Pockets differences

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Jean Suifou

Pockets differences

Post by Jean Suifou »

Before starting to read more about skirts, I had never considered that pockets could ever be different.
In the mean time, the following link appeared in the diversity & inclusion communication channel of my company, and I think this was worth sharing this study here:

https://pudding.cool/2018/08/pockets/

Therefore, one detail to make skirts look more Masculine would be to extend the pocket depth. :roll:
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Pockets differences

Post by r.m.anderson »

Interesting - very interesting - - -

Then consider exposed pockets front or back and the detached ones on utilikilts -
Consider side seaming pockets skirts dresses and fitted pants cleverly hidden within the seam details -
And hidden pockets like what is done with SportKilt kilts between the folds of the aprons -
On cargo pants additional pockets sewn attached to the leg just above the knee -
In some cases pockets sewn to pockets creating a double pocket -
Some ski or athletic gear have pockets on the sleeves of the garment -
Cycling jerseys have a small pocket in the center rear of the jersey - plus two others for water bottles -
Swim wear having a ultra small pocket in the waist suitable only for a coin or key -
Carried a step further with foot wear having a small pocket for the purpose like swim wear -
And the last resort the shoulder holster or thigh holster pocket ***
*** cr has a fit when I lift the hem of me skirt to get to the big wad of cash stash (what where you thinking of dirty minds) in thigh holster pocket of the compression shorts of the skort !

Pockets pockets everywhere now to only fill them with suitable loot or other useful materials !

End result for me I still like and use my cross-body bag regularly - Jeff has examples in just about everyone of his photos.
Don't have to worry about sitting on a bulging wallet and having it in an awkward inaccessible location - or just simply standing disrupting a smooth cupped posterior -
With all the plastic monetary media medical ID license etc. that bulge is about as user friendly as another type of bulge skirts are hiding or reducing from view.
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I'm a pockets person, but mostly I like to put my hands in them if they are at the hip. I never use rear pockets. I don't carry a Samsung or an I-phone. Bulkiest item would be my wallet, now very slim indeed with credit card type ID, Drivers licence and just two cards for purchases, one credit, the other debit. This means just a few small notes which add minimal bulk. Largest item is inevitably car & property keys, invariably carried in a jacket or overcoat (Irish climate!)

Going to work I carry a soft briefcase with short handles and a shoulder strap (like Jeff's) which I don't use. In it I put a slim little laptop, my current favourite book, a few items of fruit for my lunch, old-fashioned small mobile, cheque book (also old fashioned!) tiny reel measure, USB and a few coins, one for supermarket trolleys and a list of shopping/chores supplied by MOH, inevitably.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

Interesting and nicely designed webpage.
I do like pockets in skirts (and pants when I wear them). I do have some skirts without pockets but don't wear them as much as I would if they had them.
I generally don't need big pockets, just enough to fit keys and sometimes small change if I don't have my change purse with me. Phone and wallet I carry in a shoulder bag. If someone gives me a business card, I tend to put in in a back pocket with the intention of safe keeping but usually goes through the wash.
I do have a couple of skirts with "faux pockets", one has zipped faux pockets for extra security, so you can't lose nothin'.
I do own a skirt with a faux fly at the front (real fastening zip at the back), which is pointless but not as annoying as faux pockets as one doesn't need a fly on a skirt.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I don't prioritise or rate a skirt on the presence of pockets.
As a hillwalker, skier and generally pragmatic guy, I recognise the need for them and the variety too. Horses for courses springs to mind.
What I have found surprising is the female attitude to them.
In many discussions, I have been told that a girl would happily pay a premium to have a skirt with practical pockets.
I am certain that I would not be, my choice is a trusty old "haversack", which meets my needs, admirably.
Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

As far as pockets go BLAH! :? I don't need pockets in my skirts or dresses since I carry a shoulder bag (purse). About the only time I use pockets is when I am wearing my heavy coat I tend to put my gloves and keys in them. I have a few dresses and skirts that have pockets in them and I sometimes put tissues in them when I have a cold. Then forget they are there and every thing then goes in the wash. And you know what happens, tissue all over the wash and every thing has to be redone some times several times to get the paper off the clothes. Pockets are unnecessary and unneeded!!! :D
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Stevie I have spoken regarding this matter previously....My drovers sporran ...soft leather ,can be
made using simple tools and leather thonging,......., draw string in the top to close pouch made of
one piece of leather, ...heavier piece of leather for pouch cover and loop to hold sporran on
waist belt. .....could be worn on bandolier shoulder belt....google drovers sporran...sold in
Edinburgh Kilt or Highland Dress suppliers......try Kiltmakers...Try Nicholson....
The traditional 17 c Replica is expensive ...I found a cheap replica in female bags.....

