Wearing a Skirt to Church

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Skirt to Church

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Just to get back to the original question: If your wife is willing to go along with you, I suggest that you wear a skirt to church and don't worry about the details of its construction. Along with that, give your wife final power of approval or better yet, let her select something. Suggesting that you go in matching or coordinated outfits may make the concept easier for her to accept. But by all means make sure that you maintain the Fred Astaire Standard, "Always make your partner look good."

Good luck!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Caultron wrote:Wouldn't this all be easier if everybody just wore what they wanted?

Because, like, does God really care? If He wanted us to be nudists we would've been born naked...
Good Point , Caultron. ...I consider that man could be naked if he was living in a perfect environment
at a perfect temperature....Man wears clothing for protection during his daily activities or for warmth
or protection during changes in environmental temperature.

When Man attends a church service, the male and the female wear clothes defined by fashion to
show their gender and status.

The person who leads the religious service wears clothes which are recognised as being
religiously symbolic of the service.

The point which was raised with my original post was relative to wearing a skirt suit which is not
currently fashionable for my gender to wear as an acceptable fashion item , or as a fashion symbol
of my gender.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Caultron wrote:Wouldn't this all be easier if everybody just wore what they wanted?

Because, like, does God really care? If He wanted us to be nudists we would've been born naked...
Good Point , Caultron. ...I consider that man could be naked if he was living in a perfect environment
at a perfect temperature....Man wears clothing for protection during his daily activities or for warmth
or protection during changes in environmental temperature.

When Man attends a church service, the male and the female wear clothes defined by fashion to
show their gender and status.

The person who leads the religious service wears clothes which are recognised as being
religiously symbolic of the service.
At nudist resorts, people attend services nude. It seems to be what's culturally appropriate that counts. As many have pointed out from fashion shows and our experience of having no reaction to our skirts, men wearing skirts is now culturally acceptable many places. I had no problem wearing a skirt to my old church, but my current church seems a little more conservative, so I haven't tried it yet.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Jim wrote:At nudist resorts, people attend services nude. It seems to be what's culturally appropriate that counts. As many have pointed out from fashion shows and our experience of having no reaction to our skirts, men wearing skirts is now culturally acceptable many places. I had no problem wearing a skirt to my old church, but my current church seems a little more conservative, so I haven't tried it yet.
Why not try it the next Sunday you attend?? If they decide you are not welcome in the church ask them what would they do if the lord came to their church in a dress/robe would they ask him to leave too. Ask them what sins they commit everyday and still come to church. Always be able to throw it back in their court with a question they will not want to answer as it will just make them look bad no matter how they answer it.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:You're right that the proportions on women's skirted suits are not designed around the male frame. (Imagine that!) So I look for suiting separates on sale. That is a skirt in one size (usually a US10 occasionally an 8, most recently a 12) so the waist fits and a larger jacket, usually a classic US14 (now 12) sometimes a 16 so it fits my shoulders.

I suggest you not worry about which way the back vent opens, no one will notice such an arcane detail; they'll be too busy admiring how sharp you and your spouse look in coordinated skirt suits! I never wear my menswear suit or sports coats with my skirts because men's jackets are too long to look right with a skirt. I wear a 38S men's jacket so you're just not going to find a conventional men's jacket that goes with a skirt. I've seen photos of young men's suits with shorter jackets. One of those might work, but I have yet to find one in a store.

Before you get into a tailspin about the placement of the jacket buttons, either look for a double breasted jacket or a jacket that's sewn in such a way that the buttons can be reversed in an imperceptible manner. I have a Jones New York jacket I had such an alteration done on. What made it work is that it has horizontal rows of stitching all around it and the button hole was cut in the middle row. Consequently, it was super simple for my tailor to close up the old buttonhole and cut a new one and no one who's seen it could tell it hadn't come from the factory that way!
I've been fumbling around looking for a jacket with the right proportions but without a lot of feminine details for quite a while. Can you explain or maybe post pictures of the jacket you had the buttons flipped on?

I also looked into those shorter men's jackets, but the fit was too snug in the sleeves for my tastes. I may end up shelling out for a modernized kilt jacket,but I'd rather not.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

jim_11-4-18_2sc.jpg
I almost wore this to church, but decided my wife would be happier with me in pants.

