Wearing a Skirt to Church

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Skirt to Church

Post by weeladdie18 »

one of my skirts has two box pleats....one either side of the central rear seam.
There is less restriction with the longer male stride.
A " normal " or below the knee length is less restrictive than a " Long " or calf length skirt.

It is interesting to experiment with these variations in skirt design. ...........weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

beachlion wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:....... Did you know that a pencil skirt tapers inwards from the hip to the hem ?
A straight skirt is parallel from hip to hem. .......
I recently made a skirt that was straight from the hips down to the hem. I made side splits of 4" (10 cm) for ease of movements. Even with the splits, it is getting a little tight getting in or out of a car. I need some concentration. ;)

I plan to make a second skirt along those lines. I will taper it slightly down- and inwards and make a box pleat in the back.

Generally speaking, the female hip measurement is pro-rata larger than the male; relative to the
waist measurement. ......If the skirt was parallel from the hip to the hem.......in my case
the hem measurement would be smaller than the female skirt hem measurement.

The simple solution for the male or female is to raise the hem to the knee when alighting from
an automobile.

I have also stated somewhere that the male walking stride is longer than the female stride.
.....I have one new skirt in a stretchy material... hem below the knee ....when I walk with a male
stride, the hem rises above my knees.......The male has to observe the female in her skirts
to see how she manually adjusts the setting of her attire....... ........weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have been talking for a long time about going to mass in a skirt. I usually go to mass 2 times a week , For the weekday mass most of the time I wear a skirt . But I never wore a skirt on Sunday.

Its Sunday I went to early mass this morning and I just got home from church
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Its Sunday I went to early mass this morning and I just got home from church
Bravo, Dan! You finally took that hill. How was the view from the top?
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Dick Ackerman
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dick Ackerman »

Good for you Dan.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Glad you finally took the plunge and wore a skirt to mass. Now try High Mass at 11AM.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Hello Weeladdie18,

As far as getting in and out of an automobile is concerned, like everything else these days, there's a YouTube video on that. Somewhere in our archives there is a link to that video. It was made by a cute and charming young British "bird." I probably watched it a couple extra times just to watch and listen to her!

Anyway, the technique is pretty straightforward. To get into your car:
1. Open the car door.
2. Get as close as possible to your car, turn around so you are facing away from the interior.
3. Put your knees together and pull your skirt semi-taut across your … bum as our very charming instructor would say.
4. Sit down.
5. While keeping your knees together, turn your body 90 degrees so your legs also get into the car.
6. Shut the door or have someone who is doing the gentlemanly thing for you, shut it.

Any other process, and especially the male procedure, will probably give anyone near you a panoramic view of your underwear.

Interestingly, Ginger, my dearly beloved Miata, won't let me get in any other way. While I'm built as close to the ground as you are Weeladdie, it's well nigh impossible to get into that car without doing the sit & twist!

Hello Oldsalt1,

Congratulations on passing that milepost that has been such a challenge for you! We all have our own hang-ups and boundaries; good for you that you faced and took down one of your own.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well done , Old Salt.

Perhaps the way for me to get in and out of my Automobile in a tight skirt .......
is to cover my activities with smoke flares....... ..... L.O.L... ........ weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

As far as getting out of a car is concerned . What is there to worry about Face facts We men, now and in our youth, are the only ones who looked at ...ladies... getting out of a car hoping to catch a view.

If a car pulled up and a man was driving we would ignore it. Except for possibly in say a valet parking situation.... NOBODY …..is looking :lol: :lol: :lol:
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

oldsalt1 wrote:If a car pulled up and a man was driving we would ignore it. Except for possibly in say a valet parking situation.... NOBODY …..is looking :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you are correct, that we would ignore it, however, I would still be interested that I saw someone other than myself wearing a skirt, something that has happened infrequently.

One time from this past year, I still gave privacy, meaning i did not make a big deal other that the wave (after a 5k run, I was also wearing a simple green kilt, but he was in a red one with the full scottish look including hat, shirt, sash, sporran and sock blazes.).

By the way Old Salt, nice look, happy for you crossing a milestone.