A Modern Style of Tunic or Robe

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

A Modern Style of Tunic or Robe

Post by weeladdie18 »

This thread is intended to discuss traditional and historical robes or tunics in a modern concept for male wear....If one initially considers
the Traditional style of male robes the immediate style which comes to mind is the classic biblical style of the early Christians.
This style of garment is still worn in various forms....all over the world....One example is the Monks Habit. Another is Clerical Regalia
as worn by Church ministers ..Many years ago in a city I obtained a catalogue of religious garments from a shop which supplied church regalia in the local district...Perhaps an initial scource of various styles of robes. Some basic garments are white , others are black.
One could mix a shorter white over garment with a long robe in a suitable colour...However I am initially trying to avoid the skirted male look as I am attempting to explore the male robe or tunic.
The Kaftan was promoted in the late sixties .... I am not sure of the origin of this garment.

The man in the street will say " you are wearing a dress "...whilst referring to a female dress. This statement is not entirely correct.

This thread may drift back to modern male skirt like garments ...please could I have your thoughts ,gentlemen... ....weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: A Modern Style of Tunic or Robe

Post by Sinned »

Having been to Egypt a few times I have brought back some of their robes and kaftans. I've worn them in the house but not outside. Not sure if I want to be assumed to be an Arab.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Taj
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Taj »

I have several shirts of the mountain man style, historically accurate for the 18th or 19th centuries. They are about mid-thigh long and quite loose fitting. They also are made with side vents from the hem to about 4" higher. I suppose that these days wearing breech clouth and leggings would be a bit out of place, but the shirt could be a good starting place for a tunic. Tunics weren't any longer actually. The side vents could be sewn up for more modesty. As a side note, the length of these shirts took the place of needing undergarments, which weren't common on the frontier. If anyone is interested in obtaining these kinds of shirt they are usually available at historic reenactments, or can be found on-line.
You don't get to judge me by your standards. I have to judge me by mine.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Sinned wrote:Having been to Egypt a few times I have brought back some of their robes and kaftans. I've worn them in the house but not outside. Not sure if I want to be assumed to be an Arab.
I would agree with Sinned,,,If I wore a tunic or robe from an ethnic minority nation in my own country , I might be considered
to be a member of that Ethnic Minority Nation and a visitor to my own country.

My thoughts are " How can I wear a garment which will make me look a local resident in my own country ? "
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

If I persue this line of thought ,We have discovered we can successfully wear skirts and dresses from the other side of the isle.
How do we go back to historical times and wear a garment which might have been historically worn by the male in our own country ?
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:How do we go back to historical times and wear a garment which might have been historically worn by the male in our own country ?
This would be a matter of visiting one's local library to research styles over the centuries. Such books do exist, but usually the exemplars presented tend to be fairly dull.

Really the last time that robes were worn in Europe was in the middle ages. Tunics were around for a while after that. The whole notion of anything for males other than trousers died outright during the French Revolution. It's kind of sad when one contemplates it.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Perhaps the way forward is to redesign the shift dress or other similar styles as a male tunic or a longer robe.
Such a garment could be made by anyone competent at making dresses at home using a male style material
This type of garment without buttons or zips may be visualised with our thoughts on the .." where do we draw the line ? " thread
in mind.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

crfriend wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:How do we go back to historical times and wear a garment which might have been historically worn by the male in our own country ?
This would be a matter of visiting one's local library to research styles over the centuries. Such books do exist, but usually the exemplars presented tend to be fairly dull.

Really the last time that robes were worn in Europe was in the middle ages. Tunics were around for a while after that. The whole notion of anything for males other than trousers died outright during the French Revolution. It's kind of sad when one contemplates it.
The design of the male garment should be reintroduced with some flare to bring it into the 21 centuary life style in the lengths suitable
for a smock, tunic , or robe length ,in summer or winter weights of material......perhaps our male skirt marketers may have some
comments
The garment may be suitable to be worn with or without leggings , wooley tights or trousers.
I have worn short fishermens smocks for years . this garment has pouch pockets at the front at waist height..................
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

One thing I would not do is design a garment that fastens in the back. I have had the experience of being asked to put on a hospital gown, and then having trouble tying the thing behind my back.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Grok wrote:One thing I would not do is design a garment that fastens in the back. I have had the experience of being asked to put on a hospital gown, and then having trouble tying the thing behind my back.
For an entry-level garment, I agree. Avoid every deterrent you can.

The task of zipping up a top or dress in back, however, is easily solved with a paper clip on a string.

Unless you can put it on backwards, zip it up, and then rotate it 180 degrees.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would agree with Caultron...I feel any form of zip or button fastening is tiresome........
I find elasticated garments are far more comfortable as they tend to have a degree of stretch to
meet the ever lightly changing dimensions of the wearer.
On some designs an adjustable belt will help a garment to hold its shape at the waist.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Grok »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps the way forward is to redesign the shift dress or other similar styles as a male tunic or a longer robe.
Such a garment could be made by anyone competent at making dresses at home using a male style material
This type of garment without buttons or zips may be visualised with our thoughts on the .." where do we draw the line ? " thread
in mind.
If the garment is loose enough one might pull it over ones head, like a T-shirt.
Raakone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Raakone »

Grok wrote:If the garment is loose enough one might pull it over ones head, like a T-shirt.
Kind of how I imagine the ideal garment. I was recently re-inspired to think about it, because talking with an online friend about, among other things, the oversized turtleneck sweater-dress worn by the three main characters in the 80's version of "Alvin and the Chipmunks", he said it would be a very practical garment, I agreed.

Exhibit A....-l-v-i-n.... Image

But ideally, it would have nice pockets.

Well, the most important aspects of such a garment, to me...
a) long enough (knee length or longer) so as to not have to worry about needing pants or shorts
b) must be opaque enough (please see point a)
c) must be comfortable (obvious)
d) must have decent pockets (under normal circumstances, we need our keys, wallet, and cellphone, at the very least, when going out)

Should come in winter and summer varieties, and also, perhaps with different kind of collars (despite that link, maybe turtle-neck isn't the best idea? How about different kinds of collars, and collar-less? Or maybe even a version inspired by....Gash Bell? https://tenor.com/xEpH.gif Guy is clearly wearing a dress. Funny thing is, nobody brings it up, even in the middle of JAPAN!)
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Raakone wrote:
Grok wrote:If the garment is loose enough one might pull it over ones head, like a T-shirt.
Kind of how I imagine the ideal garment. I was recently re-inspired to think about it, because talking with an online friend about, among other things, the oversized turtleneck sweater-dress worn by the three main characters in the 80's version of "Alvin and the Chipmunks", he said it would be a very practical garment, I agreed.

Exhibit A....-l-v-i-n.... Image

But ideally, it would have nice pockets.

Is the character in the side picture of Gash Bell supposed to be wearing a cape ?
Or have they forgotten to colour in his arms ?

There is another idea for a tunic made like an Inverness Cape ......sleeveless tunic made
with matching button down shoulder cape.............weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Have another look at the clothes worn by Alvin's Gang ....some of those girls clothes are quite advanced.
.....Pinafore dress with Blouse and Tie...leg warmers over tights.....boys in tunics....interesting