how short can you go in skirts

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
robert
Distinguished Member

Re: how short can you go in skirts

Post by robert »

I like my skirts to be longer. My shortest skirts are just above the knees, but without doubt I prefer them to be flared and just below the knees or midi skirts. I like how these skirts moves as I walk, and constantly reminding me of the fact that I actually do wear a skirt.
delabole

Post by delabole »

It depends on the weather. If it is hot, I go as short as I can, but this means wearing girls' skirts. My favourite is a 9" kilt, but I don't wear it in my (small) home town. In winter, I wear a longer 21" fluffy one, which combined with long socks or stockings is nice and warm.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

delabole wrote:It depends on the weather. If it is hot, I go as short as I can, but this means wearing girls' skirts. My favourite is a 9" kilt, but I don't wear it in my (small) home town. In winter, I wear a longer 21" fluffy one, which combined with long socks or stockings is nice and warm.
Welcome to Skirt Cafe, delabole. Good to hear from another small towner. I live in a little town of under 1000 in northern Illinois and also like my skirts short although sometimes my wife doesn't. About where are you located?
Gregg1100
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Gregg1100 »

Lots of short skirts for sale in Asda and Primark
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

Gregg1100 wrote:Lots of short skirts for sale in Asda and Primark
Not in my Primark or Asda Gregg. There's hardly any around me and I live in town where there's lots of young people. The short skirts the girls were wearing in summer hot weather must have been brought over internet.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

delabole wrote:It depends on the weather. If it is hot, I go as short as I can, but this means wearing girls' skirts. My favourite is a 9" kilt, but I don't wear it in my (small) home town. In winter, I wear a longer 21" fluffy one, which combined with long socks or stockings is nice and warm.
Hi, delabole, and welcome to the board!

Where, then, do you wear these 9" kilts, and the 21" fluffy ones, and what percentage of the time?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

I am 170 cm/67 in tall. This one is 42 cm/16.5 in waist-to-hem, and I'm comfortable wearing it out around town. My wife has accompanied me several times, but now mentions that she thinks it's "too short". She hasn't insisted that I not wear it, though.

I wouldn't want to go any shorter, but I really like this one (it's a stretch corduroy, really comfortable).

I do have to be careful sitting, bending down and getting into/out of a car, etc.
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

KenCT wrote:I am 170 cm/67 in tall. This one is 42 cm/16.5 in waist-to-hem, and I'm comfortable wearing it out around town. My wife has accompanied me several times, but now mentions that she thinks it's "too short". She hasn't insisted that I not wear it, though.

I wouldn't want to go any shorter, but I really like this one (it's a stretch corduroy, really comfortable).

I do have to be careful sitting, bending down and getting into/out of a car, etc.
Your picture seems to be censored. ;)

I'm 179 cm/5' 10.5" and 42 cm is a nice length for me in the summer. With the colder weather, I prefer 50 cm which is about knee length.
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I wear my traditional Kilt to top of the kneecap, which is the correct height for a Kilt. ......
I note that the school girls uniform skirt is normally worn not more than 4 inches above the knee.
It is worth noting that the shortness of these skirts is possibly unique to the school uniform as this
style of skirt outfit is normally worn with black tights.

I prefer to wear my summer skirts to the bottom of my kneecap so that when I am out and sit down
on a wooden seat in a café I am sitting on my skirt and do not have my bare legs against the seat.
It is the same for driving my car.

I am still wearing my skirts with ankle sox ,even in November at a temperature of 10 C to 15 C.
I prefer a fuller skirt worn below the knee and usually show my maleness by wearing a soft leather
Traditional 16 C Drovers Sporran on a leather belt pulled tight at my waist.

Folks do not believe that I wear this style of sporran to carry my days supply of Porridge Oats and
Musket Balls when I go cattle driving.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:I wear my traditional Kilt to top of the kneecap, which is the correct height for a Kilt. ......
I note that the school girls uniform skirt is normally worn not more than 4 inches above the knee.
It is worth noting that the shortness of these skirts is possibly unique to the school uniform as this
style of skirt outfit is normally worn with black tights.

I prefer to wear my summer skirts to the bottom of my kneecap so that when I am out and sit down
on a wooden seat in a café I am sitting on my skirt and do not have my bare legs against the seat.
It is the same for driving my car.

I am still wearing my skirts with ankle sox ,even in November at a temperature of 10 C to 15 C.
I prefer a fuller skirt worn below the knee and usually show my maleness by wearing a soft leather
Traditional 16 C Drovers Sporran on a leather belt pulled tight at my waist.

Folks do not believe that I wear this style of sporran to carry my days supply of Porridge Oats and
Musket Balls when I go cattle driving.
I go for knee length in both skirts and kilts, I only have two calf length ones for winter, pencil cut and snug. I only wear a sporran with my kilts :)
36476354_249932598928739_6377733680999170048_n.jpg
This type of kilt is now my typical look

But it's nice to wear something tight and bright like this
44425904_1466184813513498_654534792439447093_n.jpg
as well :mrgreen:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kilty Thanks for photos . I like the style of your kilt , worn as a suit.

I wear a heavy weight 18 ounce ,eight yard Tartan Kilt with a charcoal grey Argyle Jacket and
matching waistcoat or " Vest "

Howie Nichollson introduced the Kilt Suit probably 10 years ago . Can be seen with the gang on
his commercial website.

Perhaps a Kilt Suit is another way forward.....I am interested in getting into the below the Knee
pencil skirt suit......more in the style of the Figian Sulu ,often worn as a suit.
KenCT

Post by KenCT »

Hi beachlion,

I tried to follow the instructions for posting pictures, using a sharable link for a Google Drive file. I can right-click on the image icon and 'Open in a new tab'. If you or someone else would try this and let me know if that works, I would appreciate knowing. Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out how to get images to load automatically.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Posting a photo tip .

A little off topic, but I have found after a small struggle that a quick way to make a nice picture on a windows PC is to use the snip tool. Open the photo, and use the snip tool to make a smaller, cropped picture, and then save in a picture format. Take that and use the "Upload Attachment" at the bottom. That seems to automatically create a picture that is the correct size.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kilty Were you talking about tartan pencil skirts ? ...I was wearing my tartan below the knee pencil skirt in the cooler weather today.....as usual very comfortable and warm ....worn with no comment from
Joe Public
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

KenCT wrote:Hi beachlion,

I tried to follow the instructions for posting pictures, using a sharable link for a Google Drive file. I can right-click on the image icon and 'Open in a new tab'. If you or someone else would try this and let me know if that works, I would appreciate knowing. Meanwhile, I'll try to figure out how to get images to load automatically.
I keep all my pictures in folders on my hard disk, mostly in JPG-format. With IrfanView I make reduced copies and store them in the same folder if I'm to post those pictures. I keep the longest side of the picture at 800 pixels. I upload the pictures according to the instructions found in the section "Pics and Looks"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YeMl7O ... sp=sharing

I made a test file in Google Drive, uploaded a picture and copied the shareable link into this page.

For the curious, it is a picture of the bombed out neighborhood I lived nearby in The Hague
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak