I Finally Did It... My 1st Time Out in a Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: I Finally Did It... My 1st Time Out in a Skirt

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps Crfriend is edging towards Medical Councilling ..Geno.Uinary Medicine at the G.U.M. Clinic.
No. For one, there was no hint in any of the writings that the individual is "confused". The issue is his seeming need to hide from his wife because of her opposition tpo what he decides to clothe himself in.
Or perhaps just Marriage Guidance Councilling........There is still this secret fear regarding going out as a " Man in a Skirt " ...and the fear of what will the neighbours.., or our Partner will think.
Again, "No" -- perhaps even more strongly than the first "No." In "counselling", from what I've seen -- and certainly experienced -- the guy gets the short end of the stick most every time as the counsellors are biased toward the woman's (victim's) point of view; this makes equality an uphill battle at best and an outright impossibility at worst. It's easier and cheaper if you want to stay in the relationship to just capitulate absolutely and Obey.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, Carl, it is "easier and cheaper" but at the expense of one's own emotional and psychological well-being. I feel empathy for jamesy as his situation is marginally worse than mine. At least MOH doesn't completely forbid me being around her skirted as long as it isn't too often. I feel no bitterness towards MOH even when she goes into one of her rants about my skirts. She knows that when she isn't around that I will probably be skirted [0]. She would be happy for me to give them up completely but that ain't going to happen. Yet! :(

[0] Not always, sometimes I wear one of my dresses for a change.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Sinned wrote:Yes, Carl, it is "easier and cheaper" but at the expense of one's own emotional and psychological well-being.
Recall that men are expected to sacrifice themselves -- sometimes literally -- for their families [0]. Capitulation and Obeying/subservience are one facet of that cultural norm.

[0] This violates the "Don't become part of the problem." rule. If one is dead or incapacitated he's unable to do anything to correct or avoid problems.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Carl...I cannot disagree with your post of 9 .57 A.M..................................................
This is perhaps not the way in which some " Men in Skirts " .................................................
may wish to see their equal rights in the modern world.......................................................
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps Crfriend is edging towards Medical Councilling ..Geno.Uinary Medicine at the G.U.M. Clinic.
No. For one, there was no hint in any of the writings that the individual is "confused". The issue is his seeming need to hide from his wife because of her opposition tpo what he decides to clothe himself in.
Or perhaps just Marriage Guidance Councilling........There is still this secret fear regarding going out as a " Man in a Skirt " ...and the fear of what will the neighbours.., or our Partner will think.
Again, "No" -- perhaps even more strongly than the first "No." In "counselling", from what I've seen -- and certainly experienced -- the guy gets the short end of the stick most every time as the counsellors are biased toward the woman's (victim's) point of view; this makes equality an uphill battle at best and an outright impossibility at worst. It's easier and cheaper if you want to stay in the relationship to just capitulate absolutely and Obey.
I cannot disagree with you Carl,.....
Perhaps the writing is on the wall for some " Men in skirts " who are declaring their equal rights with the female of the species. ......
SEPADave

Post by SEPADave »

So I have ventured out a few more times since the making of this post. All in all, never an issue. However, I don't feel the same level of confidence. Perhaps it's the looks, the double takes from some or maybe it's all just in my head. I hope these feelings pass and pass soon as I really enjoy being outside the confines of my home while skirted.

I appreciate all the positive feedback posted here and promise to keep pushing forward with my outings while skirted. After all, if we don't get out there and allow others to see us, how will society ever change it's view on "Men in Skirts"?
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

Don't lose hope or confidence. Most of the feeling is in your head. What isn't... well... don't care too much what people think.

This last weekend I wore a long straight skirt my wife gave me for Christmas out in Chinatown in Yokohama. Most people didn't notice. This kind of all black
long line fashion isn't rare in Tokyo or Yokohama and the skirt is hard to tell if it is a skirt or skirt pants. But some people, probably tourists freaked out when they
saw me. At one point an entire family at a table in the restaurant stopped eating and stared. Yup. Really stared.

But here is the thing. If we are ever going to break down this barrier, some of us have to put up with the strain of pioneering it. That is the cost of change.
So we have to endure the strain now and then.

That said. There is the reward. I get more compliments, interested questions and smiles from friendly people than I do stares or glares. I am also now working with
a local designer to see if we can start a new line of items for men. That may open up entirely new avenues.

So wear it proudly and don't give in to worry. You are a pioneer. And your being out there is trail blazing.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

SEPADave wrote:So I have ventured out a few more times since the making of this post. All in all, never an issue. However, I don't feel the same level of confidence. Perhaps it's the looks, the double takes from some or maybe it's all just in my head. I hope these feelings pass and pass soon as I really enjoy being outside the confines of my home while skirted.

I appreciate all the positive feedback posted here and promise to keep pushing forward with my outings while skirted. After all, if we don't get out there and allow others to see us, how will society ever change it's view on "Men in Skirts"?
Just keep doing it and confidence will build up. Double takes are normal and understandable; If I saw another man in a skirt I think my jaw would drop to the hem of my skirt (which isn't that far).
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

SEPADave wrote:So I have ventured out a few more times since the making of this post. All in all, never an issue. However, I don't feel the same level of confidence. Perhaps it's the looks, the double takes from some or maybe it's all just in my head. I hope these feelings pass and pass soon as I really enjoy being outside the confines of my home while skirted.
Dave, in another section of the cafe I wrote
When I gave up pants to the wearing of skirts and dresses I found I was far more comfortable in both mind and body. I don't worry about being or looking masculine, in fact I stopped worrying at all about what I was wearing. I just enjoy the freedom I have given myself!!!
I don't worry about people looking at me as though I am a purple elephant, that is their problem not mine. I have been skirted now for a few years and can never go back to wearing pants. Remember it is YOU who set the rules for yourself and how you dress and not anyone else. ( Just to be open, you of course have to please "She who must be obeyed" if you are married. If you have a significant other and are not married come clean to her before you decide to get hitched it may make a big difference wither you get married to her. I would not marry any woman who would not accept my skirts and dresses unconditionally before I married.)

Just keep on skirting!! :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

SEPADave wrote:So I have ventured out a few more times since the making of this post. All in all, never an issue. However, I don't feel the same level of confidence. Perhaps it's the looks, the double takes from some or maybe it's all just in my head. I hope these feelings pass and pass soon as I really enjoy being outside the confines of my home while skirted...
First, congratulations and keep going!

As to the occasional double-takes and frowns, concede that you are doing something unusual and that means some people around you are going to be surprised and show it. But so what? People do unusual things all the time, often deliberately and just for the fun of it. Why shouldn't you have the same freedom?

Just look relaxed and comfortable and people will give you your space. Expand your knowledge of the human condition and they of theirs. Life is too short to let it be boring.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

SEPADave wrote:So I have ventured out a few more times since the making of this post. All in all, never an issue. However, I don't feel the same level of confidence.
I can really relate to your lack of confidence. I’ve only been going out for a few months now maybe ten times or so. But each time it seems like it is a little easier. And each outing, it’s the first five minutes that gives me the highest anxiety. After that it becomes a bit of good fun. I think you have to be determined to push through the anxiety and pretend to have confidence. Then sure enough after some minutes have passed, and I’ve encountered some people, I’m no longer just “pretending” to be confident! My advice; keep forcing yourself outthere. It really is worth it.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

mskirt wrote:I can really relate to your lack of confidence. I’ve only been going out for a few months now maybe ten times or so. But each time it seems like it is a little easier. And each outing, it’s the first five minutes that gives me the highest anxiety. After that it becomes a bit of good fun. I think you have to be determined to push through the anxiety and pretend to have confidence. Then sure enough after some minutes have passed, and I’ve encountered some people, I’m no longer just “pretending” to be confident! My advice; keep forcing yourself outthere. It really is worth it.
Excellent advice!
Last edited by Caultron on Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

SEPADave, I'm glad to hear that you are still going out in your skirts. I can relate to you still feeling nervous about it: it took me a long time to get completely comfortable with people's reactions. My advice is to stick at it and it will carry on getting easier. I expect I turn just as many heads as ever (except in my home town where they are used to me) but I gave up noticing reactions a long time ago.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

“Yo...Adrian!” Yay for Center City Philly! It should be a great environment for skirts. My son will be working in Center City in a few months.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...