult . I am hoping that your comparison to North Korea was an attempt to lighten up the subject. But that is one area where I don't joke. Its not the flag but what it represents.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just what I need another insult are you really that stupid. Its not the flag its what the flag represents
I believe the comment was one of genuine curiosity and not one of disrespect or insult. The US has a rather queer [1] fixation on its Flag that other nations do not. Furthermore, what "The [US] Flag" represents has changed quite dramatically -- and more than a few times -- over the years. Sure, any nation's flag represents it on the ground, on the sea, and in the air; only the United States makes the object transcendental.

Meaning no insult, if I was able to wake my grandfather from his eternal sleep and present the United States of today to him as the place he once fought for, I am quite certain he would not recognise it save for some of the architectural trappings and the Flag thereof. Change happens, and it often happens quite quickly when we're not paying attention, This is not the land of John Quincy Adams and Andrew Jackson any longer. It's not even the land of Dwight David Eisenhower. Today it's a place where Richard Nixon looks like a breath of fresh air.

If the ground shifts under one, can one consider the ground "his" any longer? Is it really "my" country if I have no voice in how the nation conducts is affairs?

The Flag, to me, represents a great republic -- and the United States is not a republic any longer. Scholars and even ex-presidents recognise that. As a patriot, I want to restore the republic. Is that somehow anti-American?

[1] In its original and proper meaning.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!