Legitimizing a Day in a Dress for Men

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Legitimizing a Day in a Dress for Men

Post by Fred in Skirts »

moonshadow wrote:So recently we tried (and failed) to float a "go fund me" to get Amber's cat neutered....

What's a man gotta wear in this town to get a little help chopping off an animals nuts? :P
Do it yourself it is cheaper and not all that hard to do just make sure the cat is wraped up tight. :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Darryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Darryl »

Fred in Skirts wrote:
moonshadow wrote:So recently we tried (and failed) to float a "go fund me" to get Amber's cat neutered....

What's a man gotta wear in this town to get a little help chopping off an animals nuts? :P
Do it yourself it is cheaper and not all that hard to do just make sure the cat is wraped up tight. :lol:
Well....feed the cat some good whiskey and do the dastardley deed once it passes out.

Then take a few swallows yourself and splash some around your shirt front and then sit there keeping an eye on the cat while pretending to be passed out yourself.

That way he might not associate you with what happened and you will live. :mrgreen:
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

moonshadow wrote:...What's a man gotta wear in this town to get a little help chopping off an animals nuts?
Trying to imagine standing on the main drag wearing a skirt and holding a hand-lettered cardboard sign that says, "Need to chop off animal nuts, please help."

Not working.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

oldsalt1 wrote:It sounds like a good idea, But unfortunately I think that the purpose of the day would be misconstrued as some sought of gay pride day.

Here is a point. October 11th I had a doctors appointment and generally spent the entire day running around doing errands etc I was wearing a skirt the whole day .

Nothing happened but I was a little upset when I got home turned on the TV and some commentator was talking about "National Coming Out day"

Like I said nothing happened but I am sure that anyone who heard a similar comment early in the morning than saw me in my skirt came to a certain incorrect conclusion.
And this is why I really don't think the LGBT stuff is helpful. Not the only reason, but a big one.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

I actually know a guy who wore a kilt to work because he "lost" a bet with his boss. Now he occasionally wears it just because he can.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Dust wrote:I actually know a guy who wore a kilt to work because he "lost" a bet with his boss. Now he occasionally wears it just because he can.
A masterstroke, eh?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

crfriend wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:Nothing happened but I was a little upset when I got home turned on the TV and some commentator was talking about "National Coming Out day"
I see it was a slow news day and the talking head needed something to fill the airtime with.

This sort of thing is going to be perceived as a problem up until humankind goes extinct -- and it doesn't need to be a problem. First and foremost, somebody else's "alignment" is of precisely no matter unless one is interested in an intimate relationship. Full stop. If you're not after intimacy, then it's irrelevant. If anybody asks questions, you can deal with the matter in conversation; if they haven't the courage to interact with you, then it'll remain their problem.
I disagree somebody's alignment is a matter of concern when interaction is involved even if the relationship does not require intimacy.

Example I am involved with a number of veterans groups From the VFW Veterans of foreign wars the American legion the Disabled American vets and the Vietnam vets.

Individual Veterans themselves are the most accepting class of individuals I know. However being associated with say LGBT would definitely cause problems when trying to circulate within the management levels of these organizations.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:Individual Veterans themselves are the most accepting class of individuals I know. However being associated with say LGBT would definitely cause problems when trying to circulate within the management levels of these organizations.
That's a situation that one is powerless to change, so unless one is attempting to move in such circles why should it cause a worry? The other aspect of that is, "Why are the management levels so hung up about it?"

I know that there will always be individuals who try to overlay their own personalities on others, and that's likely never going to change. What I'm saying is that "Live and let live" is more sustainable and stable than perpetual bickering.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I think that we are always going to be assumed gay by some, especially strangers. This will be something most people don't care, but they might think it. This is not a problem at all for most situations. If someone won't socialize with you because of you chosen style of dress, then that is a good filter.

In the workplace, it might cause problems, depending on where you are. Leadership positions usually go to the ones that most fit in. By the way, a good technical person being passed over for leadership positions might just be a blessing in disguise. I've always made sure that I don't dress "managerial" just so they will let me do my programming, and not make me in charge (which is what happens to long tenured tech tpes in my company. I'm sure wearing a kilt or skirt to work regularly would seal the deal.

