Boys Protest In School Skirts

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boys Protest In School Skirts

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps the problem is with long undrafted posts.
If I am not mistaken, the timeout window that's in force to log folks out who are idle is 60 minutes, so unless one composes really, really slowly shouldn't be a problem. If it is a problem, occasionally hitting the "preview" button will reset the counter and give one an impression of what his finished post will look like -- which is a good idea for a few reasons.
It is a big problem for me because I think while I compose and sometimes go away to research something mid-composition before holding forth on it as if I knew what I was going on about. Those who are so brilliant they can compose quickly from already fully formed ideas would find 60 minutes more than adequate. Those who cannot, like me, find it damnably short and arbitrary.

I also have trouble with inputs that timeout while I'm glancing away to see the next group of numbers I need to enter. I once saw a lady who couldn't use an ATM because it timed out on her every try. She had a condition that made her hands very shakey so it took a long time between keypresses. The message "do you need more time" comes up, and if you aren't quick enough to respond to that it assumes your answer is "no" and logs out. Stupid, since if it has figured out that you might need more time it should know enough to be extra patient when it asks that question, for people who actually need extra time.

Programmers program based on their arbitrary conceptions of what "reasonable" is and even when they anticipate things well they still do the wrong things about them. It's like those credit-card number input fields that require that one not type the spaces. The effort that goes into doing the space-detection error-handling is greater than the effort to just strip out all spaces before processing. Proof that people can be smart but still quite gormless. $a~=/ //.

But I digress. I lose track of time when posting quite late at night. The preview button has become my friend but still safer than that is Ctrl-A Ctrl-C. It's hard to know in advance when a post will be long enough to justify it, but composing offline in Notepad is something I do sometimes too.

The longer the timeout period the more you stand to lose when it finally times out. Gmail solves that problem with frequent auto-saves. For SC making the timeout shorter not longer might be better for users. Like 2 minutes. If you can't type it in 2 minutes then it's probably too long anyway, and in any case you'll only lose a max of 2 minute's work not an hour's work.
Daryl...
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Daryl wrote:$a~=/ //.
That's great for numbers, but really horrible for text. I've seen posts so formatted, save that sometimes punctuation and capital letters get dropped as well. The result is painful.
For SC making the timeout shorter not longer might be better for users. Like 2 minutes. If you can't type it in 2 minutes then it's probably too long anyway, and in any case you'll only lose a max of 2 minute's work not an hour's work.
I'll give that some thought, but sometimes even I can take a long time composing a message -- especially if I get distracted in the middle of it. In the instances where I have hit the limit, I find that using the browser's back button will bring the page of text back into the window where it can be salvaged with a select/copy operation. I haven't tried it, but on certain browsers it might even be possible to go forward with a re-login, then use the back button several times to regain the composition window and continue composing or hit the Submit button and then edit. I do not believe I've ever lost a composition. (I've thrown a few away, but that's a different story.)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

crfriend wrote:
Daryl wrote:$a~=/ //.
That's great for numbers, but really horrible for text. I've seen posts so formatted, save that sometimes punctuation and capital letters get dropped as well. The result is painful.
For SC making the timeout shorter not longer might be better for users. Like 2 minutes. If you can't type it in 2 minutes then it's probably too long anyway, and in any case you'll only lose a max of 2 minute's work not an hour's work.
I'll give that some thought, but sometimes even I can take a long time composing a message -- especially if I get distracted in the middle of it. In the instances where I have hit the limit, I find that using the browser's back button will bring the page of text back into the window where it can be salvaged with a select/copy operation. I haven't tried it, but on certain browsers it might even be possible to go forward with a re-login, then use the back button several times to regain the composition window and continue composing or hit the Submit button and then edit. I do not believe I've ever lost a composition. (I've thrown a few away, but that's a different story.)
I was being facetious. Shorter wouldn't be better. Infinitely long would be.

Retirement is playing havoc with my ability to consider regular expressions important enough to even remember how to use them...
Daryl...
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Daryl....I recently had another birthday to add to my retirement......Now , I cannot make up my mind why I am undeceided.......... weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:Simply put, the purpose of a uniform is to have everyone dress uniformly so if everyone is to dress uniformly they should all wear the same uniform :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
Ah, but we need coded methods to tell the boys from the girls, and we expect that division to be absolute -- hence most of the hangups most westerners have about guys wearing skirted garments.

