Thank God for Utilikilts!

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Thank God for Utilikilts!

Post by moonshadow »

Somebody get weeladdie a Snickers bar.... :P

Seriously though... I'd venture a guess that if the makers of the Utility-Kilt called it a Utility skirt (yes I'll agree... that's really all it is, not a true kilt), then lets face it, very few men would buy one as most men do not want to be associated with the word "skirt".

It makes me no never-mind. I don't own a Utility kilt, not because I don't like them, I just don't believe they align with my chosen style. And they're pricey too.
But for what it's worth, the U.T. seems very popular and fashionable amongst many American men across the nation. I see them often here in Appalachia, especially during the warmer months.

As for analogies.. the Utility Kilt is like American cheese. Unlike all other cheeses, American cheese isn't really cheese at all, but people still eat it on sandwiches and sloppy joes.

Why? Because that's just how we roll man....
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

moonshadow wrote:...... As for analogies.. the Utility Kilt is like American cheese. Unlike all other cheeses, American cheese isn't really cheese at all, but people still eat it on sandwiches and sloppy joes.

Why? Because that's just how we roll man....
If they try to sell these cheese look alikes in Europe, they will reinstate the death penalty. ;)

As a Dutch cheese lover I still have to find the first real cheese that is labeled as Gouda or Edam and taste like the original. Wisconsin is doing a bad job.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

beachlion wrote:If they try to sell these cheese look alikes in Europe, they will reinstate the death penalty. ;)

As a Dutch cheese lover I still have to find the first real cheese that is labeled as Gouda or Edam and taste like the original. Wisconsin is doing a bad job.
Now you're not about to go off on a tiraid about our "Imitation Pasteurized Process Cheese Food" are you? 8) :lol:

'Cause I've got a Snickers bar with your name on it too young man.... :mrgreen: :wink:

:hide:

... and don't even suggest that we use fake nuts in our candy bars either... *** runs and hides*** hehehehe.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Just remember: It's all fun and games until someone drinks from the beer can with the cigarette butts in it!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

On subject, "every kilt is a skirt, but not every skirt is a Kilt"!
I don't do "The Kilt" for my own reasons which I don't need to justify to anyone.
I'm not about to get thrown into the dungeons of Edinburgh Castle for wearing the wrong tartan or inappropriate accessories.
Cheese wise. I'd prefer American cheese to some of the more outlandish European Classic varieties.
No rules in either case, just personal preference.
That is simply how I roll.
Steve.
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

Ŕ
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Lol....

A praise for utility kilts turns to a debate over what is a true kilt to which countrys cheese is the best...

Only on skirt cafe.... :lol:

This is why I love this place! :D
-Andrea
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

I don't own nor wear the kilt, however I own and wear skirts. I have about 30 or so skirts in my closet. Kilts are fine for the "Rich and Famous" of which I am not. Skirts are for the rest of us thrill seekers.

As for cheese I enjoy Blue cheese, Parmesan cheese, American cheese from Wisconsin, Swiss Cheese, as well as American processed cheese from where ever it comes from.
I Make grilled cheese sandwiches with any cheese that is handy or any mix of cheese's that are laying around the kitchen.

Just like anything else there are no rules and I like wine but I can not tell the difference between old wine and new wine nor the fruit nor where it was made nor when or how it was made. It is just wine!! :hide: :rofl:

And that is how I roll!!!!!!!!!!
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ah, So that's what the Virginians offer the tourists as 'gourmet experience'....Opened half-full beer cans with cigarette butts inside. Well I never!.... :shock:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
BobM
Member Extraordinaire

Post by BobM »

weeladdie18 wrote:This is an interesting Post. The manufactures claimed that this garment is a mans skirt....

..It does appear to me that the manufacturer has mislead the purchaser into believing
he is wearing what I would call a traditional Scottish kilt when he is wearing a mans skirt
News flash! A kilt is defined as a man's skirt, a pleated skirt, usually--but not always--in tartan. A utility kilt is a mans' pleated skirt. I'm not aware of a single instance of someone buying a utility kilt thinking it was a traditional Scottish kilt.
Ordained Deacon and Ruling Elder, Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

BobM wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:This is an interesting Post. The manufactures claimed that this garment is a mans skirt....

..It does appear to me that the manufacturer has mislead the purchaser into believing
he is wearing what I would call a traditional Scottish kilt when he is wearing a mans skirt
News flash! A kilt is defined as a man's skirt, a pleated skirt, usually--but not always--in tartan. A utility kilt is a mans' pleated skirt. I'm not aware of a single instance of someone buying a utility kilt thinking it was a traditional Scottish kilt.
Some people are fanatic about cheese (me for instance) and others about kilts. Like we say in Dutch:"Ieder z'n meug" or more or less translated: everybody have their preferences.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Being not religious, I'm just plain thankful for Utilikilts. It was a stepping stone to bring my skirt wearing into the house.
I started to wear skirts secretly on hikes in a nearby wooded area. They had made paths for mountain biking and it was a real hike over boulders. Skirts helped a lot with the climbing. Out of the blue (maybe Braveheart was on TV) my wife asked how a kilt would fit me. That was my break so I bought a UTkilt and started wearing it around the house. I made a few more and my wife liked it. Then I made a wrap around skirt in the same form as a kilt but without the pleats. And so my skirt wearing started.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Moon I'm with you. The hits just keep coming. LOL
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote: As for analogies.. the Utility Kilt is like American cheese. Unlike all other cheeses, American cheese isn't really cheese at all, but people still eat it on sandwiches and sloppy joes.
On my next trip to the USA I will try to remember to see if I can find a can of spray cheese, which I hear y'all have. So far, a drink called Chocolate Yoohoo is the only food-like thing I miss and think of as distinctly USA-ican. We had a store here that carried it once, many years ago, but ceased. The Utilikilt, likewise, is the only skirt I think of as distinctly USA-ican.
Daryl...
Blackpassage

Post by Blackpassage »

At a christmas party the other night, i recieved a lot of positive comments on my ensemble. In particular, my use of leggings instead of socks. I was as if nobody had ever though of that before lol. I wore camo leggings with my beige kilt. The other thing is length. Mine comes to just the top of my kneecap, very conservitive in my view. I just cant stand fabric banging my knees all the time. I dont know what the big deal is over length, remember how short our shorts were in the seventies? Now guys seem almost to afraid to show their knees in shorts, let alone a skirt!
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Blackpassage wrote:At a christmas party the other night, i recieved a lot of positive comments on my ensemble. In particular, my use of leggings instead of socks. I was as if nobody had ever though of that before lol. I wore camo leggings with my beige kilt. The other thing is length. Mine comes to just the top of my kneecap, very conservitive in my view. I just cant stand fabric banging my knees all the time. I dont know what the big deal is over length, remember how short our shorts were in the seventies? Now guys seem almost to afraid to show their knees in shorts, let alone a skirt!
I remember how short girl's shorts were in the 70s, but not my shorts. Dunno why that is...

Top of kneecap "conservative"? Maybe way over there on the left coast...
Daryl...