Notice that women wearing clothing otherwise thought of as men's, now do not have any issues, but for years did. When I was in High School, way back when, girls and female teachers were REQUIRED to wear skirts or dresses. Even workplaces required it. Now it is hard to find such a requirement in the USA. A woman has to dress really "butch" to make anyone think she might be gay (and even then it has a lot of doubt and is not the first thing people think). Maybe, someday the same will be true for skirted males, just assuming that the man simply likes the style and comfort..

Rights/ or lack of rights, for some, does not seem to impinge on our rights to wear a kilt/ or skirt or any other fashion previously attributed only to women. Where it (LGBT Laws) could be handy for us is in harassment or bullying by police government or workplace. At least firing someone for it would take some work, and you likely won't be arrested simply for wearing a skirt.. No one is likely to say anything to you if you keep it cool, of course they may talk behind your back, but that's fine. Of course, it isn't yet perfect, but it is clearly moving in the right direction.

So, do I think we need a "Skirt Day" for men. It might have unintended consequences by lumping it in with some other movement. If there was a special day, just for fun, great! I personally would be better off if people become desensitized to seeing a man in a skirt, and that will not come from one day.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

[That's a situation that one is powerless to change, so unless one is attempting to move in such circles why should it cause a worry?

I am and it does. I have some time now and I am working to better conditions for our veterans. I have dropped hints on the subject and from the feedback I receive it ain't going to work .

and I would hate to have my contributions and suggestions derailed because people who are currently in positions of power have a certain attitude towards the subject
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

oldsalt1 wrote:
crfriend wrote:That's a situation that one is powerless to change, so unless one is attempting to move in such circles why should it cause a worry?
I am and it does. I have some time now and I am working to better conditions for our veterans. I have dropped hints on the subject and from the feedback I receive it ain't going to work and I would hate to have my contributions and suggestions derailed because people who are currently in positions of power have a certain attitude towards the subject
Indeed, if one is working for a cause then one's drivers are going to be geared towards that cause. However, at a fundamental level, the "problem" is with the individuals in the management chain not with you. How you dance around that issue is your own personal business and I wish you luck with it. Sometimes staying under the RADAR is the easiest course of action.

By the by, I celebrate the cause. The USA does a truly dismal job of caring for those who have fought for her over the years. I regard it as a shame, though, that the managers cannot see around something that's largely irrelevant to the cause at hand.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

" National Coming Out Day " sounds to me as if the phrase came from the T. V. World.
" Coming Out " is...... " Coming Out of the Closet To Appear as a Woman "

I feel we have to understand the agenda before we dive into this big pit.

We dress as a "Man in a Skirt " .....our own research has shown that each individual member's style
of skirt attire does vary.....Meetings of members are rare.....sightings of other "Men in Skirts " dressed
in each viewer's style of our skirt wearing male fashion are non existant.

I say leave us to our own devices.....do not get involved in other party's politics.

Sit under the potted palm at the Skirt Café , and watch the world go by...........weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I feel that the O.P. is perhaps suggesting using The Legitimization Day as a Charity Fund Raising Day.
Fair comment....this is perhaps different to fighting for our personal human rights.

Sponsored charity fund raising is an entirely different ball game to obtaining government money for
a poorly funded good cause....................
Seriously consider how the trousers became a popular female fashion.........................
from the 1930's to the present day...........
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

weeladdie18 wrote:" National Coming Out Day " sounds to me as if the phrase came from the T. V. World. " Coming Out " is...... " Coming Out of the Closet To Appear as a Woman " I feel we have to understand the agenda before we dive into this big pit.
We dress as a "Man in a Skirt " .....our own research has shown that each individual member's style of skirt attire does vary.....Meetings of members are rare.....sightings of other "Men in Skirts " dressed in each viewer's style of our skirt wearing male fashion are non existant. I say leave us to our own devices.....do not get involved in other party's politics. Sit under the potted palm at the Skirt Café , and watch the world go by...........weeladdie
As a man in a skirt I do not think using the lgbt-whatever causes will help us at all. We are completely on a different course through the sea's of life. We just want to wear what we want without any problems from anyone. We are men, we wear skirts end of story.
The only way we will add members (0) is by just being ourselves and going out there and wear our skirts. We don't need to tag along on someone else's coat tails it just causes confusion.

Fred

(0) Members of not only the Cafe but of men in skirts in general.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have a feral male cat that my wife and I are trying to tame. If he comes to live with us we will get him neutered.

What's the name of the cat? Carlo Farinelli.