Over or bottom up?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Over or bottom up?

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would assume the male shoulders or female breast measurement would be larger than the
male or female hip...so pulling up the skirt waist band over the hip would be the obvious choice.....

The dress usually has a rear zip to pull upwards to fasten hips , waist , Breast or chest and then
shoulders and neck to fitting dimensions. So pull dress over the head and down to waist and hem
to give correct fitting and fastening.....

Personal dimension outlines may show unusual vital statistics......

I do not like dresses as they are difficult to put on or take off in the confines of a small changing room

Please show us a video ....L.O.L.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Wear a wrap around garment and solve any marital dispute
skirtpettiman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtpettiman »

If I'm wearing a slip or petticoat, which I always do, then over the head it goes unless it's a utility kilt or wrap skirt. Alternatively I put my slip and petticoat inside the skirt and pull all three on simultaneously. I have found that putting on a skirt first and pulling other layers up underneath after doesn't really work as I like to get the slip and petticoat waistbands the same level as my skirt waistband before tightening my belt to prevent an embarrassing slip or petticoat show at the hem.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

I have never tried over the head, being a large person with wide shoulders I never even thought about that way, with petticoats or hoops, I put the skirt on first, then the petticoat, then tweak things until they are right.
I will try the top route and get back to you...
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:I would assume the male shoulders or female breast measurement would be larger than the
male or female hip...so pulling up the skirt waist band over the hip would be the obvious choice.
It depends on what other factors are in play. Yes, a man's shoulders are typically larger in dimension than his hips, and in the case of a woman when factoring in bust size it's likely almost certain that the upper dimension is larger than that for the hip one -- and this is assuming female dimensions not the "little boy" dimensions that are fashionable today.

So, with the above being said, I'll call up my prior assertion: just try getting a skirt upwards from the deck if you've already get a petticoat or a hoop on. It's just not going to happen, and even if one can force it to happen the results will likely not be pleasing to the eye. So, the logical answer is "up and over".

Now, also recall, that rigid-waistband skirts open up (by any number of means) and skirts with elastic waists are remarkably forgiving. Tossing "up and over" is not an issue in the slightest -- and this is especially true of historically-cut skirts. The couple I have of that ilk use buttons to fasten the waistband (two one each side, for adjustment) and I only need to undo one side to chuck the thing overhead, catch it at the right spot as it comes down, and button it in the back. It sounds complex, but it takes seconds to do once one learns the technique -- and the results look one heck of a lot better than if you'd tried stuffing the petticoat (never mind a hoop) through the opened waistband.

With plain slips it's "up from below" for this boy, but for anything more complex it's "up and over". It's easier and just looks better.

Doffing is much simpler. Undo the fasteners, drop the whole rig to the deck, and step out of it. Easy.
Please show us a video ....L.O.L.
There's a link here already that I posted some time ago which went into great detail explaining the operation of a full crinoline rig (and if you think a single hoop is complex...) and the operation was very clearly "up and over" to don, and "undo and drop" to doff. The video was also interesting in that it showed up that these sorts of rigs weren't anywhere near as cumbersome as one would think. It's actually possible to make pretty good speed in one, and I can attest that I've actually gotten to a run wearing an ankle-length skirt.

After a short search, this came up. It's instructive.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Well, this thread is very instructive. I always put on a mini like a pair of shorts. Usually I don't tuck my shirt in but this morning I was getting ready to leave early to go shopping and had a shirt that would have been too long over a mini skirt, so knowing I wanted it tucked in ............ I put my skirt on over my head after the shirt ....... worked really well, just had to loosen the shirt a bit after.
Thanks folks.

PS. Going shopping is no mean feat; bringing icecream back 200 kms in 40C heat is just one challenge.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

For skirts, bottom up every time.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

This thread reminded me of what my dad always said... "Every man puts his pants on one leg at a time". I think he never envisioned a man wearing a skirt, as that brings out a t least 3 ways (Wrap around, Over the top, or bottom up.)

I've always done bottom up, and that does seem to work for me. The exception is, now that it is winter, the underskirt I wear is easier to put on first and then skirt over the top. It seems to work fine that way.

Interesting, My wife wanted to wear one of my skirts to work, and, according to her, she can usually go over or bottom up just as easily. However, the nice blue kilt she wanted to wear would not go either way without unbuckling it. She claims that everything she has fits without buckling, or unbuckling. Seems that if a woman's skirt is too tight to just slip on, it has a hidden sipper or something easy. She proclaimed that kilts are just too much trouble. I always figured the wrap around design of kilts was an attribute, but now I'm shown another point of view.

(I realize some may be offended by a woman wearing one of my kilts, and for that I apologize. She never did put it on.)
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

lazerr wrote:This thread reminded me of what my dad always said... "Every man puts his pants on one leg at a time". ......
Your father was not right in this case. When I'm able to sit, I pull my pants on with two legs at the same time. That must be the rational streak in me as an engineer. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Jetblasted

Post by Jetblasted »

I step into my skirts.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Hmm! Interesting. I put on a skirt the same way I do pants.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Lazerr,
I just spotted this comment you made

(I realize some may be offended by a woman wearing one of my kilts, and for that I apologize. She never did put it on.)
lazerr

Far from apologising, you should be grateful and proud to be able to note that possibility.
It's a pity that she didn't wear it too. It would only have been bad if it suited her better than you.
Steve.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

mishawakaskirt wrote:Me and my wife had a somewhat heated discussion the other day on how to properly put on a skirt.
I say you pull them on and off like trousers.
She insists you must pull it over the head arms and torso. But then can remove the skirt like you would trousers.

Ok Café members what are your thoughts?
I use both methods. Which method depends on the stuff I am wearing underneath, and on how easy the skirt is to open up to allow tucking shirts and stuff in. Overhead certainly saves a lot of time tucking and straightening things out. I'll bet that's your wife's rationale.

My wife saved me from walking out the door with my skirt hung up in the waistband of my tights, once. This is a very good argument for both the overhead method and for putting on everything else first and the skirt last.
Daryl...
KellyRain

Post by KellyRain »

Most of mine are wrap skirts because they are the easiest to deal with. So neither.

For the skirts that I do need to pull up, or over. I choose up. No reason not to.

My wife says over the head for dresses 100%. Skirts she steps into. But she is a bit of a tomboy so there is that.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dresses always top down, skirts, could be either. Elasticated waistband generally bottom up, zippered top down. Whatever seems easiest at the time, I suppose.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.