Jealous

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
bridkid

Jealous

Post by bridkid »

Jealousy is not something I usually suffer from. However, reading posts from members in warmer climes, and those just starting their summer are making me very jealous!

Here in the UK, as we descend into another miserable winter, my skirts are staying in the wardrobe for the foreseeable future, at least until april/may next year...

So you guys enjoy your skirting, while I'm stuck in bloody trousers :( :( :( .
If it aint Yorkshire, it's crap!
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Jealous

Post by r.m.anderson »

You can still wear them skirts or the alike while inside your dwelling.
Maybe you need to go out to get the mail - you should be able to
tolerate that short an excursion. Get into the habit (no not that
habit!) of wearing the skirt dress as everyday wear and it will be
a heck of lot easier each time in the future. No sense in starting the
wearing getting adjusted period all over - make it second nature to
wear the skirt everyday even if only briefly !
On another note if you park those skirts in the closet and then don't
watch yourself over the winter you may find that they don't fit right
anymore - diet and exercise keeping in skirted shape !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Thermal Tights?

Post by shadowfax »

bridkid wrote:Jealousy is not something I usually suffer from. However, reading posts from members in warmer climes, and those just starting their summer are making me very jealous!

Here in the UK, as we descend into another miserable winter, my skirts are staying in the wardrobe for the foreseeable future, at least until april/may next year...

Thermal Tights? :wink: :)
Here's a link to Marks & Spencer's range of thermal tights, for example.
A half-slip under your skirt would also add some extra warmth. M&S sell those too.

IMHO There's no need to put your skirts away until spring. I won't be putting mine away. :)
As I've walked through town, here in the UK, this and previous winters, I've noticed lots of women wearing skirts. :wink: :)
Last edited by shadowfax on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

bridkid wrote:Here in the UK, as we descend into another miserable winter, my skirts are staying in the wardrobe for the foreseeable future, at least until april/may next year...
That's sad -- and entirely unnecessary. Skirts can be comfortably worn in winter weather -- and winter weather that makes the UK look balmy by comparison. I have skirt rigs that I wear quite comfortably in temperatures down to about -5 F (-20 C). Sure those aren't flippy little miniskirts, they're heavy ones usually worn with tights and a petticoat, but they're skirts. Just adapt your style to the prevailing conditions.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Wesley

Post by Wesley »

I agree, I have worn a skirt in extreme cold conditions, and I actually find skirts warmer and more practical than trousers in the winter. Like any article of clothing, one just ahs to select the right style and fabric for the weather conditions.
denimini
Member Extraordinaire

Post by denimini »

I understand your situation.
I too am a fairweather skirt wearer and thankfully warm weather is through the majority of the year, here. Then there comes the day when it is just too cold for a skirt and one feels forced into pants, making their presence felt at all junctions, with material dragging against the skin to handicap free movement and making every action seem an effort.
Sorry. Soon winter will pass and the feeling of putting on the first skirt for the season seems to overwhelm what nature has to offer for a celebration of spring.
Anthony, a denim miniskirt wearer in Outback Australia
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

bridkid wrote:Jealousy is not something I usually suffer from. However, reading posts from members in warmer climes, and those just starting their summer are making me very jealous!

I expect it's even colder here. The mid-thigh length skirts are put away. I recently went to the thrift store and picked up a few ankle-length skirts. With knee-high or longer warm socks they work great outside. Skirts are easily layered and easy to take layers off.
kingfish
Member Extraordinaire

Post by kingfish »

Skirts, especially long ones, can be like mittens for the legs. Last year, whilst waiting in the sub-freezing cold on "black friday" to get that 50% off big-screen, I wound up doing a sarong style wrap with a quilted stadium blanket I keep in the car. I went from freezing to comfortable in pretty short order.

I've been window-shopping this class of skirt for quite some time and this thread looks like a relevant place to share it:
https://www.skhoop.us/collections/synth ... =721293307
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Bridkid,
I live in the frozen wastes of North East Scotland and I haven't been outdoors in trousers for years.
Decent tights and footwear are the key items to staying warm and comfortable.
Besides, generally speaking, the British climate is mostly boring.
By comparison to some areas we do not wish it to get too interesting.
Right now I am looking at a bright dry day.
My beef is that I cannot be outside enjoying it.

Steve.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Since I did away with almost all of my trousers I am forced to wear skirts during the winter months here in the "Sunny South" With temps already at 21 F in the mornings it sure is nice to put on my thigh or ankle length heavy skirts and add heavy knee highs socks and go about my business.

I do not stop wearing skirts just because the seasons change I wear them all year long.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I have bought a skhoop "Mini" that is fantastic. It has zips on the side and actually can be completely unzipped to take it off. It also has nice pockets. It is real down and looks great. I can wear it anywhere. It is also very warm, even though it only covers to just above the knee. it is amazing how warm you can be if your thighs are covered in a down skirt. BTW I bought it "used" on Poshmark by giving a lowball offer, and it was really only gently used. I think they call them "Snow Skirts"

Next time I wear it I will try and take a picture.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I hate cold weather and lately we have seen extremes here. It has been as low as 16 degrees fahrenheit at night with swings in the daytime from 32 to 60. I am ready to move. Cold weather is the devil. Let's start a skirt village somewhere warm!
rivegauche
Member Extraordinaire

Post by rivegauche »

I'm even further north than Stevie. Wear a long (overlapping boots), warm skirt, opaque tights and boots and you are sorted. Lovely and toastie.
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

An Australian close friend who lives in Melbourne recently asked me what do the Irish think of all this Global Warming business. I replied that we think we haven't had enough of it yet, as it remains damp and cold here for approximately 364.5 days each year,

So don't contemplate founding your skirted village here. Try the Bahamas or the Caribbean islands for starters. The Pacific ones are too far away.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Kirbstone wrote:An Australian close friend who lives in Melbourne recently asked me what do the Irish think of all this Global Warming business. I replied that we think we haven't had enough of it yet, as it remains damp and cold here for approximately 364.5 days each year,

So don't contemplate founding your skirted village here. Try the Bahamas or the Caribbean islands for starters. The Pacific ones are too far away.

Tom
Just make sure the island that you pick has some elevation to escape to or you are building a better Noah's Ark !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !