Sightings "in the wild"

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sightings "in the wild"

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Sinned wrote:I can't say that I ever wash the car! My theory is that the layer of dust particulates provides a protective layer over the paint and washing initially grinds the particles across the paintwork leaving little score marks. These build over many washings and destroys the paint's integrity giving areas for corrosion to set in. There again, I could just be lazy!
Your first reaction is more correct!! Dust has sharp edges that act like sand paper and will damage the paint so never wash your car just hit it with the hose pipe and do not rub the dust away. It is also a lot easier to do this way and saves time too. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
Sinned wrote:I can't say that I ever wash the car! My theory is that the layer of dust particulates provides a protective layer over the paint and washing initially grinds the particles across the paintwork leaving little score marks. These build over many washings and destroys the paint's integrity giving areas for corrosion to set in. There again, I could just be lazy!
Your first reaction is more correct!! Dust has sharp edges that act like sand paper and will damage the paint so never wash your car just hit it with the hose pipe and do not rub the dust away. It is also a lot easier to do this way and saves time too. :lol:
That is my excuse also. I don't even use a hose. We have sufficient rain around here so that takes care of the dust and bird droppings. Sometimes I can afford it to be lazy. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I think you are correct that washing always causes marks, slight they may be. That is why hand washing is so good, you can bee very light, spraying the dust / dirt off first, then lightly washing with a sponge, or other soft cloth.

If course year the long skirt that day.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

I believe I have had my first sighting of another guy in a skirt since the mid 1980s save for pre-arranged "meets".

I was "running on empty" (and humming the Jackson Brown tune) this morning and fuelled up the chariot and as I was pulling away noticed that the guy at the pump behind me was wearing something down below that looked very much like a heavyweight skirt. All of this was seen in the rearview-mirrors as I was already headed out onto a medium-sized numbered road to go about my business for the day.

The thought occurred to me that he might be one of us? Was anyone else here at a petrol station at the intersection of I-290 and State 140 just a bit before noon?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

crfriend wrote:...... The thought occurred to me that he might be one of us? Was anyone else here at a petrol station at the intersection of I-290 and State 140 just a bit before noon?
I think you would stand out with your exterior so all members of this forum would recognize you from your pictures. It was not me because just before noon I was on the I-78 east, enjoying the quiet after Black Friday. ;)
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

It is perhaps worth noting that another sighting is unusual.....I try to wear a different skirt every day, so
it is difficult to tie me down as to what I might be seen wearing.......I work on the premise that I may never see another skirt wearing male.....I love wearing my skirts and this is no big issue.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Not long before I started to wear skirts (around 2013), I saw a guy with a leather hat, a long beard and a Utilikilt at Best Buy. I don't think that was instrumental in my skirt wearing but it was the only sighting until now, more than 5 years later. With an event that rare, I don't even bother to check out people for male skirtwearers.
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

Saw a fellow in the Morningside area of Brisbane (Australia) yesterday afternoon while driving past a servo, he was probably in his late 20s-early 30s, slightly longer than shoulder length hair and goatee beard, wearing what looked very like a navy utility kilt as he walked into the building.
As I was driving past, I wasn't able to get much more than a passing glance.
Was a warm day, 34°C or 93°F.

I have seen a couple of people wearing what looks like a utility kilt other than myself.

There was also a couple of lavalava wearing men that I saw down near one of the major shopping malls when we went for lunch. My wife saw those guys too and commented to me about that to me.

They're out there, and I'm sure there's more skirt wearers than those I've seen.
Plenty of women wearing skirts, many of them mini skirts.
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

crfriend wrote:I believe I have had my first sighting of another guy in a skirt since the mid 1980s save for pre-arranged "meets".

I was "running on empty" (and humming the Jackson Brown tune) this morning and fuelled up the chariot and as I was pulling away noticed that the guy at the pump behind me was wearing something down below that looked very much like a heavyweight skirt. All of this was seen in the rearview-mirrors as I was already headed out onto a medium-sized numbered road to go about my business for the day.

The thought occurred to me that he might be one of us? Was anyone else here at a petrol station at the intersection of I-290 and State 140 just a bit before noon?
I filled up at the Cumberland Farms on Rt 20 in that area a couple weeks ago.

Usually if I travel skirted I wear something that would pass as a kilt. On this occasion I wore just a long black skirt, it was quite comfortable; I can't say if it attracted much attention because I was not paying attention to who might be paying attention to me. None of the store clerks or others I interacted with seemed to notice.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Wesley wrote:...On this occasion I wore just a long black skirt, it was quite comfortable; I can't say if it attracted much attention because I was not paying attention to who might be paying attention to me. None of the store clerks or others I interacted with seemed to notice.
Just so.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I actually saw a Man in Kilt with his family when I was sitting in my car in a supermarket car park.
First time I have seen a genuine Kiltie for probably three years..... By the way he was dressed
l would guess he was going to a Family Function......We do have Genuine Scots down here with
the Military Draftings.
Gusto10
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gusto10 »

Friday last, while trying to find a place to get onto the "autoroute" in southern France due to all yellow vests, I noticed one "yellow vest" wearing a (black) kilt, white kilt socks and baret at the motorway entrance of Montelimar Sud. He was having a jolly good time.
It reminded me of a kilter -red (punckers) kilt - I noticed twice near Kijkduin a number of years ago.
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

This is a weird photo.
Look at his leg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jetblasted wrote:This is a weird photo.
Look at his leg.
It's a trick of the photograph. He's holding something white in his right hand that's confusing the eye.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

I don't know I zoom out to 500 and can see the lines on the floor.