Yes, it's screwed up. I'm trying to help fix it, but it's a very big fight.
Perhaps it may become correct for both boys and girls to wear identical skirts to school as part of their school uniform...
However there may be problems with the colour of the child's underwear benieth their skirt or the traditional different
length of the male or female child's hair......weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Why should there be problems with the underwear beneath a skirt? Underwear is what it is. The material for boy's is perhaps thicker and there may be fewer colour choices but girls wear knickers of just about any colour and patterned too. The only problem I see with boys wearing skirts is the "bullies" or loudmouths larking around lifting the skirts, thinking that there is some humour in that. There isn't, of course, and they wouldn't dare do it to the girls but there are always boys of little brain who may need to be pulled up on disciplinary charges after each occurrence. Hair length is no longer an issue and has never been since the mid-sixties. I wore my hair long at Grammar School and the Headmaster tried to get me and many others to cut our hair without success. Long or short, it doesn't matter. The only time it seems to cause problems is if a pattern is cut into the hair or all the hair is shaved off. A friend of one of my children developed alopecia universalis so had no body hair.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Sinned,
I'd agree, it has been a heck of a long time since a school administration would interest themselves in the pupils' underwear regardless of gender.
The hair argument can actually be a bit more varied but I reckon that discord is no worse than it was in the sixties and seventies.
I will disagree on one point re. bullies and bullying. A skirted boy would just as likely be a target from females as other males, perhaps more so?
If there is ever to be developments for men in skirts, it is not likely to arise from school uniform policies.
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If you young gentlemen were old enough to have been born in " The Bulge "...the immediate Post War Britain.................
You would know that the charming young ladies wore vile regulation school underwear with their equally vile school uniforms.

One particular type of female underwear was known as " The Passion Killer " ...and was worn to discourage the advances of
the more mature young male......

In Scotland ,any youth who was sufficiently well bred to have worn
his Family Clan Tartan Kilt to school, as part of his school uniform would know that there was always
the fear that a lone schoolboy in his Kilt might be accosted in the street
by a group of curious young lassies in their vile school uniforms.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps it is this female curiousity which always brings a smile to the face of a lassie when she sees a man
in a Traditional Scottish Tartan Kilt......Who can tell ?....................
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I was born mid-fifties, just after rationing finished I guess and the girls did tend to wear the similar "uniform" of gingham dress. As for passion killers, never met any underwear that came into that category no matter how big they are - just some are more of a challenge than others. Hmm, better drop this train of thought, coming close to an unmentionable topic on unmentionables! :lol:

Steve, I wasn't actually thinking of girls targeting skirted boys, more boys not daring to target skirted girls. I guess that I haven't got it in my head that girls can be as bad as boys nowadays.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Wee Laddie,
Your inane assertions that there is some inherent elitist connection to The Kilt are becoming tiresome. I for one, find them offensive and completely irrelevant in the context of men in skirts in 2019.
I would also severely doubt that there has been a Scottish school, public or private, in the last 40 or 50 years which has specified The Kilt as boys’ uniform.
The underwear that you are alluding to has also not been prevalent since the early 1970s.
Steve.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I have a kilt, a proper kilt and find it just too heavy for normal wear. A skirt-like garment has to be comfortable and a kilt just isn't. And the pleats get in the way when sitting. i can't slide around in the chair as I can in a skirt.
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

Sinned wrote:I have a kilt, a proper kilt and find it just too heavy for normal wear. A skirt-like garment has to be comfortable and a kilt just isn't. And the pleats get in the way when sitting. i can't slide around in the chair as I can in a skirt.
I have a proper kilt and a value kilt and like wearing them both. But I agree that the pleats are a pain in the backside (literally when driving to the venue) and the wide waistband can get very warm! But they do look good, especially when performing the Dashing White Sergeant or Strip the Willow. So far I’ve managed to avoid suits at two family weddings by wearing the kilt. Hopefully it will also be acceptable when my niece gets married this September.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If the lassies know that one wears the Kilt, They sometimes become despondant if one does not wear the Kilt when they are present at a function.

This does lead me to another area of enquiry.....Is the Kilt still popular for Private Functions as the garment would seem to be
less popular for wear out on the street ?

The School Boy in his Kilt would generally seem to be loosing his popularity as a fashion trend....It is however difficult to monitor Kilt Popularity
in a different region to ones Domicile Region...................weeladdie
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I think there are still one or two schools where boys wear kilts, but judging by their rarity I suspect it is only “occasion wear”, whereas it is still fairly common to see girls in uniform with kilts, at least in Edinburgh.