I Finally Did It... My 1st Time Out in a Skirt

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
SEPADave

I Finally Did It... My 1st Time Out in a Skirt

Post by SEPADave »

Since joining this site, reading all of your updates daily and reviewing your positive words of encouragement and your own personal success stories, I finally mustered the courage and went out into public last night in a skirt.

Center City Philadelphia had the Christmas Tree Lighting ceremonies last night. I thought to myself, what a better time to go out in my skirt and "blend in" with the masses. My heart was racing, as I'm sure many of you can relate to your first outing, as I walked out my front door and headed to my truck. Once safely inside my vehicle, my heart rate returned to normal.

I drove into the city and arrived there around 5:15pm. By this time, it was darker outside and my confidence grew a bit. I parked in an open air lot and was instructed where to park. I backed my vehicle into the appointed spot and sat there for a moment. I was now about to exit the security of my vehicle and step out into the open world for the first time wearing a skirt. My heart began to race again as I opened the door of my truck and I boldly stepped out into the parking lot. I walked over to the lot attendant to surrender my vehicle keys in exchange for my lot ticket. The attendant took my keys and handed me my ticket as he has done so many times in the past. Not a single stare, strange look or comment came my way from the attendant in regards to my attire. I was grateful for same as this first positive interaction gave me the confidence I needed to proceed forward with my plans.

As I walked the six city blocks to city hall, I kept looking at the faces of the masses as they approached me. To my relief, not a single comment was made. I did get a couple of "double takes" as a few people looked at my skirt, then at my face then back to my skirt. But not a single comment. I guess in the larger cities, such as Philly, where so many different cultures and styles exist, a man walking down the busy streets in a skirt is no different to the masses as say the girl with the bright pink spiked hair or the guys with the ripped jeans, knee high leather boots and leather jackets. By the time I reached City Hall, I all but almost forgot what I was wearing.

Once at City Hall, where hundreds of people gathered for the lighting of the City Christmas Tree, I felt like I did any other day in the city. I even spent time across the street from city hall spending time in Love Park which has been converted to Christmas Village. There were over 100 vendors set up there selling all kinds of crafts and gifts for the holidays. I spoke with many of the vendors and engaged with many of other partitions while looking over the options available for sale.

My confidence now as strong as ever, I ventured into Macy's and looked around the store for other gift options. Again, no comments ever made but a few double takes were noticed. It was now near 8pm, so I decided to stop for a cocktail before leaving the city. I walked into a local bar and took a seat. I felt the eyes of some looking my way but never once felt as if I were in danger. I had conversation with the bar tender and a couple of gents sitting to my right. Again, no comments ever made in regards to my attire.

As I returned home around 9:15pm, I was walking to my condo when a neighbor of mine exited the building with her dog. We spoke briefly in regards to the weather and local events. She never once gave me a double take or questioned my attire, as I know there is no way she could have mistaken my skirt for a pair of pants or jeans.

All in all, I had a great "First Time" out in public experience. I loved the feeling of wearing a skirt outside the walls of my home, the air movement under the skirt and the sense of freedom that comes with wearing a skirt. I want to thank everyone here who have shared the past and current experiences, for without reading your stories, I'm sure I would have never had the confidence to venture out and create my very own experience. Thank you all....
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Re: I Finally Did It... My 1st Time Out in a Skirt

Post by shadowfax »

Very well done. I'm pleased for you.
:thewave:

oldsalt1 will want to know whether you ate a cheese steak whilst you were out in your skirt, last night. :wink: :)
Last edited by shadowfax on Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoomagic
Member Extraordinaire

Post by voodoomagic »

SEPADave congrats on your successful adventure! Hope to hear more of your adventures.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

That's excellent news, Dave. Congratulations! it only gets easier from there.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

shadowfax wrote:Very well done. I'm pleased for you.
:thewave:

oldsalt1 will want to know whether you ate a cheese steak whilst you were out in your skirt, last night. :wink: :)
Still haven't made my trip to Pats Trying to drum up support for the trip Waiting to hear from Jeff and now SEPA DAVE if we can put something together and anybody else in the area
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

Good job, Dave. It will be much easier next time.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

Congratulations! The first step is always the hardest. I can relate to having your heart pound as you step out of your vehicle. It is also a very exhilarating experience. This must be how women felt when they first started wearing pants.
Last edited by Freedomforall on Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Dave: Great job. It only gets easier from here.
renesm1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by renesm1 »

Well done! It can only get easier after this!

Keep skirting!
Please visit http://www.absolutegadget.com for the latest gadgets and games news and reviews
skirtingtoday
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtoday »

Great news Dave!

The first time is the hardest - I know I chickened out several times before I first ventured out skirted, and that was at a petrol (ie gas) station! Glad I did though :D

What skirt were you wearing? Colour, length style?
"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on" - Winston Churchill.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it" - Joseph Goebbels
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

SEPADave wrote:Since joining this site, reading all of your updates daily and reviewing your positive words of encouragement and your own personal success stories, I finally mustered the courage and went out into public last night in a skirt.
Congratulations, SEPADave! It seems you had quite an outing and certainly enjoyed the anonymity of a crowd.
SEPADave wrote:As I walked the six city blocks to city hall, I kept looking at the faces of the masses as they approached me. To my relief, not a single comment was made. I did get a couple of "double takes" as a few people looked at my skirt, then at my face then back to my skirt. But not a single comment. I guess in the larger cities, such as Philly, where so many different cultures and styles exist, a man walking down the busy streets in a skirt is no different to the masses as say the girl with the bright pink spiked hair or the guys with the ripped jeans, knee high leather boots and leather jackets. By the time I reached City Hall, I all but almost forgot what I was wearing..
This is certainly true. People dress in a huge variety of ways, sometimes for practicality, sometimes to gain attention, sometimes simply to express themselves. There's so much variety in what they wear that a man wearing a skirt just blends in as one more person dressing for fun.

As to the occasional surprised glances, double-takes, and frowns, yes, you're going to get a few of those. But you can get the same reactions wearing many different kinds of expressive clothing and it's all OK. If you don't act as if there's anything wrong, neither will anyone else.

Congratulations again!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Hi Dave,
Well done from me too. I hope you are planning a next time.
Your neighbour and others' lack of reaction is typical in reality. Most folks don't care.
It is also a good indicator that you were comfortable in your chosen attire.
Share that when you fell ready.
Steve.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Well done. Like the others said, it is getting better and better until it is a daily routine. Then it is not if you would put on a skirt but which one.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Hi Dave,

Welcome to the "I've worn a skirt in public crowd". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know you feel great and you should. I wear my skirts all of the time and do not wear pants anymore. You should try to get in touch with JeffB He lives in Philly too and goes to the King of Prussia Mall a lot wearing skirts and dresses. He can be found at http://www.skirtcafe.org/forums/memberl ... ile&u=1482.
Send Him a PM and see if he would like to meet you at the mall for coffee sometime.
Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

As to the occasional surprised glances, double-takes, and frowns, yes, you're going to get a few of those. But you can get the same reactions wearing many different kinds of expressive clothing and it's all OK. If you don't act as if there's anything wrong, neither will anyone else.
I have a heated vest that I wear to keep warm. It has a lighted switch that is very visible. I get the same looks wearing it as I get when wearing a skirt.