Sewing table

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Sewing table

Post by beachlion »

I did my sewing on a third world style table, two saw horses and a quarter sheet of 3/4" ply. As a table cloth I used an old shower curtain. Time for something more substantial'
In my workshop I made a table with a folding section. For an easier flow of the fabric, I made a hole in the table top to have the sewing machine bed flush with the top.
P1010530q.jpg
P1010532q.jpg
P1010544q.jpg
P1010574q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sewing table 2

Post by beachlion »

P1010536q.jpg
P1010576q.jpg
P1010577q.jpg
I will add a small cabinet with drawers to keep the material organised.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Sewing table

Post by partlyscot »

Nice! I'm envious, I finally have a dedicated sewing table, but it's just a $5 special from Ikea. Will look at doing a cutout like that for the machine. Do you have any kind of lift mechanism for changing bobbins or looping work around the end?
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

I wish I had the room for that - and the skill to make it.

I have made a useful gadget for storing each colour of thread with its matching bobbin; it saves a lot of time rummaging through boxes of bobbins - or winding one, only to discover that there was already one with that colour lurking in the bottom of the box.  It consists of a length of 2" x 1" wooden batten with 3" screws (minus their heads) driven into it at intervals, one bobbin and its matching reel of cotton is slipped over each screw.  Spare bobbins are very cheap, so it is worth buying a dozen or two.

First the holes for the screws are drilled in the batten to thread core diameter and about three-quarters of an inch deep. The heads are sawn off the screws and the rough ends tidied up with a file or a lathe (or by using a power drill in a vice as an improvised lathe).  A drill chuck or large pin vice is then used to grip the headless screws and drive them into the wood to the required depth.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Very nice.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

BL, that is a work of art -- absolutely magnificent. I wish I had 1/4 the woodworking chops as you have.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Don't make me blush.
After a life in metal, I discovered woodworking as a hobby after retirement in 2005. Before that, it was more repairs or replacement of broken things. There was always some creative force in me and with woodworking and sewing, it sees the light of day. They key to satisfactory woodworking is sharp tools. The difference between sharp and dull tools is like the difference between a racing car and a worn out family sedan. You can steer your tools very precise when they are sharp. It took me years to discover that.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

You are a fine craftsman, indeed!
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

pelmut wrote:I wish I had the room for that - and the skill to make it.

I have made a useful gadget for storing each colour of thread with its matching bobbin; it saves a lot of time rummaging through boxes of bobbins - or winding one, only to discover that there was already one with that colour lurking in the bottom of the box.  It consists of a length of 2" x 1" wooden batten with 3" screws (minus their heads) driven into it at intervals, one bobbin and its matching reel of cotton is slipped over each screw.  Spare bobbins are very cheap, so it is worth buying a dozen or two.

First the holes for the screws are drilled in the batten to thread core diameter and about three-quarters of an inch deep. The heads are sawn off the screws and the rough ends tidied up with a file or a lathe (or by using a power drill in a vice as an improvised lathe).  A drill chuck or large pin vice is then used to grip the headless screws and drive them into the wood to the required depth.
I already have a system in place for the bobbins and threads. A fold-out sort of toolbox with divided trays.
P1010307q.jpg
P1010349q.jpg
I will make a cabinet with drawers and a similar arrangement for one or two drawers to keep the same threads together.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

WOW!!! That is some fine detail. The skill you have is just fantastic and I am jealous.

Great work!! :D :D :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

beachlion wrote:I will make a cabinet with drawers and a similar arrangement for one or two drawers to keep the same threads together.
You will find it saves no end of time rummaging about when you need to change thread colours.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

Wow that is some nice work beachlion!
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Great work, BL. Very impressive indeed. Chippendale started out as an unknown lackey in a cooperage, helping make barrels for the brewers!

I suppose you laid off the metalwork when the Titanic rolled down the slipway. :P

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire

Post by beachlion »

Kirbstone wrote:Great work, BL. Very impressive indeed. Chippendale started out as an unknown lackey in a cooperage, helping make barrels for the brewers!

I suppose you laid off the metalwork when the Titanic rolled down the slipway. :P

Tom
:bow:

Thanks to my wood working, I know there is more Chippendale than just a group of male dancers.

I was relieved when I heard an iceberg was the cause of the disaster and not my lousy riveting.

But metalwork is stil in all my fibres. My first woodwork projects looked like steelconstruction in woodcolor. But slowly I learned the typical wood joints. It is strange that I can saw and file metal more straight and square than wood. ;) And I don't know why.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Beach Lion and Tom.....My comments are...That is an interesting Tradesman's Table....
I have my mother's Singer sewing machine in my lounge....Probably post war ....
When I was a small boy I was slave labour and my task was to turn the handle of the
machine. When I was old enough to claim my human rights, father purchased an
Electric Motor Attachment and a foot operated control peddle.....
The machine has not been used since atleast 2005. say 20 years....
Also have upgraded Machine ...All plastic with zigzag stitching for use in the rag trade...
Local outworking ...Made to measure Swinging Sixties Boutique Style throw away clothes.
Plenty of charming young ladies running round the Family Home in their Underwear,
and showing off their stockings and suspenders which the would wear under their new dress
to a wedding or 21 st Birth Day Party....the ladies in question had come for a fitting....
The garments had been tacked and was Pinned in front a full length tailors mirror......

The machine was operated on the centre section of an oval gate legged table.
The table was topped with foam and the machine stood on a large piece of hardboard
on one side of the table so two legs of the table were directly under the working area of the
machine nearest the operator.

I was in a fishermans store the other day and the gentleman said to me ..." I was given some
fire wood the other day , I am retired so I do not have time to cut it up on my bandsaw...."
The old Fisherman gave me the table because it was too good to cut up for fire wood
A pine top gate leg table probably 8 feet long . Another table for my lounge ....
Ideal as a working surface to make a model boat
A model of a 1907 Breton Sailing tunny fisher. The original was a 50 foot sailing vessel
with two masts and no engine with the out riggers and fish processing table on deck.