An Autumn Day in Cornwall

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: An Autumn Day in Cornwall

Post by crfriend »

Kirbstone wrote:I took that pic. with a telephoto from Finian's Bay on the mainland which looks straight out at them.
And an absolutely spectacular shot, too, I'll add! Frame that puppy!
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
Kirbstone wrote:I took that pic. with a telephoto from Finian's Bay on the mainland which looks straight out at them.
And an absolutely spectacular shot, too, I'll add! Frame that puppy!
Perhaps this would be an ideal place for a rock festival....
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Ho-ho-ho, Rob!

Rock festivals need a lot of horizontal space, e.g. Glastonbury, Electric Picnic &c., a commodity singularly lacking on that particular rock!
Up the top there at 650 feet among the monastic beehive stone cells is a little rectangular grave plot not excavated, but ultra-sound readings have revealed the remains of some 62 monks packed in there between about 600AD to about 1300AD

Tom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your photos of Great Skellig.......Interesting to note the shape of the Beehives
is similar to the Cornish Roundhouses built before the Roman Invasion...These were built
close to tin panning streams. The roundhouses usually had thatched roofs

A similar type of stone construction and flagged floors
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rob.
The Cornish roundhouses would have pre-dated those on Skellig by hundreds of years. Curious projecting stones on the Skellig cells lead one to speculate that perhaps they too had some form of primitive insulative thatching, of which no trace remains. Out there it is thought it would have been of seaweed.

Tom
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom, Skellig Monastary is certainly built in a position which is well defended from invaders
from the sea.............Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps the Beehive Cells had stone roofs so they were not blown off in the wind
or burnt by invading tribes....
Perhaps the Viking Raiders were too late to fall into this category......Say 400 to 700 A.D.

Certainly an ideal spot for a lookout
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Old Lizard Point. Translated from the Old Celtic Language as the High Place was a summer camp
for the local Celts...It is December now and Winter is with us...The area has turned into a bog.
The rain has settled into the clay on top of the rock strata.....Too many hikers walking the
unfenced grassy coastal path will turn the area into a mud bath.
The National Trust who own the Coastal Footpath will possibly turn out their Shetland Ponies and
Highland Cattle to control this scrub growth.....The Wetlands on the high ground up by the Old Windmill
will still be wet next June. This is on the edge of the WW1 Predannack Airfield used by the
Anti Submarine Airships, and WW11 long range Bomber Command.
Temperature back upto 10. C by day...Plenty of S W wind and rain
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

weeladdie18 wrote:....... This is on the edge of the WW1 Predannack Airfield used by the
Very interesting.
On Google Earth you can see some decaying wrecks of some planes, propeller- and jet-driven. Even an old Canberra bomber with the cockpit a little off center to the left.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

beachlion wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:....... This is on the edge of the WW1 Predannack Airfield used by the
Very interesting.
On Google Earth you can see some decaying wrecks of some planes, propeller- and jet-driven. Even an old Canberra bomber with the cockpit a little off center to the left.
The google reference does indicate that some of the scrapped aircraft are used in crew recovery
rescue training.
If I remember correctly the last of the servicable Sea Kings were flown out of the
Culdrose Air Station in September
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Today is 15 December.......A couple of days ago we had a respite in the weather .
Less wind and slightly warmer .....Enough for me to enjoy being out of doors in just one sweater
and a sports jacket....warm enough to enjoy wandering along the beach on the Helford River
at low tide.....Sunny day ; what I might call "normal Xmas weather ".

This whole Xmas thing is too much for me this year....Xmas cards in the shops in September,
Supermarket Xmas Stock and decorations have now been up for a month.

In the supermarket café I have already had a Christmas Turkey Dinner instead of a Sunday Lunch.
Christmas Turkey Lunch every other day.....
Everyone is going round in their new Xmas Sweaters with Christmas Decorations and Puddings
embroidered into the patterns.

The latest astronomical news is that Sunday 16 December will be the earliest sunset of the year.
This coming Monday the evening sunset will be slightly later.

21 of December will be the Shortest Day....This is all explained by the Earth's elliptical orbit
around the sun and the tilt of the Earth in its orbit.

This useful information is given in the Daily Weather Diary in the Times Newspaper
beside the weather forecast , synoptic chart of weather pressure, and daily forecast outlook
for the next 5 days.................

