EVERY YEAR is the year of skirts for men

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

EVERY YEAR is the year of skirts for men

Post by Wonderful Electric »

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/skirts-for-men

The black and white one in the first image looks practical and wearable.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: EVERY YEAR is the year of skirts for men

Post by Grok »

The catwalk will not repeal the taboo against MIS.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Oh why Oh why can't the catwalks be like the Victoria's Secret runways with everyone smiling - winking an eye - and showing a flash of flesh.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps what goes around , comes around again...In our lifetimes , have we seen it all before , so there appears to be
no inspiration or imagination in what to some , is new ground....for a " new season "...?

In my inspiration for a new outfit for today, I may search through my older skirt styles ,or may end up with a new seasons skirt
which I have never seen out on the street.... Most of my skirts are...... " tried and tested attire ".....

I will admit that I succeed in being different in my skirt outfits.....perhaps with a bit of flair........

I am reluctant to blindly grab a skirt off the rail and walk out onto the street....Recently my jacket is always the same ,.....
but my skirt is different every day..................weeladdie
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Oh yeah yeah, haven't we heard all this before.
I doubt it will be started by catwalk fashion, perhaps by a lot of young people with cosplay or Prince Harry wearing a skirt would cause it to take off.
The two short black skirts are fairly harmless to the cause. I think I would obscure my face too if I wore that weird trench coat.

Who really cares whether men in skirts become commonplace?
This is not a rhetorical question. Some people who would care are:
1. Those who would love to wear a skirt but are reluctant because it is so unconventional.
2. Those who wear skirts but their OH is not happy because it is so unconventional.
3. Those who wear skirts most places but unable to do so at work or some other venue.

What would happen if it became commonplace?
1. This forum wouldn't exist in it's present form.
2. We might get involved in pants forums. https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ ... thighships
3. Moonshadow would be considered conventional.
4. SkirtsDad would find something more extreme to wear.
5. Dennis would be going out in a skirt with his beloved and happy OH.

Obviously there are pros & cons.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

The black and white outfit is nice , But why is it that whenever the put up a MIS they have to add all sorts of multicolored accessories that change what might be a nice outfit into a clown's suit. They don't do this with ladies fashions.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

denimini wrote:3. Moonshadow would be considered conventional.
A bit of warning that that mortar-round was incoming would have been useful. I'm just now getting the last of my morning coffee out of my nose.
4. SkirtsDad would find something more extreme to wear.
Perish the thought, but I'm positive he'd have an absolute ball with it!
5. Dennis would be going out in a skirt with his beloved and happy OH.
And wouldn't that be wonderful?
Obviously there are pros & cons.
As there are with many, many things in life.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thank you Anthony & Carl. Yes, it would be wonderful if MOH was completely OK with my skirts and accompanied me out whilst I was wearing one. The trouble is that Douglas Adam's statements: "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.” would come to mind. I can but wish.

As for Moon, well he would find something else. Maybe his robes similar to Ron. Moon will never be conventional, bless his little cotton socks.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

We have to remember these fashion shows are a lot like concept cars at a auto show.
Often times the design is out right ridiculous!
I'm not sure what planet some of these designers live on. Most of this stuff is just made for the runway. Shock and awe. Doubtful any of these will make it to the average Joe on the street.

Generally men and women think differently when it comes to clothing. Women think about how a outfit will look, or how they will look in it. My wife buys tops frequently because they were cute.
Men generally are less likely to care about looks. Mostly practicality, comfort, and if it's durable.

This can easily be seen at most department stores. The women's clothing department is generally twice as big or bigger than the men's department. Stores also change clothing stock more frequently in woman's department than the men's. Gotta keep the ladies coming back to spend more money on new outfits.

At the second hand shops men's jeans are almost unheard of. Because most men wear them until they are not worth donating. While there are a multitude of ladies jeans.

Back to the fashion show industry and the bizarre designs on both sides of the asile
I posted a picture from a woman's fashion show from 2016. I have yet to see a woman in anything similar to what is pictured. Doubtful we will ever see women or men in anything that comes out of fashion week.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I don't think I could smile under those bows either... The blue and white number isn't that bad but the other one is so bad it hurts my eyes.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Fred in Skirts wrote:The blue and white number isn't that bad but the other one is so bad it hurts my eyes.
Actually, I find both of them to be entirely bad aesthetically. But, as has been said a post or two above, it helps to view such constructs as "concepts" rather than "reality". The same goes for the sorts of costumes allegedly aimed at guys.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

With that kind of head gear, you have to check the weather forecast before leaving the house. Beaufort 2 will be the maximum to be able to have some traction on the ground. With more wind, you have to take a bus because this will not fit into a regular sedan.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

I shared this because I find it funny that designers keep trying skirts for men year after year. It’ll never get men to wear with looks like this but they keep trying it. Celebrities have experimented too, and nothing has changed. Perhaps we, the peasant folk are the only ones who can make a difference.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

These clown outfits are mildly entertaining. :)
Stu
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Stu »

The trouble is that many mainstream menswear retailers have dipped their towards into the men's skirts idea, but their designs have been either impractical, such as flimsy wrapper styles, or hideously expensive. Consequently, they haven't sold in sufficient numbers.

This is one of the reasons I have always advocated for the simplest denim style as an alternative to denim shorts would be the most saleable.