1st time outside

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Ballyer

1st time outside

Post by Ballyer »

I crossed the line of fear this morning and went out to the ATM (about ½ mile away) in skirt and hoodie (photo of my ensemble below).

Despite the early hours (and it being Christmas Day!), there was a council worker out emptying bins who spotted me and acknowledged my presence with a "hello". I am assuming he noticed that I was in a skirt.

Anyway, first time over. It may take a while for me to go out skirted in daylight where I live as it is an area with rough edges and a (fading) history of trouble, but Dublin city centre is withing my sights in the near term.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: 1st time outside

Post by shadowfax »

Ballyer wrote:I crossed the line of fear this morning and went out to the ATM (about ½ mile away) in skirt and hoodie (photo of my ensemble below).

Despite the early hours (and it being Christmas Day!), there was a council worker out emptying bins who spotted me and acknowledged my presence with a "hello". I am assuming he noticed that I was in a skirt.

Anyway, first time over. It may take a while for me to go out skirted in daylight where I live as it is an area with rough edges and a (fading) history of trouble, but Dublin city centre is withing my sights in the near term.
Well done! :thewave:
You must have been cold at that time of the morning though. :wink:
Daylight excursions will seem easier now that you've taken your first step. :)
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Ballyer,
Well done, I'd wager that you were too keyed up to feel cold. The outfit looks good and believable too.
Let this be the first of many and they do get easier.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Steve.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

A wonderful first step of many more to come! You look confident and assured. Get ready for the second step and share more with us!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Ballyer wrote:I crossed the line of fear this morning and went out to the ATM (about ½ mile away) in skirt and hoodie...
Congratulations!

The first time is the hardest. After that it only gets easier.

Enjoy!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Correction: you have broken the line of fear! Well done!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Congratulations on taking that first step into a broader world. In time, you'll discover how much fun wearing skirts truly is!
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

How does your local Council persuade the binmen to work on Christmas Day? Triple time? Our bin days are all over the place most Christmases; we have to guess and then leave the bins cluttering up the pavement for days and days.

More importantly, have you been out skirted again yet? If not, do it soon. It will get easier each time.
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Hi Ballyer,

That outfit isn't attention-getting in the least, especially if it were combined with black tights/stockings.

Yesterday we took our resident 6-yr-old granddaughter up to the Nat. Concert Hall to see the Wonderful Wizard of Oz. The show ended t 8.30PM so we had an opportunity to drive round and see the lights before heading home to Co. Kildare.
There are so any buildings beautifully illuminated, ( Trinity Coll, Mansion Hse, Customs Hse, City Hall &c) plus the more traditional suspended street illuminations, trees &c that so many people will be gawping at that lot, so you could walk miles after dark & no-one would take a blind bit of notice.

A daytime excursion on foot would of course be more challenging.

Tom

P.S. Living out in the Styx we load our (mostly plastic) domestic accumulated rubbish into our horse-trailer and about once per two months I visit our recycling center & dump the lot. Good value at Eur 4.50 a time. Half that if I just turn up with a car load.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
TheSkirtedMan
Member Extraordinaire

Post by TheSkirtedMan »

Well done. As already said, the first time is always the hardest but it gets easier from now and your ventures further.

Very rarely do I get a negative reaction. Most people just interact as a fellow human being and the few that don't, best ignored and show with confidence you are not bothered. In the right place a return "shot" can be sent but best ignored as it can come over as though you are insecure. They are the minority.

Life in trousers as a man or skirt as a man is the same. Being you, yourself, an individual is very liberating and empowering.

Keep it up.
Be yourself because an original is worth more than a copy.
Ballyer

Post by Ballyer »

Now the second time outside - today I went to a place called Sallins (about 15 miles away from where I live) and did a 6 mile round trip walk along a canal towpath wearing the same setup as in the photo above. Passed at least a dozen people on the journey plus at least the same number of cars on the section of the walk where the towpath is a road.

Not a single person said anything. In one way, that counts as a success that a guy can wear a skirt and not attract comment (or worse) but in a way, I am slightly disappointed that not a single person asked me why or commented about it.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Ballyer
Well done for your second outing and it will just get easier and more enjoyable too.
While you don't notice any reactions that doesn't really mean that nobody has spotted your skirt.
As for conversation, you can instigate one with a simple Good Morning/Afternoon or whatever. I have found that it all adds to the fun.
The comments and questions will certainly come along eventually and that should also enhance the whole experience.
Just relax, smile at the world and enjoy.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I have found that a warm smile and a hearty Good Morning or Afternoon will bring a smile on the face of the person you are meeting or passing and sometimes will result in a nice conversation.
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Even eye contact with a nod and/or a smile will show the world you are not living in your own bubble.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
dillon
Member Extraordinaire

Post by dillon »

Baby steps. It gets easier as you learn to focus more on the task or purpose of the trip, and less on what you’re wearing. You will likely never be unconscious of your attire, but why would you want to be? Enjoying the difference is half the pleasure.
As a matter of fact, the sun DOES shine out of my ...