Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Ladies' tops that are not feminine

Post by JeffB1959 »

moonshadow wrote:Why are the items of the shelves blurred out?

I really like the skirt btw.

And if you want a non feminine "woman's" shirt just get a "women's" tee shirt. They are literally the exact same thing.
In terms of style and appearance, yes, but I find women's tees to be softer in terms of feel.

Meanwhile, I purposely look for feminine looking tops as I have no problem with wearing such garments with my skirts.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

renesm1 wrote:I find my problem with ladies' tops are not the styles but the length; most of them have a short torso. If anyone finds a top of a decent length let me know!!!
I agree -- I have had to discard some tops that were just too short -- I bought them years ago without really checking the length. Best advice is to shop in person and try on the tops in the fitting room. If shopping on line, look for "tall" sizing. And have you tried Long Tall Sally?
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

JeffB1959 wrote:yes, but I find women's tees to be softer in terms of feel.
Yes that's true.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

skirtingtheissue wrote:
renesm1 wrote:I find my problem with ladies' tops are not the styles but the length; most of them have a short torso. If anyone finds a top of a decent length let me know!!!
I agree -- I have had to discard some tops that were just too short -- I bought them years ago without really checking the length. Best advice is to shop in person and try on the tops in the fitting room. If shopping on line, look for "tall" sizing. And have you tried Long Tall Sally?
JCPenney has a very nice selection of tops for talls, and for cheaper prices than Long Tall Sally.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

As my skirting is currently on hold, I did wonder whether I could get a style reversal past the wife - i.e. rather than a skirt with a regular (men's) shirt or tee, maybe I should try regular jeans with a blouse?

I've posted before about a piece I read from a psychologist who reckoned that some guys dressed in the female clothing that they like to see women wear (definitely the case with me). My #1 look (that I like to see women wearing) is the autumnal skirt with pantyhose and knee-length boots. My #2 look is a sheer blouse with cami, snug (not skinny) jeans or leggings and ankle boots. I really fancy trying something like the latter for myself, maybe starting with a top like this.

Great tip regarding JC Penny tall range. I also read on here about Payless being a good site for shoes up to size 13 (I might just get away with this size - I'm normally a UK 10.5 / Euro 45). As an aside, I was mighty impressed to read on here that such a thing as (ice) hockey garter belts exist :-)
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Yes, FT444, that shirt would work. Collarless shirts are OK for men and it's only the cuff less sleeve ends that would possibly indicate that it's from t'other side of the aisle. I wear lots of tops that are female oriented and actually get them past MOH! Possibly tops, with the really feminine exceptions such as the frilly, flowered blouse, are easier to get away with.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

FranTastic444 wrote:As my skirting is currently on hold, I did wonder whether I could get a style reversal past the wife - i.e. rather than a skirt with a regular (men's) shirt or tee, maybe I should try regular jeans with a blouse?
I have pretty good results (IMHO) with things like henleys and tunics.

Tunics being those longish shirts that women wear to just barely cover their butts when they wear yoga pants. (In fact, you might want to try that look. My wife is tolerant of being seen with me that way but not in a skirt.)
FranTastic444 wrote:...as an aside, I was mighty impressed to read on here that such a thing as (ice) hockey garter belts exist
Hockey "pants" are really padded shorts that the players wear over thigh-high socks. So to keep the socks up, they wear a garter belt. You can buy these at any store that sells hockey equipment.

Don't buy the socks, though, because they're way too large unless you're wearing shin pads underneath.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Some ladies T Shirt night shirts are just knee length T Shirts and can be worn by the male with his skirts
if the pattern is suitable , possibly just a logo...This style of attire doubles the t shirt as an above or below the knee underwear in a successful manner...........
......a short T shirt can be worn with a cotton short skirt as a complete form of Male Skirt Underwear
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

I bought some camis from Matalan earlier in the year and they did them in two lengths - normal and long. The long ones are almost to knee length. I put one on this morning under my work top and MOH said that it was almost long enough to be a dress. It's funny but MOH doesn't seem to mind me wearing "women's" tops.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
JohnH
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JohnH »

I have some short sleeve women's shirts that look very much like men's shirts. Women's shirts fit me better as I need room for my chest mounds (DD cup). Men's shirts that fit my chest have seams from the sleeves to the shirt body down on my upper arms. The only thing that is awkward is the reversed side of the buttons.

