Clothes at Home For The Winter

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Clothes at Home For The Winter

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have recently been considering warm clothes to wear at home in the winter...Perhaps not clothes to wear out on the street......
First item........warm ankle length Night dress......second Item...perhaps not worn with the first.....warm leggings....

Just warm and comfortable ideas ................. ........................weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Clothes at Home For The Winter

Post by Kirbstone »

When I first met my wife-to-be in 1968 she introduced me to a houseful of Americans from Phoenix who at the time were renting it from my Mother-in-law to be. It was March and cold with it. Future MOH was regularly baby-sitting their kids.
We both had been in America the previous year (1967) and it was a big topic of conversation. We were greeted at their front door by Dad, in shirt sleeves and shown inside. It was immediately apparent that they heated the entire house up to about 80 deg. F, to make it feel like Phoenix and they were all in light summer attire.
They had installed plastic sheeting on wooden frames covering every window to form a sort of double-glazing insulation, as that was unheard-of in 60s Britain.

I subsequently visited them back in Phoenix and had to wear a sunhat while swimming in their pool. It was a 'cool' 104 deg. F !

So there's the answer to thick leggings and long skirts.......Heat!

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Tom.......... Many of my sailing friends are boarding the great silver bird and heading south for the winter...
...............perhaps I should do the same.................snorkelling in the Red Sea..... and a trip to Figi...............

When I was considering relocating and down sizing , I did consider a decent Camper van and touring Scotland for the summer and
heading towards the Med for the winter.......just migrate to live at the perfect temperature as the seasons change............Rod
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Rob,

The drive South in a camper is always a pain. Two different friends of ours keep a camper garaged cheaply in S. France, to which they fly frequently. From there (Beziers) interesting places are easily reached.

A few of my scuba-diving friends extol the wonders of the Red Sea for that activity. Have never been. We did snorkel quite a bit in the Caribbean, Tobago Kays &c. I'm a real sucker or year-long very warm water where these tropical multi-coloured fish abound. Also, the rain. We experienced a deluge on Martinique, but it fell at about 30 deg.C.....like a warm shower and it dried off just as quickly....we were on a forest hike.
I'll quote our song-writer Percy French, who 100-odd years ago wrote as the last verse........

I've loved the young maidens of every land, that always came easy to me,
Just barrin' the belles of the Blackamoor band...and the chocolate shapes of Fiji,
But that sort a' lovin's just moonshiney stuff..and never could addle me brain,
Soon the bells will be ringin' in Ballyjamesduff,..for me and me Rosey Kilraine....

There's a life-sized exquisite Bronze of Percy seated at one end of a long bench seat overlooking the main square in that town. He has a sheet of music on his lap....That song.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
beachlion
Member Extraordinaire
Location: 65 year The Hague, The Netherlands, then Allentown, PA, USA

Post by beachlion »

When I retired in 2005, I had planned to move to the south. I like the beach and the warm weather. So my first idea was to go to Crete. I have been there and I love it. But I also like the western European culture, especially the French so my focus moved to La Rochelle on the Atlantic coast. La Rochelle has a lot of history. I was already checking the local housing market of La Rochelle and surroundings when an American lady crossed my path. Long story short, I now live in Allentown, PA, 100 mile from the beach and not much of culture around me to speak of. ;)
All progress takes place outside the comfort zone - M J Bobak
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

beachlion wrote:I was already checking the local housing market of La Rochelle and surroundings when an American lady crossed my path. Long story short, I now live in Allentown, PA, 100 mile from the beach and not much of culture around me to speak of. ;)
Those American Ladies will do it every time! :lol:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Kirbstone wrote:...So there's the answer to thick leggings and long skirts.......Heat!
We're probably done with 100+ degree temperatures now and until next May or do, but yes, living somewhere warm does avoid the need to bundle up.

High 65 degrees, low 35 degrees is about as cold as it gets here.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Caultron wrote:We're probably done with 100+ degree temperatures now and until next May or do, but yes, living somewhere warm does avoid the need to bundle up.
High 65 degrees, low 35 degrees is about as cold as it gets here.
If that was my typical temperature range I'd wear skirts all year. But it's colder in New England so I put my skirts away until Spring except for a few occasions here or for traveling. I just don't care for hose or leggings. Oh well, it makes the coming of Spring that much better.
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

I see that winter skirt wearing is an issue for some, as well as myself. Last winter, living in Massachusetts, I found that once the cold set in the skirts went into the storage box with my shorts. This year, however, I'm going to try my best to give thigh high leggings a try. We will see if it works for me.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Well down to 29 degrees F here last night. So I am dragging out my longer skirts for the winter cold. I do not like or wear tights, I do wear knee high compression stockings though. I just received two new ankle length skirts that are too large in the waist so will have to get them taken in about two inches. The high for yesterday was in the upper 60s and it will be getting colder from now on. I don't like cold at all, that is why I stayed in the "Sunny South" after my stint in the Air Farce. Instead of going back to Pennsylvania. I should have gone further South. :lol:

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you for your comments to my thread ...My posting is playing up again weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

How come my last test post was the only recent post to show an edit icon ? weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Try again ...Yesterday , Monday was another day in the Cornish Indian Summer ..Plenty of wind ...At one point temperature rose to 20 C.
then fell to 16 C .
I am currently wearing short socks with knee high flat soled sip up boots. .....soon I will start wearing my stockings and suspenders under
my skirts. I find this style of attire keeps the air conditioning working on my upper legs .
I wore the dreaded trousers while "working " the other day ...vile and uncomfortable.......I do find driving or sitting in my car all day is
a good way to stay at my required body temperature.
Off to Falmouth Maritime Museum today...One of the Model Boat Builders will be giving me advice on building my wooden model of a
French1907 sailing Dundee ....A Breton Fishing vessel.....All the intructions are in French.....Many retired gentlemen spend up to
3 years building these eighteen inch models .Good way to amuse myself sitting in the sun in my lounge
Ralph
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Ralph »

Winter is the time for the heavy-fabric (mostly velvet) maxi dresses to come out. I have a couple that start at the top with a turtleneck and go all the way to the tops of my feet. Very cozy when it drops below freezing (meaning it's about 65F inside).

When our furnace died during a recent deep freeze, I layered up with that velvet dress over top of a leotard, heavy tights, and a wool maxi skirt. My wife did not think kind thoughts of me as I commented on how warm I was :D
Ralph!