Wearing a Skirt to Church

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Skirt to Church

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps the answer is for the male partner to wear a male version of the skirt suit made to
his measurements and male requirements.......
I am not sure how his female partner S.W.M.B.O. could suggest he was wearing girls clothes...weeladdie
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Sorry don' t understand S W M B O :?: :?:
Last edited by oldsalt1 on Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ray »

She Who Must Be Obeyed...
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

OS1,
The cockneys in London refer to her as the 'Trabble an' Striofe' (Trouble and Strife, rhyming with Wife)

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

"She Who Must Be Obeyed" The first place I heard that was on the British Show TV "Rhumpole of the Bailey" ( not sure of the spelling there). I am currently trying to find the series on DVD as I really enjoyed it. Not having too much luck either. :(

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

Fred in Skirts wrote:"She Who Must Be Obeyed" The first place I heard that was on the British Show TV "Rhumpole of the Bailey" ( not sure of the spelling there). I am currently trying to find the series on DVD as I really enjoyed it. Not having too much luck either. :(

Fred
You beat me to that as I'm also familiar with where that line came from. And it's "Rumpole".
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Go to amazon they have something by that name just put in DVD Rumpole of the Bailey
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

I wouldn't dream of wearing a skirt to Church. Ever.

Today I was scheduled to play the organ, rare now that other people have come on stream. It's cold up in that organ loft and it had been Minus 3 deg. C overnight, so muggins wore lots of layers.

I was somewhat effusively greeted on my return as MOH & granddaughter are away.

Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Tom.....It is a dog's life for some .....Rod.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Kirbstone wrote:I wouldn't dream of wearing a skirt to Church. Ever.
Why
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

OS1,

Not me, that's all.
shadowfax
Member Extraordinaire

Post by shadowfax »

JeffB1959 wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:"She Who Must Be Obeyed" The first place I heard that was on the British Show TV "Rhumpole of the Bailey" ( not sure of the spelling there). I am currently trying to find the series on DVD as I really enjoyed it. Not having too much luck either. :(

Fred
You beat me to that as I'm also familiar with where that line came from. And it's "Rumpole".
Link to an episode of Rumpole Of The Bailey on YouTube. Works in the UK but I'm not sure whether it'll work in other countries.
At 1:59, Horace Rumpole speaks the line, "She Who Must Be Obeyed".
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

As to OldSalt's point of contention, the French word for dress is "robe." Three guesses where that came from. Originally, priests and judges didn't wear pants under their robes because pants hadn't been invented yet.

Weeladdie, for the last 3 years I have worn dresses to church almost exclusively, occasionally a skirted suit. You're right that the proportions on women's skirted suits are not designed around the male frame. (Imagine that!) So I look for suiting separates on sale. That is a skirt in one size (usually a US10 occasionally an 8, most recently a 12) so the waist fits and a larger jacket, usually a classic US14 (now 12) sometimes a 16 so it fits my shoulders.

I suggest you not worry about which way the back vent opens, no one will notice such an arcane detail; they'll be too busy admiring how sharp you and your spouse look in coordinated skirt suits! I never wear my menswear suit or sports coats with my skirts because men's jackets are too long to look right with a skirt. I wear a 38S men's jacket so you're just not going to find a conventional men's jacket that goes with a skirt. I've seen photos of young men's suits with shorter jackets. One of those might work, but I have yet to find one in a store.

Before you get into a tailspin about the placement of the jacket buttons, either look for a double breasted jacket or a jacket that's sewn in such a way that the buttons can be reversed in an imperceptible manner. I have a Jones New York jacket I had such an alteration done on. What made it work is that it has horizontal rows of stitching all around it and the button hole was cut in the middle row. Consequently, it was super simple for my tailor to close up the old buttonhole and cut a new one and no one who's seen it could tell it hadn't come from the factory that way!

As the saying goes, "In for a penny, in for a pound."
Last edited by Pdxfashionpioneer on Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Caultron wrote:
oldsalt1 wrote:I disagree with that statement. NO priests don't wear skirts. The garments that they wear may resemble togas and robes , But they are not meant to de considered as skirts, or dresses. and all priests that I know wear pants under them. Its the same case when judges wear robes. They are not meant to be misconstrued. as dresses.

When I was growing up I was an alter boy and we wore cassocks and they were never considered as dresses. In my opinion there is no way that the garments worn in religious circumstances have anything remotly to do with men wearing skirts.
Well, OK, but you have to admit that both cassocks and friar's robes are unbifurcatted.

Just sayin'.
I feel we are getting bogged down with the descriptive limitations of the English Language as
we know it.............................
The original Christian Religion came from the Middle East , where the male traditionally wore
a tunic or robe....Religious Leaders and their followers have always have always been shown wearing
this style of garment.....
In our lifetime ...Monks wear Habits and those who officiate in
Religious Ceremonies in a Church wear Traditional Religious Regalia , generally refered to as
Robes or Cassocks according to the status of the wearer or the occasion..........
It has been stated that the French word for Dress is robe.....................................
However in normal English fashion the Robe is a male garment...........................
It has also been suggested that the wearing of religious garments is only a symbolism for the ceremony.
However it has also been stated that the wearers of these symbolic garments are wearing normal male
daywear underneath their symbolic religious robes .
How ever the symbolic religious garments are actually being worn and can be seen to be worn
as ceremonial garments and not as symbol.
The implication of this is that if a male dressed as a male in his male shorts and wore a Female Dress
over his Male Garments would he be wearing a Female Dress ?...................
or only wearing a Female Dress as a symbol of something else ?
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Wouldn't this all be easier if everybody just wore what they wanted?

Because, like, does God really care? If He wanted us to be nudists we would've been born naked...
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron