Old Advertizing

Non-fashion, non-skirt, non-gender discussions. If your post is related to fashion, skirts or gender, please choose one of the forums above for it.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Old Advertizing

Post by Fred in Skirts »

These were the normal ads for the period. Scares me so that I wonder how we managed to survive.
ad1.jpg
ad2.jpg
ad3.jpg
ad4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Old Advertizing

Post by Fred in Skirts »

More ads....
ad5.jpg
ad6.jpg
ad7.jpg
ad8.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

These are damn scary. I hope at least a few are jokes (Dehydrated Water)

What is Dehydrated Water?
Well, dehydrated water is actually not a hoax, although the website Museum of Hoaxes has an article about them (which acknowledges the joke). These cans of dehydrated water are actually empty tin cans made by a real food company, Bernard Food Industries, who began making the cans in 1964.
Last edited by lazerr on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

And the last three....
ad9.jpg
ad10.jpg
ad11.jpg
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

lazerr wrote:These are damn scary. I hope at least a few are jokes (Dehydrated Water)
No these were actual ads placed in your news paper and magazines of the time. Most of these were in the 20's and early 40's. And they were real products. There weren't very many truth in advertising laws then.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

These made my day. Thank you for posting. It's peculiar how advertising can make things appear ao normal and acceptable. Of course there are many other adjectives one could utilize as well to describe advertising for sheeple.
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

I can hear an ad now. The ad would be for asbestos pie and would go something like this.

"When you need to satisfy your sweet tooth craving reach for a slice of asbestos pie. It's just like mom used to make with all the goodness of home in a convenient frozen package at a store near you. Asbestos pie, it's deliciously tasty and deceptively deadly"
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

My grandfather said to distrust all advertising. A good product needs no advertising, the news will spread by itself. Every advertisement is a lie by definition he said. So with this form of brainwashing I'm used to skip all advertisement in newspapers or magazines. If I need something I will do my research and go from there.

I think the rules or laws about advertising are (and were) much stricter in Europe, certainly now. If you state something, you have to proof or deliver it, of course within reason as in the case of obvious typos.

But seen as historic items, they are interesting and funny.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Freedomforall wrote:Asbestos pie, it's deliciously tasty and deceptively deadly"
Actually, possibly not if ingested into the digestive system where it'd mostly pass as fibre and get excreted.

Where it's a problem is when it gets into the lungs and cannot be removed. What's not talked about is that most fibrous bits can cause similar symptoms as asbestos over time -- including fibre-glass (although that's less likely to get inhaled as the fibres tend to be longer).

So much worry, so much hype, so much profit to be made...

The last place I lived in had asbestos lagging on all the steam pipes. The basement leaked like a sieve and was always moist (thus suppressing dust). I took the step of entombing the asbestos in place by applying a few layers of plastic wrap over it thus immobilising it fairly permanently. Not. A. Problem.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
Freedomforall
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Freedomforall »

crfriend wrote:
Freedomforall wrote:Asbestos pie, it's deliciously tasty and deceptively deadly"
Actually, possibly not if ingested into the digestive system where it'd mostly pass as fibre and get excreted.

Where it's a problem is when it gets into the lungs and cannot be removed. What's not talked about is that most fibrous bits can cause similar symptoms as asbestos over time -- including fibre-glass (although that's less likely to get inhaled as the fibres tend to be longer).

So much worry, so much hype, so much profit to be made...

The last place I lived in had asbestos lagging on all the steam pipes. The basement leaked like a sieve and was always moist (thus suppressing dust). I took the step of entombing the asbestos in place by applying a few layers of plastic wrap over it thus immobilising it fairly permanently. Not. A. Problem.
Carl that would certainly add a new spin to the term, "__it a brick"!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Hey I like butter just as much as the next guy, but I can't imagine just eating a block of it....

As for the asbestos, I've been into it a time or two, working in old houses. They say that once it's in you, the damage is pretty much done, so I figure, no since in worrying about it now.

Gotta die of something...

I was also raised up on unfiltered well water. Ironically, probably better for us than the fluoride they dump in the tap water...
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

When I was little my great-gran used to make me a couple of door stops of unsliced bread thick with real butter and topped with a generous layer of strawberry and reaspberry jam. Delicious. Apparently during the WW2 years a staple was bread and dripping. But then kids were a lot more active then. Even I spent more hours out playing than in the house. And I have never been vastly overweight.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.