Man in a dress on 'First Dates' television show

Clippings from news sources involving fashion freedom and other gender equality issues.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Man in a dress on 'First Dates' television show

Post by moonshadow »

As for tops,

I'll grant some men's bodies may not be built for womens tops. I myself am not very broad at the shoulder and I find that womens tops fit me fine.

I really wish I could wear them in more formal settings, as it is when dressing up for something formal I have to wear my one shirt for men... The problem is the shirt is very constraining and stuffy. I feel like I can't move in it.

My ladies tops are more stretchy and forgiving, and generally much more comfortable. Some stretchy ladies tops can look very formal, whereas the only thing stretchy in the men's department are tee shirts. Which is not something you'd wear to a wedding or job interview.

Then there is the matter of just looking nice with skirts. When I wear men's tops with skirts, I just doesn't look right to me. One of my first shots (photographs) looked like I was wearing a potato sack. The ladies tops seem to accentuate the curves of my upper half better and bring the whole look out.

Yes guys have curves too... and there is no reason to hide them or be ashamed of them.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have some tops that fit like a glove and are very comfortable because they are stretchy.
I don't worry about them showing off my boobs ( I hate calling them man boobs or moobs.). They are what they are and they are part of me and so what is the big deal. I just have never understood the problem in this regard. Why try to hide them??? :thumright:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All, but especially Dust,
Not a dress but that is me C1978. If you look closely, the waistcoat and trousers are one piece. Back then we would have called it a jumpsuit or catsuit and it was a one of a kind at the time, expensive too. It hung from the shoulders like a dress and was certainly the most comfortable bifurcated garment I have ever owned.
Steve
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

If, on a woman it's a catsuit, then on a man should it be a dogsuit? It looks fine btw and most wouldn't notice it's a one piece garment. I wouldn't have if you hadn't brought my attention to it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

STEVIE wrote:Not a dress but that is me C1978.
Two observations, Steve: (1) That's astonishingly cool, and if you hadn't pointed out that it was a jumpsuit I very likely would not have noticed, and (2) What an attractive couple. I hope it was at least marginally successful.

Also of note are the platform shoes. And the flowers on both parties.

I have a few photographs of me in the 1970s, but all of them are sufficiently hideous that it'd take one Hell of a bribe for me to scan any of 'em (and the only ones from the time were shot at the two proms I took my then-girlfriend to). She's cute in both, but I look like an absolute git.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi All
The lady in question is my now wife. That occasion was my now sister in law's wedding, We married in 1981 and I wore a plain grey 3 piece.
The fashion for The Kilt at Scots weddings only became more popular in the mid to late 1980s and now it is considered almost obligatory.
The suit I am wearing was bespoke for me for the occasion of my own sister's wedding. I had the honour of giving her away and that was in 1977.
That cost just shy of £200 then and took 4 fitting sessions with the tailor. When the flairs went completely out of fashion I approached him with a view to having it adapted. The cost would have been significantly higher than the original as a complete re-build from the shoulder down would have been necessary. Fortunately, the jacket went on for a good number of years later. All in all I considered it money well spent as it was still a way of me cocking my proverbial snoot at convention.
In those days I would have been considered more akin to Paul in my preferred attire but that really would have been going too far by any standard.
Steve.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

STEVIE wrote:Hi All, but especially Dust,
Not a dress but that is me C1978. If you look closely, the waistcoat and trousers are one piece. Back then we would have called it a jumpsuit or catsuit and it was a one of a kind at the time, expensive too. It hung from the shoulders like a dress and was certainly the most comfortable bifurcated garment I have ever owned.
Steve
Thanks for the picture! That is awesome! I think something like this catching on would be a huge step in the right direction. Any idea where something like that could be found today? I've seen a picture or two of something similar before, but it was more of jacket and pants connected than pants and vest. I'll try to look for the image.

I have a friend who swears by suspenders, I image what you had there would be similar but with even more freedom at the waist.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Dust wrote: Dresses are not only unbifurcated, but they are also one piece top and bottom. This is something else that is foreign to most men.
If I recall correctly, somebody pointed out that-culturally-we don't have experience with men wearing dress like garments. This is something that is foreign to our back ground.

As for skirt like garments, there has been a precedent in the kilt. The kilt has been the only social acceptable alternative to twin-pipes. Indeed, nearly all of the alternatives we see marketed are skirt like garments.
Last edited by Grok on Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Dust,
Thanks for the compliments.
Check out your local tailors or seamstresses. I doubt that there would be any way of having a thing like that made from the internet.
The guy who made that one is unfortunately, long gone.
Your friend is correct about suspenders but we call them braces. I use them on some skirts to make them sit better and for the look too.
The real point is to find your own style by simply trying any variation that takes your fancy.
Most of all, enjoy the journey.
Steve.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

I just finished watching this program, using the Telly extension in chrome. Makes me happy that the two agreed to see each other again. I can't say for sure if the dress was a factor or not, and that makes me happy too. There's apparently 5 days left for this to be online or something. Chrome. Telly extension.
new2skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by new2skirts »

Wonderful Electric wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:26 pm I just finished watching this program, using the Telly extension in chrome. Makes me happy that the two agreed to see each other again. I can't say for sure if the dress was a factor or not, and that makes me happy too. There's apparently 5 days left for this to be online or something. Chrome. Telly extension.
Quite a bit more than 5 days left :mrgreen: Just watched this again this morning
FirstDates.jpg
There's a lovely chemistry between them, perhaps she's after his money as he's a pilot, lol
at one point she notices he''d gone and changed his tights after popping to the toilet to freshen up 8) He was a proper bloke, no mannerisms, he sat well as one would do in a skirt or dress. It'd be good if they did a re-cap on the couples a few months down the line, this was almost a year ago :roll:
Formerly Kilty / Joe Public etc...
greenboots
Member Extraordinaire

Post by greenboots »

I saw one episode of this programme and was impressed. They seemed genuinely to try to match people without forcing them to come together. The setting was a luxury tropical hotel and the guests' arrivals were staggared.

Two couples were featured : one in their 70s and one in their twenties. The older couple had both endured hardship in the war and lost a partner. They were brought to the bar where the barman eased them into conversation before a dinner in which they shared their stories. A genuine warmth grew very quickly between them, and afterwards they agreed they would meet again to explore the relationship.

The young couple were presumably matched through their love of music, and there was an impromptu performance at the piano. Although they got on well enough as companions, it very quickly became obvious that they were not romantically suited. They would stay in touch as friends but no more. However, the day before the young man had met a girl whose dare did not work out. In conversation they discovered a lot in common, including the early death of a parent. The girl was allowed an extra night at the hotel and subsequent to three show they began seeing each other and were married later in the year.

I tell this story because it suggests strongly that they producers were genuinely trying to find someone who could love Paul for who he is, dresses and all. It shows that reality TV can be real and still work, and that it provides a window into how normal wearing skirts and dresses can be for a man.