I feel almost human now , as this is my total news intake for each day...........

No newspapers at home and no T.V.......just glance at weather news in free papers for customers
to read whilst waiting for their supermarket café meals...Many retired folks go to the café every day.

It is sad to realise that I have not worked for money for over twelve years but ladies 61 years old
are still driving 20 miles to work part time in a job which pays the minimum wage...........
That is the way things are in Cornwall these days...........

It is hard to believe that those with kids living on social security can afford to pay
£1000 per month rent to live in home like mine....I started work on £ 2.5 PER WEEK for 42 hours
per week . On the old industrial tradesmans rate in my working life, the working week has decreased
by only 5 hours per week..This usually gives a working week of four 10 hour days plus 2
hours per day travelling time.

I thought I had good reason to gee up the sales man at the local garage ....He offered me a two year
old pickup truck for two years current income.............

I worked out how I could afford a Black, 5 passenger carrying truck with a tilt with all round windows
in the tilt and a 4ft x 4 ft carrying area with a ton loading on the back axle................

Go for it...Two trips per day to join a funeral cortage and carry five mourners and a ton of
live family dogs to pay their respects to a lost family member at a grave yard funeral burial service

Average cost for a funeral is now £ 10,000............... A limousine probably costs a £100 to £200 P.H.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Force 11 here practically all day with some pretty nasty driving rain. Drove 70 mi.and 70 back to visit one daughter. Notices all over the place warning of surface water. Uneventful except for an advance notice of a 'collision' at J 9 on our M11, S.of Dublin. When we got up to it some guy? had done a 'bar of soap' and ended up jammed against the central barrier with both ends of his motor totalled. Single vehicle taking chances.

Not quite Cornwall, but some good things are happening just over the border near Plymouth. Yesterday my elder daughter took delivery of her long-awaited new Celtic Harp. A masterpiece crafted out of a dead yew tree on her local Maristow Estate. She's determined to bring it over to us in Jan. for our Golden Wedding party. What she needs now is a promotional pic. of herself plucking it on the chancel steps of some cathedral.

Tom
Nulie's new Harp 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Curiosity is awaiting the cat - wonder what happens when I strike (pluck) this chord
and they think my meow is way out of pitch !

***** Beautiful piece of craftsmanship *****
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The family harp looks the cats whiskers...what is the modern material for harp strings ?
Nylon , Wire wound or steel.....should be a deep bass with the long strings ...How many octaves ?

Used to jam bottle neck blues guitar...D.A.D.G.A.D. with a brass sleeve on the little finger,
changed from acoustic to electric with attenuator and a maze of boxes pumped into a Fender Valve Amplifier
Electric music was enough to make my hair stand on end.....One evening I played with an ethnic
minority blues harp musician who had been playing harmonica on the road for
over twenty years....

One of our local musicians play an electric tea chest bass....he was in a dance band on the cruise liners.

It strange that I stopped playing after my mother died ,back in 2005.......
The story goes that she went in for eye surgery and came out of treatment with her sight
partially restricted due to bandages and heard a harp, and thought she
gone to meet her creator......Eventually she found the musician.....busking in the street.....
He was on tour with an orchestra and the daily practice session was carried out in the nearest
open space.....my mother lived to tell the tale...I trust you will pardon me Tom........
It was suggested that it was the Irish Blood in Her Veins..................Rod..........
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Bad weather , floods, rain , Russian ship aground at Falmouth....I went out in a skirt and leggings , An elderly couple congratulated me
on wearing the Kilt...The Gentleman knew it was not a tartan he recognised .I told him of a very rare tartan I wear. He was sure
he would recognise that one..........You guessed correctly It was a blue sunray pleated skirt ,with the hem just above my Boot tops.
I reminded him that my Kilt was just a bit of local colour..................................

10 police officers sat down at the next Table..... one charming lady bringing out ten plated meals , two at a time.....

I repeated this story to another Lady who liked a bit of clean banter....I suggested that if a Lady could serve 10 policemen ;
this is the festive season , why could she not spare a copper for a friend ?..........................L.O.L.

The two female audience for this story were standing at the front desk of the National Maritime Museum at this time L.O.L.

One has to be street wise to successfully wear a skirt....