A Modern Style of Tunic or Robe

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Modern Style of Tunic or Robe

Post by weeladdie18 »

Going back to the Caftan Thread by Ron......one of the photos shows a shorter belted Tunic.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am now suggesting an above the knee Roman Style Tunic.....very flared and full at the
above or below the Knee hem....Bit like a full skater skirt or a circle skirt.

Perhaps another design would be to make the pattern to a circle skirt style from the shoulders and belt the garment at the waist......This way the geometry would produce a very full hem at the knee.
A long and free hem....With the circle skirt generated from the shoulders, to the knee , the circumference of the hem would be extremely long, possibly 12 to 15 feet. This would be like the hem
of the Traditional Kilt without any pressed pleats......An interesting shape for a sleeveless tunic.

Some of the material may have to be cut away from the Body of the garment above the waist.

We then move to a more practical idea ...
a tunic top , ......shoulder cape and an extremely full circle skirt....all in the same winter material

My thoughts before breakfast on a Monday Morning.....5 th of November could go with a bang.........
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote:I am now suggesting an above the knee Roman Style Tunic.....very flared and full at the

Perhaps another design would be to make the pattern to a circle skirt style from the shoulders and belt the garment at the waist......This way the geometry would produce a very full hem at the knee.
A long and free hem....With the circle skirt generated from the shoulders, to the knee , the circumference of the hem would be extremely long, possibly 12 to 15 feet. This would be like the hem
of the Traditional Kilt without any pressed pleats......An interesting shape for a sleeveless tunic.
Scroll down a bit, to "Free People Calico Cotton Trapeze Dress". Do you have something like this in mind? Notice how the garment flares below the arms.

https://www.macys.com/shop/featured/trapeze-dress
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

Grok wrote: Scroll down a bit, to "Free People Calico Cotton Trapeze Dress". Do you have something like this in mind? Notice how the garment flares below the arms.

Cool, I remember a few years ago I was going to "fripperies" (thrift stores) and costume shops looking for stuff for my Gash Bell cosplay, and someone at a store said I'm looking for a "Trapeze dress" I started laughing, just because the name, seems contradictory (and while I'd like to do all kinds of things in a dress or skirt, I believe trapezing is one of those things best NOT done so attired)
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Actually, I believe that "trapeze" is derived from "trapezoid". :mrgreen:
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

R., well that it is a spaghetti strap tunic would disallow it for the general male. If it had wider straps, then maybe, and the flare at the bottom is beguiling. I have some camis with spaghetti straps which barely come within MOH's palette. I mostly wear them under another top unless it's warm enough to do without the second top. I have a "dress" or two that are too short on their own that I call tunics for MOH's benefit.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Grok wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:I am now suggesting an above the knee Roman Style Tunic.....very flared and full at the

Scroll down a bit, to "Free People Calico Cotton Trapeze Dress". Do you have something like this in mind? Notice how the garment flares below the arms.

Thanks Grok...the Karen Kane trapeze dress in black or purple fits the bill for my style of male tunic.
I have never heard of that geometrical name for a style of dress. Makes sense to me.
Could be nice for male wear in a lightish weight wool or acryic material
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Sinned, I suspect there may have been a misunderstanding. I did not mean to imply that a trapeze dress must have spaghetti straps. If you look to the right of the image I mentioned, you will see the Karen Kane version. If I understand correctly weeladdie has something like this in mind.

I brought your attention to the dress with spaghetti straps because it very much demonstrates the flare of a trapeze dress.

Looked at trapeze dresses for Plus size. If you were designing a garment for a male, I think it might look like the one on the upper right.

https://www.torrid.com/clothing/dresses/trapeze/
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

That's right grok the Karen Kane one I elected on the left hand side of the illustration has long sleeves

I am not looking for a dress made out of rice paper , with spaghetti straps , so I can eat the dress
when I get hot or hungry... The hem is above the knee so the hem must be fairly full.

If the garment was a bit stretchy it would be ok for my needs when belted at the true waist and
worn with a long cardigan, or over a longer skirt . ....The idea of this style of male tunic would be
to make the over garment shorter than the under garment..... if one was worn

I have played with the idea of wearing two layers of summer skirts showing a couple of inches of under garment below the outer garment. A different style with increased warmth.

Did I see in the press today...New Look are closing a 100 retail female outlets on the U K High Street ?

House of Fraser seem to be having problems...Might be competition from on line suppliers ......
or a general shortage of cash on the High Street.............

There must be a good historical name for my male tunic or robe....................
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I do have a loose , sleeved tunic in black .... with a vee kneck ...hip length .
with tassles round the hem ... ....hardly worn the garment in years...

Perhaps I wore it over a thick sweater ...and it was a bit tight and difficult to get off...

There must be some good historical names for the old styles of male tunics or smocks ...or frocks
worn by the settlers in U.K. over the past centuries............
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

There was the leine of Ireland.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:There must be some good historical names for the old styles of male tunics or smocks ...or frocks worn by the settlers in U.K. over the past centuries............
I'd just call it a tunic and be done with. It's historically accurate -- even if the modern interpretation (usually worn with leggings) isn't. Let the marketplace sort it out.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

I can tell you as someone who donned an older style robe one fine Saturday, that it draws A LOT more attention than your typical "women's" skirt or dress.

Believe it or not, "crossdressing guys" seem to be more common than those who wear clothing or a more medieval style....

But one thing is for sure... you ain't crossdressing! And you'd be wearing something similar to what the apostles might have... so there's that...

I admit, sometimes I debate on crossing over and just wearing robes and Roman style tunics similar to how Ron does.

I have to say... this may be next on my wish list....

-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

Weeladdie, you seem to want to design your own distinctive garment. If so, I wouldn't worry about calling it a "tunic"-you would be recycling a (seldom used) word, and that's okay.
Last edited by Grok on Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Moon ..Thanks for the Photo . The ankle length tunic and over garment is certainly different to
the style of the above the knee trapeze dress....interesting photo...probably taken in a studio...
The outfit does look Religious or Middle Eastern...but the model's face looks to be European origin.

If two males went out together dressed in that manner, they might be called " The Heavenly Twins " .
They might even get a job as a " Mobile Christmas Card " .

I am not sure about the piece of rope as a waist tie.....Bit of an after thought.
Makes the outer garment look a bit like a dressing gown....I would prefer a belt without loose ends.
Maybe with a sporran or a body bag
The wearer could use the rope to hang himself if he did not like " Joe Public's Comments ".

Certainly an interesting style of male outfit.....
Was there any text with the photo ? ...............weeladdie