Can a skirt ever look masculine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Can a skirt ever look masculine

Post by Sinned »

The look is fine. The skirt is fine, neutral and uncontroversial and the boots look good. That's the plus points. The minuses. The top is a bit dated and could do with something a bit more modern. Not sure about the leg warmers either. I thought they went out of date 20 years ago. The hand-on-hip pose, though, is a no, no. My first reaction was effeminate. Just sayin'.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
algie

Post by algie »

Sinned wrote:The look is fine. The skirt is fine, neutral and uncontroversial and the boots look good. That's the plus points. The minuses. The top is a bit dated and could do with something a bit more modern. Not sure about the leg warmers either. I thought they went out of date 20 years ago. The hand-on-hip pose, though, is a no, no. My first reaction was effeminate. Just sayin'.
Thanks for the honest critique

I’m still trying to find my path on this crazy road

Algie.
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

john62 wrote:Looks good, personally I would have the sweater longer.
Me too, and the sleeves, but both are fine too; it's just a personal preference. Good job.
Daryl...
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I'm just going to shoot straight. There's nothing wrong with the look (though it's not exactly my style)

But I wouldn't say it's masculine. Also, understand that many of us here are writing our own rules as to what's masculine or not. But if you want my honest opinion, I don't think it looks masculine at all. I wouldn't say it's over the top "feminine" either, it's just somewhere in the middle. But let's just face it... how many men do you see wearing such an outfit (or similar)? How many women?

There's probably only one truly "masculine" skirt, and that's the kilt.

Again, there's nothing wrong with the outfit, but if I were you, and I was going to make non-kilted skirts part of my everyday wear, I think I'd jettison the "masculine baggage". Please understand, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, and I'm also not saying you have to wear lace trimmed floral numbers with puffy blouses and a bow in your hair. I'm just saying, find a style that YOU like, wear it, and don't worry about what those out and about might say.

If you go around worrying if you're "masculine" enough to be seen in public, the lack of confidence will eat at you and will draw negative feedback.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...If you go around worrying if you're "masculine" enough to be seen in public, the lack of confidence will eat at you and will draw negative feedback.
Indeed.

So few men wear skirts that there are really no men-in-skirts rules.

Even though lace, sheers, ruffles, and florals, and pink do seem more feminine, and darker solids do seem more masculine. Sometimes.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

moonshadow wrote:If you go around worrying if you're "masculine" enough to be seen in public, the lack of confidence will eat at you and will draw negative feedback.
Well, considering something deeply isn't always "worrying" in the sense of being afraid of something. One can "worry" something just because one wants to hit a particular note, and whether we like it or not the impression we make on other people's retinas are not entirely inconsequential to us.

I recall a hymn/chanting group I was with once. There were, over time, a few people who had developed their own way of being in harmony with everyone else while still not adhering to the exact same melody. Think of that as a metaphor for men expanding their expressive and aesthetic territory. The object isn't always to just be different for its own sake, or to do whatever the heck we want regardless of others. Most often the object is to fit in with the world around us while at the same time being our unique selves, like those whose voices harmonised with the larger group from somewhere outside of the main melody.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Caultron wrote:So few men wear skirts that there are really no men-in-skirts rules.
Nature abhors a vacuum.

Trite truisms are truly tempting at times. Alliteration is always abit annoying.

Since there are no men-in-skirts rules yet, I feel empowered to make some. Moses-style.

1. No microminiskirts.
2. No coveting thy female fellows' curves.
3. No slits up to the mid-thigh or higher (unless salsa dancing).
4. No see-through (wear a slip at least, you tramp).
5. No thigh-holsters under pencil skirts.
6. No hobble skirts on construction sites.
7. No hairy legs under sheer leggings.
8. No stupid prints.
9. No fake zippers.
10. No climbing ladders in short skirts with petticoats.
Daryl...
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Daryl wrote:
Caultron wrote:So few men wear skirts that there are really no men-in-skirts rules.
Nature abhors a vacuum.

Trite truisms are truly tempting at times. Alliteration is always abit annoying.

Since there are no men-in-skirts rules yet, I feel empowered to make some. Moses-style.

1. No microminiskirts.
2. No coveting thy female fellows' curves.
3. No slits up to the mid-thigh or higher (unless salsa dancing).
4. No see-through (wear a slip at least, you tramp).
5. No thigh-holsters under pencil skirts.
6. No hobble skirts on construction sites.
7. No hairy legs under sheer leggings.
8. No stupid prints.
9. No fake zippers.
10. No climbing ladders in short skirts with petticoats.
ADD:
11. addendum to rule #1 - skirt hem length must be longer than fingertips arms at side.
12. Display your own curves with random abandon - flaunt it if you have it.
13. Bright Contrasting colors must be worn on the outside of the clothing not as undergear.
14. Footwear should compliment skirted wear - no boots made just for the runway.
15. No pockets - everyday essential items carried in a clutch or cross body bag * exemption for utility skirts.
16. addendum to rule #6 - no high heels on construction site.
17. Tops should be either totally tucked in (onesie) or free at the waist - no half ass mix & match.
18. Complimentary colors OK - beware of sheer pastels and back lighting.
19. Zippers if any should be of the hidden type - creating that how did you get into that outfit ?
20. Be careful bending over and reaching - your limits will or maybe on display.

None of these taken seriously - HOWEVER - the People of Wal*Mart are always looking for recruits !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
pelmut
Member Extraordinaire

Post by pelmut »

r.m.anderson wrote: 15. No pockets - everyday essential items carried in a clutch or cross body bag * exemption for utility skirts.
I don't know where I would be without my pockets, I put them in every skirt I make and add them to every charity shop skirt I buy.  If they are located just below the hip and not over-filled, they are fairly unobtrusive on any but the shortest skirts.
There is no such thing as a normal person, only someone you don't know very well yet.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

I feel that the origins of the "pocket" question must be lost in the mists of time.
Could it actually be the most discussed aspect of our esteemed community?
I seem to remember it for as long as I have frequented the Café.
Indeed, is a Pocket the ultimate answer to the skirt, masculinity and everything?
Steve.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

STEVIE wrote: Indeed, is a Pocket the ultimate answer to the skirt, masculinity and everything?
Steve.
Absolutely! I do like to have my knife and handkerchief with me at all times. Even at a nudist resort, I have them in a little pouch on a belt. A pocket is easier.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Well, that's me breaking the rules since most of my skirts are above the knee and some that I just ear in the house could very nearly be called belts and are certainly microminis. And what about SD amd denimini to name just two?
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I feel that making rules is futile. ....We all wear our skirt outfits to our own guidelines.
I tend to wear male outfits and try to replace my trousers with a skirt.
However I have many skirts so it is easy to do a quick fix by just changing my skirt ,or
by wearing two skirts ......
I find that wearing a male jacket with pockets solves the junk carrying problem.

By looking masculine one can wear a skirt which does not detract from the masculine look.
I feel I have proved this point by wearing summer skirts which look masculine with my
male clothes.......The maxim is just do it...no-one really cares what you wear.

If you go out looking like a big girl , folks will laugh at you.
The secret is not to be a man who appears as a woman..................
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words. This is my take on masculine in a skirt. A lot of it is attitude. If you project a masculine attitude the skirt and the other items of clothing will appear masculine. Just my opinion and after many year of doing this, experience.
Dick-12-1-E-web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Now that is a great looking outfit worn with the right amount of attitude. Nothing Femme about it at all.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.