Boys' Toys

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Boys' Toys

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thanks for correcting me Carl...I only looked at one of the still photos of the docking.....This might have been the early stages of
docking or landing photography.....Particularly useful in carrier deck landing proceedures...

I saw a set of a landing of an aircraft with a jammed throttle ; The aircraft bounced across the deck of the carrier ,...the pilot
ejected ,.....the aircraft ditched,.....The pilot went into the sea and was recovered by the S A R Helo flying alongside the ship.
which was steaming at flight ops speed.

There are some carrier stills on Getty Mashable Aircraft Carriers Flight Deck Operations.....1943...?....
Fleet Air Arm Recruitment Press Photos
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:Thanks for correcting me Carl...I only looked at one of the still photos of the docking.....This might have been the early stages of
docking or landing photography.
Mooring an airship is a complex business and makes ballet look simple. Way back when, it was envisioned that airship travel was to be the way of the future. One notable skyscraper in New York City is topped with a structure that was to be a mooring mast for airships. Of note is that this was in a time when the aerodynamics of tall structures wasn't completely understood...
I saw a set of a landing of an aircraft with a jammed throttle ; The aircraft bounced across the deck of the carrier ,...the pilot ejected ,
That wasn't a jammed throttle, one always powers up just before landing so one can get off the deck in case the tail-hook fails to catch. That was a failed landing where the pilot came in too high, landed too hard, and the suspension bounced the aircraft back into the air to the point where the tail-hook couldn't restrain it. It's oft said that landing on an aircraft carrier is essentially a controlled crash.
The pilot went into the sea and was recovered by the S A R Helo flying alongside the ship. which was steaming at flight ops speed.
I have the utmost respect for SAR pilots. They earn their pay and then some.

Also of note is that when aircraft operations are happening on a carrier the thing is always moving at high speed; it helps the aircraft that way, and at low velocities every little bit helps.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went yachting again on the indoor Radio controlled model yacht pond in the National Maritime Museum.
The Yachts are well balanced sloops with a fin keel and a skeg rudder....Right hand joystick adjusts direction to port or starboard.....
....that is bare left or right........The left hand joystick controls the set of the sails
and tightens or slackens the winch control on both sheets at the same time.

The wind generating machine varies the strength of the wind at various positions on the pond.....The idea is to sail one's chosen
yacht around the buoys on the pond.....Great fun and it does require much concentration to keep ones boat moving in the correct
direction.

When I was young, the gentlemen sailed wooden model yachts on Poole Park Model Boating Lake .. These yachts were controlled by a
wind vane self steering gear and had masts as tall as a boy.....I had a smaller early plastic Yacht with the rudder controlled by an
elastic band attached to the main sheet........A Try~ang Penguin.......This yacht had a scale model clinker dingy which was
carried inverted on the foredeck.....One day I decieded to tow the tender behind the yacht ....The tender escaped and my
poor demented parents had to wait while the tender drifted across the lake , so that it could be recovered........

Those were the days.........