Tights, Pantyhose or Leggings

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Skirted at hom

Tights, Pantyhose or Leggings

Post by Skirted at hom »

Now that the weather outside is a bit frightful in other words the temps are a bit on the cool side what is the best leg wear for keeping the legs warm while in a skirt. Or is it nothing but personal preference as to what one should wear? Also does footwear have something to say in what is worn? For me or in my opinion tights would be the best option but I would also like to give leggings a shot as well. What do others wear this time of year?
KellyRain

Re: Tights, Pantyhose or Leggings

Post by KellyRain »

Getting cold here too. I have some easy go to items.

Uniqlo have some great warm tights for men and women. Men's are nicer fit if you are a big guy, girls better if you are thin. They have various weights for different degrees of protection from cold. I think Uniqlo is available online in the US at least.

Second option are ribbed tights. I usually put one simple pair of warm thin ones underneath the ribbed ones. Then I get no thin spots showing through as I sit or move around. I like charcoal grey or black for most kilts or skirts I have.

I don't like anything light colored so I avoid them. Just my taste.

Next I like bulky dark socks to top off shoes or boots.

About shoes. My go to are working boots. Monkey boots, Dr. Martins 8 hole boots, anything over the ankle with socks topping them off.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

I still have some stirrup pants that are heavier in weight than tights and work fine to ward off the slings and arrows of outrageous weather.

The thing about this weather thing is how much exposure you are willing to put up with - what is your comfort zone ?
When you are out in a gale force wind and your skirt needs lead weights to stay put and in place - maybe you should readjust your valiant loyal skirt
wearing to a better time to fight Don Quixote windmills. Pencil skirts are not going cut it and even skaters know enough to come in from the Russian front.

Petticoats maybe the answer but then you maybe blown about like a tumbleweed on the western prairie. At least consider wearing long johns until you
regain your warmed senses - WINDCHILL is not to be taken lightly - it is like a microwave enhanced suntan gone wrong. With sufficient cold temperature
and cyclonic winds the skin flash freezes rapidly past 2nd degree to 3 degree freezer burn and is difficult to restore to its original form without loss of tissue.

OK I have your attention - the cure is not a hot bath but oh contrary gradual cold water application warming degree by degree and it is painful as that place
that froze over in biblical times.

Surviving hypothermia will shock you when come out of a spill in a ice covered lake.

Only two worse places on the face of the earth the Antartica South Pole (my BIL has been there on 4 hitches with the US Navy) and perhaps Mount Washington
the White Mountains of New Hampshire where the highest wind forces on earth have been recorded. As for Antartica on a warm day the temperature is -65 F
fortunately it is a dry cold with little or no humidity to cleanly knife open exposed skin. But global warming is being more kind to mankind facetiously stated
recent weather trends have had the record books tossed aside - Hey Noah you better build a better bigger ark this time around !

Now back to the cold weather skirt dress wearing just like the beer commercial know when to say when and you should be able to weather the storm.
As long as you are not out on the frozen lawn with a frozen pop-cicle or custard and keeping your tongue off of flag poles wear some clothes and stay out of the drafts !
Best idea have a warm one roasting chestnuts by an open fire. Be that spy - come in out of the cold ! No need for wearing tights tutu and skating on swan lake !
This nutcracker weather well - I leave my soap box at this juncture and have a hot toddy going to bed dreaming of sugar plums and warm thoughts for all of you !

Merry Christmas - Happy New Years to all and to all a good warmly dressed night ! Don't be skirted to close to the fire place !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I find long wool socks best.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

I got turned onto these by a friend and I absolutely love them. I got them in black and in tan. Very, very comfortable!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Sexy-Wo ... 07206.html
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

Mike - I love the shine, but...comfortable? The price puts me off. Too cheap!

Turning to the OP: with my kilts, I wear kilt socks. Very warm. Under suits, I wear opaque hosiery in the 40-50 denier range - but it has to be less than 10c. With skirts....well, I don’t tend to wear them outside, but I’m in much the same opaques as all of my skirts are in the 18 to 22 inch range.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

For me I usually do not wear anything on my legs as I am out in the cold just long enough to get in the car and then into the store so don't have too much of the cold. When I travel I usually wear knee high compression stockings to help with the blood flow in my legs, this is especially true when flying long distances. If I am dressing up I will wear knee highs or thigh highs even in warmer weather. I have been out in -15 degree weather in Denver with out any thing on my legs and was not uncomfortable.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Mike »

Ray wrote:Mike - I love the shine, but...comfortable? The price puts me off. Too cheap!

Turning to the OP: with my kilts, I wear kilt socks. Very warm. Under suits, I wear opaque hosiery in the 40-50 denier range - but it has to be less than 10c. With skirts....well, I don’t tend to wear them outside, but I’m in much the same opaques as all of my skirts are in the 18 to 22 inch range.
I thought that too. I typically wear L'eggs Sheer Energy Sheer To Waist, my favorite sheer hosiery. These are a bit thicker, more light tights. But so much smoother and softer than usual tights. They really are worth a try!
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

These days (ie colder weather) means 60D tights most of the time. But today I tried black fishnets over 15D tan opaques with a black leather miniskirt.
Went out and posted my Xmas cards a few 100 yards away - temp was 5C. Didn't feel cold but it felt great!
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Primark in UK do 100 den tights. Very good, very warm. £5 for 3 pairs. No need to spend more.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

skirtingtoday wrote:[... T]oday I tried black fishnets over 15D tan opaques with a black leather miniskirt.
Went out and posted my Xmas cards a few 100 yards away - temp was 5C. Didn't feel cold but it felt great!
I'm astonished with the heat-retention capability of fishnets and am still trying to figure it out. My current working hypothesis is that they constrain a boundary-layer of air right next to the skin so it doesn't get disturbed and hence insulates somewhat. I've worn fishnets in the summer thinking that they'd be cool enough because of the area of exposed skin but was rewarded with an unexpected amount of near-overheating. Sheer tights do the same thing, so two layers would logically have an additive effect.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
partlyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by partlyscot »

Mike wrote:
Ray wrote:Mike - I love the shine, but...comfortable? The price puts me off. Too cheap!

I thought that too. I typically wear L'eggs Sheer Energy Sheer To Waist, my favorite sheer hosiery. These are a bit thicker, more light tights. But so much smoother and softer than usual tights. They really are worth a try!
The size quoted seems to small for me, what do you weigh?
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would recommend my knee high normal flat shoe soled zip up boots ...Perhaps knee high socks and
black leggings or black male long johns. Wear the skirt below the knee, plus second skirt or
petticoat,....As the cold increases ...try a female overcoat with hem above skirt hem.
a long scarf keeps the neck warm....................snug as a bug in a rug....
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have only worn tights once this winter...still going for bare legs under my skirts.....A hip length
sweater provides increased warmth in the lower torso region.
I would normally wear 15 dernier.....if one is considering wearing 60 dernier or possibly wooly tights
the leggings or long johns might prove more cost effective with toe wear damage to tights.
Female white ankle socks are dirt cheap in the supermarkets , wear a pair for a couple of days and
then throw them away...........perhaps these sox may solve my toe wear problem if worn under tights.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I love my Thick Kilt Hose worn below the knee with my Traditional Scottish Kilt .
I must be getting old as I suffer with cold bare knees. One of the recognised answers is to
wear a long over coat covering the Knees....
Somewhere on the internet there is a photo of a WW1 Kiltie showing the new recruits his
long sheepskin coat, on issue as part of his winter uniform.