Sims 4

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Sims 4

Post by WesleyN »

My daughter loves this game: Sims 4. With this game you can create family, decorate houses and so on. A lot more fun than all those shooting games. I always had Sim City. With that you could create a city or village. But with Sims 4 it goes a step further. For me she had created the following characters. A romantic man in skirt, who loves music. And a woman with the same personality.
20181217_173438.jpg
20181217_173451.jpg
20181217_173513.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sims 4

Post by Ralph »

That's why I play Second Life. You can create your avatar down to the last detail - eyeballs, fingernails, hair, size, shape, muscles... so I created one who looks like me, right down to the shaggy grey hair and embarrassingly large beer belly. Then I scanned in photos of my favorite clothes and created outfits for my avatar to wear, and I go walking around in popular places to see what kind of reaction I get.

Sometimes I'll get helpful advice explaining that I don't have to use a male avatar, and directions on where to find and how to use a female avatar. They presumably see that I've been playing this for the better part of 10 years; I'm not using a stock avatar or stock clothing... but somehow I've still never gotten the hang of changing to a female body. When I try to explain to them that I don't _want_ to present as female, just a man wearing a dress, they don't seem to know how to respond.

For a while I tried hanging around the places catering to nonbinary/genderfluid/whatever, but they seem to be magnets for the folks who are in it for sexual thrills... "genderfluid" seems to be used in SL mostly to mean "Look at me wearing a female shape but with gigantic male genitalia waving around and poking out of my miniskirt!"

It's a mixed-up, muddled-up, shook-up world...

So anyhow, if any of y'all play Second Life look up RalphKramden Putzo (Yeah, I know... we were only given a limited choice of last names, and I didn't think I'd stay around very long so I just came up with a joke name).

Ralph!
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

I also played Second Life for a few years. Also a man in a skirt, a punk woman and a fat Surinamese woman, who always wears leggings. I did not need a relationship with women. I already have that in real life. But the man in skirt did have a lot of girlfriends. And that woman did not want sex. So she was considered a lesbian or male hater. Very strange reactions. Women reacted nicer to my avatars. The fat woman in leggings also received many positive reactions. She looked realistic again.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

My daughter has previously created a transgender and a family where they all weight one kilo more. It is the world that she knows. From in reality or from television. Just. Accept how people are. We are all people of flesh and blood.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I've been playing the Sim City series since the "classic" (then it was just called "Sim City"), having built my first city in the middle school computer lab (the only room in the school lined with the "Tandy" computers ever so popular in schools during the time). Later moving on to Sim City 2000, Sim City 3000, and finally to Sim City 4.

Somewhere along the line, Maxis introduced "The Sims" into the mix, I purchased a copy of it a long time ago, but for some reason I never took to it, and just kept playing Sim City.

I dread the day when this computer of mine dies out and I will no longer have a machine old enough to play the antiquated game. It's one of the few games left where you don't need to have an internet connection to play, nor does it require a regular paid subscription. I suppose when this machine dies, I'll have to find a local Carl[0] to build me an antique windoze machine to run my favorite game.

I also greatly miss After Dark screen savers, but I digress.

I also had someone talk me into the whole "second life" thingy a while back, but once again, I never developed a liking for it. Jenn was pretty heavy into "Small Worlds", which I believe is similar to second life. She played the role playing game right up to the day the site shut down.

No sir, I'm afraid the only cartoon depiction of Moon Shadow is over to the right, in my anime avatar.

They said I could be anything I wanted, and I decided to be a electric roof ventilator.

[0] Bonus points if he too wears Victorian skirts!
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

How feel it to be an electric roof ventilator? If you can write your feelings as an electric roof ventilator. ;)

I don't like computer games. Except Sim City. That was really okay. But I like programming software. With my cousin, we created a soccer manager with Basic for the computer without animations. And later I created "4 op een rij" (4 on a row) and (kruisje/rondje) (cross/round). What is the English name Beachlion? And when my daughter was born I have some more simple games for my girl such like "memory". On the internet I play Songpop.

Second Life is not a real life. It's a fantasy world. For some people it was for real. In the beginning I couldn't understand people, maybe because I didn't take everybody seriously. It was a game for me. I also played a role. Later I went more seriously. But then I did not show my real self. Even though my male person was a man in a skirt.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I dread the day when this computer of mine dies out and I will no longer have a machine old enough to play the antiquated game. It's one of the few games left where you don't need to have an internet connection to play, nor does it require a regular paid subscription. I suppose when this machine dies, I'll have to find a local Carl[0] to build me an antique windoze machine to run my favorite game.
Look into virtualisation technology. That'll likely let you run your old game in a "container" on a newer system -- likely for years to come. There are several types out there, but the the one I'm most familiar with is Oracle's (ex Sun's) "VirtualBox" which can be downloaded for free personal/non-commercial use. I'm not sure how well it handles heavy-duty graphics in a VM (Virtual Machine), but all the basic stuff works quite nicely.

I, for years, was an avid player of Unreal Tournament (a FPS (First Person Shooter) but found that the better I got at the game, the worse I got for real on the range and vice-versa. I've tried playing it on a VM, but the very high polygon-rate of the graphics almost overwhelmed the graphics capability of the hardware that the VM was running on.
No sir, I'm afraid the only cartoon depiction of Moon Shadow is over to the right, in my anime avatar.
That'd be your other right, sir. Unless you're behind the glass (in which case, you have an electron gun pointed at your back). [1]
They said I could be anything I wanted, and I decided to be a electric roof ventilator.
How dull! All one does in life is suck on one side and blow on the other.
[0] Bonus points if he too wears Victorian skirts!
Heh. Good luck. But thanks for the vote of confidence!

[1] Let's see if anybody gets that one. Most everybody here is old enough to. One of the best computer "fortune cookies" I've eve seen was from a couple of decades ago: "I've got an electron gun pointed straight at your head. Put your hands up, back away from the keyboard, and nobody will get hurt." Alas, nobody under his mid-20s will get that now unless he's some sort of oddball historian with a fetish for old technology. "Dad, Why do old folks call televisions 'tubes'? And why do they laugh at us when we talk about the magic of 'wireless television'?"
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

crfriend wrote:[1] Let's see if anybody gets that one. Most everybody here is old enough to. One of the best computer "fortune cookies" I've eve seen was from a couple of decades ago: "I've got an electron gun pointed straight at your head. Put your hands up, back away from the keyboard, and nobody will get hurt." Alas, nobody under his mid-20s will get that now unless he's some sort of oddball historian with a fetish for old technology. "Dad, Why do old folks call televisions 'tubes'? And why do they laugh at us when we talk about the magic of 'wireless television'?"
Indeed, somewhere on reddit a millennial has certainly asked "why is 'you tube' called 'you... TUBE'"?

I got the joke... and up until about a month ago had a CRT TV set in my bedroom. It got retired when we pulled the TV out of the living room and put it in the old TVs place. The old set still sits in the basement in case I should need it one day.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Adding on to what crfriend said:
I pulled my Win98 install diskettes and WinXP CDROM into image files (.dsk and .iso, respectively) on my hard drive, and installed the (free!) VMWare Player, both on my Linux and my Windows boxes. I play Age of Empires and Sim City *all the time* on a virtual Microsoft playground in a window on my desktop. Since that was designed for 1024x768 and my monitor is four times that size, the entire "Windows machine" takes up a quarter of the real estate and not even a tenth of my available RAM.

The only difficulty with VMs is that the really old games were timed for the speed of a 1980s-era CPU; playing them in a gigahertz world, even on a simulated 80486, makes the game fly past so quickly you don't have time to react. Not a problem with Age of Kings, at least, but some of the old platform jump games like Karateka don't work unless you can figure out a way to slow the VM down.
Ralph!