Abbreviations you may not know

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Uncle Al

Abbreviations you may not know

Post by Uncle Al »

Here are some acronyms that that are in use,
but may not be understood by everyone - - - -
Text Speak Abreviations 2018-11-20.jpg
Uncle Al
:mrgreen: :ugeek: :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kilted Organist/Musician
Grand Musician of the Grand Lodge, I.O.O.F. of Texas 2008-2009, 2015-2016,
2018-202 ? (and the beat goes on ;) )
When asked 'Why the Kilt?'
I respond-The why is F.T.H.O.I. (For The H--- Of It)
Mike
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Abbreviations you may not know

Post by Mike »

TANS
That's a nice skirt.
Mike

Who the hell is 'society' anyway?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

MGTI.

(My God, that's Inane)
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
6ft3Aussie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by 6ft3Aussie »

FCOL..... For Crying Out Loud!!!

None of those existed when I was at school......
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

JFDI - Just F*ck*ng Do It. An essential acronym when I was in computer support and something had failed. In such a situation, forget about planning and rules, just dive in, diagnose, fix it and worry about the paperwork later, often MUCH later. I actually have a black baseball cap with JFDI in white on the front.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

Where are the days you had to learn to write in elementary school as if you were to become a calligrapher? It did not work for me, after 6 years my handwriting stayed bad. But you also had to learn to write little stories and essays. I think I'm too old to learn that newspeak with those abbrevations. It is a PITA.
NL-UtHUA_0711_00_00013_000_000209q.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Ah something about the Monks and their manuscripts - the Scribes and the scriptures - alas the cuneiform concept has been tossed with the QWERTY fonts
and these abominable short cut abbreviations to the nth degree !
We still have a failure to communicate - something about that Towel of Babel meeting the romance languages !

You all have a nice Happy BIRD day !
Maybe not so nice for that BIRD !
For those that don't have the BIRD day whatever serves the local fare.

Give thanks that I am leaving stage left - where ever that leads to - - -

ROFLOL - rolling on the floor and you know what LOL means.

And as I am leaving don't stop me from TEXT messages 101 -
perhaps it is the last frontier in communication as we know it !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

An e-Moral

An unemployed man goes to apply for a job with Microsoft as a janitor. The manager there arranges for him to take an aptitude test (Section: Floors, sweeping and cleaning).

After the test, the manager says, “You will be employed at minimum wage, $5.15 an hour. Let me have your e-mail address, so that I can send you a form to complete and tell you where to report for work on your first day.

Taken aback, the man protests that he has neither a computer nor an e-mail address. To this the MS manager replies, “Well, then, that means that you virtually don’t exist and can therefore hardly expect to be employed.

Stunned, the man leaves. Not knowing where to turn and having only $10 in his wallet, he decides to buy a 25 lb flat of tomatoes at the supermarket. Within less than 2 hours, he sells all the tomatoes individually at 100% profit. Repeating the process several times more that day, he ends up with almost $100 before going to sleep that night.

And thus it dawns on him that he could quite easily make a living selling tomatoes. Getting up early every day and going to bed late, he multiplies his profits quickly.

After a short time he acquires a cart to transport several dozen boxes of tomatoes, only to have to trade it in again so that he can buy a pickup truck to support his expanding business. By the end of the second year, he is the owner of a fleet of pickup trucks and manages a staff of a hundred former unemployed people, all selling tomatoes.

Planning for the future of his wife and children, he decides to buy some life insurance. Consulting with an insurance adviser, he picks an insurance plan to fit his new circumstances. At the end of the telephone conversation, the adviser asks him for his e-mail address in order to send the final documents electronically.

When the man replies that he has no e-mail, the adviser is stunned, “What, you don’t have e-mail? How on earth have you managed to amass such wealth without the Internet, e-mail and e-commerce? Just imagine where you would be now, if you had been connected to the internet from the very start!”

After a moment of thought, the tomato millionaire replied, “Why, of course! I would be a floor cleaner at Microsoft!”

Moral of this story:

The Internet, e-mail and e-commerce do not need to rule your life.
If you don’t have e-mail, but work hard, you can still become a millionaire.
Since you got this story via e-mail, you’re probably closer to becoming a janitor than you are to becoming a millionaire.
If you do have a computer and e-mail, you have already been taken to the cleaners by Microsoft.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Big and Bashful
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Big and Bashful »

FFS!

Not going to spell that one out, I would get censored!

If anyone sends me a test, message or email and uses any of this "TXTSPK", I just bin the message without reading it, same goes for the curse of emojis. If they can't be bothered expressing themselves via the gift of words, they aren't worth listening to or erm reading from (that doesn't work does it? LOL (Sorry!))

SWALK
I am the God of Hellfire! and I bring you truffles!
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

An acronym that I'm surprised hasn't cropped up here - TTIUWP :-)

I'm glad to see that we don't get the likes of TL;DR on this site (bad forum etiquette).

In the IT world (where acronyms, particularly TLA's abound), RTFM and NMFP are much used (and then I go on to give a couple of examples that are not TLA's :ugeek: ). Both contain profanities so you will have to do a bit of Google searching if you do not know what they stand for and want to find out :-) It is the 'F' that is the problem in most of these examples. On that note, a friend back in the UK used to do a lot of hiring (and firing) at the foundry where he worked. Many job applications were marked UFL - an example of an acronym combined with tmesis to indicate that the applicant, on this occasion, had been unlucky in their job search.

NFN (Normal for Norfolk) can be seen as a derogatory acronym - but apparently it has been used for real in years gone by. Here is a bit of history.

TTFN