John
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

MOH normally works until 21:30, 22:00 some nights. On Sunday night, normally a busy one, she cam home early, before 21:00. She caught me wearing a short, strappy "dress", black with white hearts, and asked if I was going to be wearing dresses next. I said that I wasn't and anyway this wasn't a dress but a tunic. The hem fell mid thigh and I think too short to be worn on its own. I went upstairs and changed into my normal loungeware. She hasn't mentioned it since.

To keep to the thread, I ain't really bothered if the top is feminine. I just don't want it to be TOO feminine, whatever that is.
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

JohnH wrote:I have some short sleeve women's shirts that look very much like men's shirts. Women's shirts fit me better as I need room for my chest mounds (DD cup). Men's shirts that fit my chest have seams from the sleeves to the shirt body down on my upper arms. The only thing that is awkward is the reversed side of the buttons.

John
The only thing that is awkward is the reversed side of the buttons.

Hint: - if you aren't doing it now dress ah er button dem buttons in front of a mirror.
Polo shirts are not bad with 3-5 buttons - it is those darn henleys with 15-20 some buttons spaced such that you can't get your fingers in between to button'em up !
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
r.m.anderson
Member Extraordinaire

Post by r.m.anderson »

Re: Women's "T" shirts

Yes shorter in the hem - women's "T's" were not made to tuck in
Yes a softer feel - usually a more sheer lighter finer fabric cloth
Yes the sleeves a bit shorter leaning toward the cap sleeve or even sleeveless
Yes and the trend these days is eliminating the manufactures clothing labels now on the left inside seam above the waist
Most noticeable difference is the neck line - a wider more full opening to accommodate madam's bouffant hairdo
"YES SKIRTING MATTERS"!
"Kilt-On" -or- as the case may be "Skirt-On" !
WHY ?
Isn't wearing a kilt enough?
Well a skirt will do in a pinch!
Make mine short and don't you dare think of pinching there !
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

After years of conditioning and tucking in the bottom of the top, as it were, It is taking me time to get used to the shorter length of the tops. You know, those that stop at navel height. I still sometimes feel uncomfortable, not embarrassment-wise but comfort-wise with some tops. With sleeves I tend to stick to sleeveless or very short capped type sleeves. Even though I sometimes roll the cuffs up an a shirt 3/4 or thereabouts sleeves just seem to end in the middle of nowhere. As to neck line it can't dip too low to show the chest hair. MOH wouldn't dream of me shaving it off and I wouldn't anyway. After all, t has taken me a lifetime to grow it. Sometimes the front is a very deep round or V and I can't accommodate that. So, as you can tell I tend to be a bit fussy about the tops I wear.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

My grand-daughter nearly floored me today. She was sat at the dining table when she jumped up and said, "Grand-dad, grand-dad, I nearly forgot." She dashed out into the hall and I followed her. She rummaged about in a bag and drew out a sleeveless top, mainly blue with a flower pattern on part of it. It looked very nice and I said so. She said that Primark were selling them for £3 and did I want one. For a second I didn't know how to react but she went on that she thought I would like it but wanted to make sure before she bought one and what size was I. She wasn't taking the Mick and I thanked her and said that I would like one and I would be a L or XL. I also said that her grand-ma and I used to wear matching tops when we were first married and I would be glad to wear a matching top to her. How about that for acceptance? She has seen me in "female" clothes and skirts often and it obviously isn't a problem for her. It has really made my day. :D

Compare that to MOH who has accused me of always wanting to wear skirts and suggested today that I should wear a skirt one day a week! I firmly rejected this as I said that I didn't want to wear a skirt all the time but merely the freedom to incorporate them into my general wardrobe. I wouldn't be forced into skirting for such a small time frame. I said that I haven't worn skirts so much lately partly because of the cold weather but mainly out of respect of her dislike and that I would like to wear them more but for her attitude. It's funny because I have been wearing a cami top all day and she's not mentioned that at all.

Also my daughter and youngest son and their families were around this afternoon were around for New Year lunch. After we were talking about holiday hot weather and I said that I wear camis to maximise shoulder exposure and to keep me cool. No complaints about that. My son then said that he wanted some of those sleeveless tops with the over-large arm holes and I told him that he was more likely to find them on t'other side of the aisle. His wife said that those type of tops were suitable for men or women anyway. Progress on some of my family at last. Maybe attitudes are changing.