I Finally Did It... My 1st Time Out in a Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I Finally Did It... My 1st Time Out in a Skirt

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well done Dave....I have been out on the streets as "A Man in a Skirt " for years.
I have only been a member of this forum since April.....If you trawl back that far you will find
Plenty of thoughts and experiences from all of us.....
Christmas Parties and New Years Eve are the times to look your best.....

There is plenty of information on Men in Skirts on the internet.

Locally in Cornwall, S.W. U.K. the Christmas Lights will not be lit until next week end .5 December
This will be followed by a procession the following weekend
to celebrate the arrival of Father Christmas.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

SEPADave wrote:Since joining this site, reading all of your updates daily and reviewing your positive words of encouragement and your own personal success stories, I finally mustered the courage and went out into public last night in a skirt.
Great to hear your story of making that first public outing and now you will be inspiring others to do the same.
I am interested in what style, length and colour you chose to wear for first time out.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
mskirt

Post by mskirt »

Congratulations on working up the courage! It gets easier and more fun the more you go out! How about a picture or description of your skirt?
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Congratulations on a great first outing. It was bold, complete, and successful in every way. My only one time public appearance had mixed results. Your successful first venture encourages me to keep trying. Keep posting about your outings if you're willing. Thanks for leading by example.
saltwood

Post by saltwood »

Absolutely marvellous fella. It takes courage and I am delighted that you found yours. Interestingly I still find wearing skirts outside my front door harder than down in the town or out and about generally. What's that all about, eh? Anyhoo, keep skirting and changing attitudes :-D
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

saltwood, I suppose that neighbours are a little closer to you than absolute strangers even though their opinions don't really matter. I had a problem going in skirted to the local newspaper shop but then I realised I was being illogical and overcome it.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

I am very much a skirt newbie and would like to thank everyone in SkirtCafe for their encouraging posts. Posts such as SEPADave's give a tremendous amount of encouragement for people like me who still falter on being open and public about their skirt-wearing. I've been limiting myself to wearing my skirts in public only at night on my walks back to my car from working and evening job. Such posts are very energizing and really help to build confidence. Thanks to all!
Brad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Brad »

That sounds like a great first time Dave. Thanks for sharing. I hope there is a 2nd time, and I hope that anyone in this forum who is afraid to take the plunge may find the confidence to do so.
Happy-N-Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Happy-N-Skirts »

I would start by walking in a park, on a beach, national or state forest or park. You can take lesser used trails at a specific time of the day and day of the week. Then try a mall, shopping center, store at a quieter time of the day. Shop for a skirt at your favorite clothing store. Talk with a sales associate. They are very empathetic and happy to show you their inventory. If you ask them about a "masculine skirt" they can narrow down what you are looking for. If you are looking for girlie skirts, you can tell them. If they start with "what size is she?", just tell them it is for you. What is the most that could happen? It works for me.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Keystone wrote:I am very much a skirt newbie and would like to thank everyone in SkirtCafe for their encouraging posts. Posts such as SEPADave's give a tremendous amount of encouragement for people like me who still falter on being open and public about their skirt-wearing. I've been limiting myself to wearing my skirts in public only at night on my walks back to my car from working and evening job. Such posts are very energizing and really help to build confidence. Thanks to all!
Great going! If lonely situations at night are all you can do for now, do keep doing that.

But meanwhile, keep thinking about what a first daytime outing might be. Buying gas or buying something from a convenience store some distance from home might be possibilities. Both are short, anonymous, and provide a quick getaway.

Or find an event that's counter-cultural anyway. For me, it was a tattoo convention but it could also be a craft show, an art district, a comicon, or a rock concert. Whatever works.

The important part is to present a friendly and confident attitude, even if you have to fake it. If you act like a creep, they'll think you're a creep. If you act like a nice guy, they'll think you're a nice guy, even if your clothes are a bit unconventional. All kinds of people wear all kinds of unconventional clothes every day. So what?

Just keep at it until you're ready.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Caultron wrote: But meanwhile, keep thinking about what a first daytime outing might be. Buying gas or buying something from a convenience store some distance from home might be possibilities. Both are short, anonymous, and provide a quick getaway.

Or find an event that's counter-cultural anyway....

The important part is to present a friendly and confident attitude, even if you have to fake it....

Just keep at it until you're ready.
Caultron, Thanks for all the great suggestions. I do feel my confidence slowly building. I like the suggestions about attending counter-cultural events. I've attended an sculpture fair in Loveland, CO and that would have been the perfect moment. I noticed that Scottsdale, AZ has a fairly large art community and that probably would have worked as well. I used to have friends that live in Troon North, Scottsdale but that moved back to Germany. I think rural PA missed out on the counter-culture movement. The only thing we have here is out-of-work steel workers and old miners suffering from black lung. We have some nice hiking trails nearby and I think that will daytime skirt opener.
Shockingly, about two years ago I saw a man in the supermarket wearing a pleated skirt with his girl friend. He looked pretty rough (like 20 miles of bad road) but he was out there sporting his skirt to which I give him credit. I ran into another guy at the local brew pub wearing a kilt and we struck up a pleasent conversation. I then ran into him at the supermarket a month later. Three local sightings is very encouraging but judging by other people's SkirtCafe posts, these are very rare. I accept the notion that if I want to wear a skirt in rural PA that I'm going to be on my own. For the initial first year and a half, I've hidden my skirt wearing interest from my wife but now I'm gradually exposing her to it. I took a pair of cheap boxer shorts and cut out the crotch and turned it into a skirt. It took her a month to notice. When she asked why, I told her that it's much more comfortable for grading papers and long-term sitting. She seemed to accept that. With the ice broken, I wear the boxer skirt whenever I can to make its presence mundane. She loves it when I wear leggings because it make my a$$ look good. I'm hoping to catch a lucky break with skirts as well. Next, I'll buy sweat skirt and continue to take it slow and build from there. Thanks for your encouragement and for leading by example.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Keystone wrote:...I noticed that Scottsdale, AZ has a fairly large art community and that probably would have worked as well. I used to have friends that live in Troon North, Scottsdale but that moved back to Germany...
If it would help, the next time you're in Scottssale, Phoenix, or nearby, let me know and we can meet skirted for a beer or whatever. Safety in numbers and all that.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Keystone

Post by Keystone »

Hey thanks for the invite! Next time I'm out, I'll take you up on that. I'm not exactly sure what that would be but that would certainly add to the visit. Best regards!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Keystone wrote:Hey thanks for the invite! Next time I'm out, I'll take you up on that. I'm not exactly sure what that would be but that would certainly add to the visit. Best regards!
We can talk about specifics when the time comes. Lunch at a craft brewery, hiking, a hockey game, an art or craft show, a stroll around downtown Scottsdale, Cave Creek, or Carefree...

I suppose the objective would be to make it easier for you to wear a skirt publicly by not being the only one.

caultron
jamesy

Post by jamesy »

I've had several outings in a skirt now. One was a whole day, the others part days. Always on my own since the first couple of times when my wife was on side - which she has now remigged on.

I have yet to have anyone take more than a passing glance until last Saturday when a guy approached me, shook my hand and said i had more guts than he did wearing what I was wearing.

I'm no longer worried about it, would happily wear one regularly with spousal approval. I am tall, slimish, and carry myself well. I have always overflowed with self confidence, so own the skirt when wearing it.

I don't think the general community really cares, it's our own insecurity about possible adverse reactions.

The more those of us who venture outdoors in skirts and share our thoughts and successes, the more courage others will have to step out of their home in a skirt.