Various male or female shoulder bags, ...small haversack...Kids or ladies size. Male jacket with
plenty of pockets....Never use trouser , skirt or Kilt with pockets ....Find a fishermans smock with
front pouch pockets useful for standing up work ...eg net rigging ....use standard sheaths for knives
and tools.....all sorts of body bags for tradesmen..... Put a mobile phone in trouser pockets and one
may sit on it or never be able to remove phone from front trouser pocket when seated.
I found a bargain price lady's plain leather hand bag somewhere....
If on is new to this game....lay all your survival kit for your day's activity out on a table ......
then work out where you need to carry the item with regard to its priority of use.....
Breast pockets in jackets are handy...Cargo pockets in skirts or trousers are a waste of time....
My choice for Jacket might be hip and breast pockets , plus back pack or pair of shoulder bags
worn bandolier style.....there is no point in carrying too much junk if you cannot find it when you
need it.....It does make sense to wear one garment which you put on with all your junk in its chosen pocket.....just try to do this to some kind of routine.....weeladdie
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Fred in Skirts wrote:As far as pockets go BLAH! :? I don't need pockets in my skirts or dresses since I carry a shoulder bag (purse).
Hear hear!

IMHO, pockets are a conspiracy, forced upon men, and denied to women. Pocketbooks/shoulder bags/purses are MUCH better on the back and more aesthetically pleasing to the eye, and they hold more stuff!

When I have to drive either of our cars and I have to wear pants for whatever reason (visiting family), I have to take my billfold out and put it in the console as it hurts my back within 10 minutes of driving... at work I've lost count over the number of times I've rolled over on my keys whilst working under a piece of equipment...

Oh how I wish purses would come into style for men...

Pockets in a shirt? Okay... not so bad...

Pockets in your britches... *spit*
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:Pockets in your britches... *spit*
You don't live in England where the weather is wet and dull for months at a time, so everyone has the sniffles and needs to carry handkerchiefs. Women often shove them down their cleavage, but if you don't have a cleavage, you need pockets.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

pelmut wrote:
moonshadow wrote:Pockets in your britches... *spit*
You don't live in England where the weather is wet and dull for months at a time, so everyone has the sniffles and needs to carry handkerchiefs. Women often shove them down their cleavage, but if you don't have a cleavage, you need pockets.
I have allergies; I need to carry my handkerchiefs; preferably 2, a clean one for glasses cleaning and one for my nose. I also use a pocketknife many times a day for so many things. This is for just casual around the house, doing gardening, or whatever. I can use a small belt pack, but I have regular positions in pockets for my 3 objects that are so much easier. The smaller pockets made for women's wear usually work, but I prefer the traditional male-size pockets.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

pelmut wrote:Women often shove them down their cleavage
That in itself is a curious custom, like women who stuff money down their bra. It doesn't seem like the most secure way of holding things, plus I find it's like stuffing money in shoes.... kinda gross. I've worked it retail and have recieved paper bills damp and smelling of body odor..... eeewww!

I'll betcha if men had cleavage and were stuffing currency down their chest more than a few women would have issues with it.

One could ball the tissues and money up and keep it in ones underwear....

...or...

Carry a purse
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

moonshadow wrote:I'll betcha if men had cleavage and were stuffing currency down their chest more than a few women would have issues with it.
Now that was a visual I didn't need... Where's the bleach for my brain?

When the need arises, I carry a purse. I even call it a purse. It's where the money is, isn't it?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

moonshadow wrote:... women who stuff money down their bra. It doesn't seem like the most secure way of holding things,
It certainly makes it difficult for pickpockets to work unnoticed!
moonshadow wrote:One could ball the tissues and money up and keep it in ones underwear....
I've had to do that with a handkerchief when I was at a dance.  The trick is to fold it tidily and only tuck a portion of it inside the waistband at the side of your underpants, let the rest hang on the outside between the underwear and the skirt.  If you wear an underskirt or petticoat, use the waistband of that instead, it's much more hygenic.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

pelmut wrote:...The trick is to fold it tidily and only tuck a portion of it inside the waistband at the side of your underpants, let the rest hang on the outside between the underwear and the skirt.  If you wear an underskirt or petticoat, use the waistband of that instead, it's much more hygenic.
Ew. Just carry a man--bag (or purse, if you don't need the euphemism). They're not exactly unknown, you know. Keep an eye out and you'll see others with them.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

Caultron wrote:
pelmut wrote:...The trick is to fold it tidily and only tuck a portion of it inside the waistband at the side of your underpants, let the rest hang on the outside between the underwear and the skirt.  If you wear an underskirt or petticoat, use the waistband of that instead, it's much more hygenic.
Ew. Just carry a man--bag (or purse, if you don't need the euphemism). They're not exactly unknown, you know. Keep an eye out and you'll see others with them.
This was the reason:
pelmut wrote:I've had to do that with a handkerchief when I was at a dance
You can't carry a bag while you are dancing - especially folk dancing where it would swing out and hit the other dancers.