I did wear it to an evening Lantern Festival celebrating autumn and the light of Christ which was mostly with church friends. It was a fun potluck dinner, a time of singing indoors, then making two groups walking with lanterns outside singing to each other. I understand it's an old German tradition that came to our friends mostly by way of the Bruderhof. No one commented on what I was wearing one way or the other, including a number of old friends who came from quite some distance for the party and hadn't seen me in a skirt before.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

Jim wrote:I almost wore this to church, but decided my wife would be happier with me in pants.
I can't imagine that skirt being found even remotely offensive. That's a classic and very dignified look.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Jim ,That is a nice long skirt for an evening Lantern Festival . Well done....Weeladdie
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Hello Dust, You asked about my blue suit that I had modified, I posted pictures of it in Pics and Looks section, including a closeup that shows the stitching, button and buttonhole.

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Wonderful Electric
Distinguished Member

Post by Wonderful Electric »

Very modest and classy. Isn’t that what a church wants? I am very glad that you guys are finding acceptance in your churches. I am an atheist so I don’t attend, but my wife has returned to the church in recent years. She has asked “what does it mean when you wear a skirt” and such questions. Ugh
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Tell her the truth; it means that you like wearing them and give your reasons for liking them.

It's as likely that she's questioning whatever she may be getting at church as she is to be questioning your choices.

Try to remember that her asking questions shows interest on her part and that she's giving you a chance. If she was buying a bunch of fundamentalist hogwash (The proscription against men wearing that which pertains to women also proscribes women wearing what pertains to men, such as, oh, I don't know... pants maybe?) without question and without giving you a chance, she'd have just left! Please try to reframe her asking from that perspective.

weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

This thread has been running for several weeks..... The goal posts are moving....
If the female parties in the family group are wearing their female skirt suits,
should the male in the party wear a female skirt suit which fits his male measurements
and appear as a male, or wear a new style made to measure male skirt suit ?........
What is the difference in this male style of dress
in this family gathering in the local community ?
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Wonderful Electric wrote:Very modest and classy. Isn’t that what a church wants? I am very glad that you guys are finding acceptance in your churches. I am an atheist so I don’t attend, but my wife has returned to the church in recent years. She has asked “what does it mean when you wear a skirt” and such questions. Ugh
This is a question which shows your partner has an interest in your thoughts on your style of dress...
My initial honest answer would be that I enjoy the freedom and comfort of wearing a more
traditional historical style of male attire.....Explain that this male style of clothing was given up
some 500 years ago

It is worth bearing in mind that the mother lays out the clothes for her son to wear for a days play or a
day's schooling.
I enclose two relevant examples....Up to my fathers generation it was common practice for boys to wear
dresses like their sisters until they were 4 or 5 years old .The boys were then breached and wore trousers
so they could attend school and were prepared for work and war.

A second example is the The Boys in Scotland who were dressed in Kilts when they were four years old
and wore their Kilts to Church and family parties......Some boys wore their Kilts to secondary school as
part of their school uniform as an alternative to short trousers.

Nowadays small boys and girls wear long trousers. This just a fashion change which occurs by
supply and demand................

The "Men in Skirts " are making their own choice regarding their chosen male fashion.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

weeladdie18 wrote:This thread has been running for several weeks..... The goal posts are moving....
If the female parties in the family group are wearing their female skirt suits,
should the male in the party wear a female skirt suit which fits his male measurements
and appear as a male, or wear a new style made to measure male skirt suit ?........
What is the difference in this male style of dress
in this family gathering in the local community ?
The skirt suit is made up of 2 parts , a skirt and a jacket. I would assume that the main difference between a female skirt suit and a male skirt suit is the style of the jacket.
The female design would have a short maybe waist long jacket while the male version would have a longer jacket akin to most men's suits.

If you wear a skirt suit to church and someone chooses to comment .There comment will most likely directed to the fact that you were wearing a skirt . You won't be able to mitigate that comment by wearing a male style jacket in a custom made skirt suit.

The other part of the situation is if you are going to the extreme of a custom made suit you most likely have included with the outfit additional female attire in the form of nylons and pumps as opposed to socks and wingtips.

What I think is important is to wear what you look the best in and have the most confidence with
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your comment Old Salt....If a male wears a female skirt suit ,folks may ask him why he is wearing " Girls Clothes " ......If he is wearing a skirt suit in a style designed to fit his male form, the
style may be slightly different and more fitting to his male skirt outfit..
I am trying to carefully avoid the implication that a Female Skirt Suit may change its gender
when the wearer of the same suit is a different gender.

There is a great deal of skill required to make a close fitting garment , like a pencil skirt a perfect fit on the chosen wearer's human form. You must remember that I am probably two inches shorter than you.
That is why I am called weeladdie.
When I wear my skirt suit to church ,
I would like folks to say " You look very smart today ,.......I love your skirt suit. "
My response to the lassies would be.. " Thank you very much Ladies. This is the latest fashion for men "
Last edited by weeladdie18 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.