Where Do we Draw the Line ?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
crfriend
Master Barista

Re: Where Do we Draw the Line ?

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:[I had an I T problem with windows 8.1.
Well, that's something right out of the Department of Redundancy Department. Windwoes 8.{foo} is, de-facto, a problem. Full stop.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Carl.... It was a dark and stormy night.... and the skipper said to the mate ,......" tell us a story mate . " , and the mate began the story thus.......

" Twas a dark and stormy night, .....and the skipper said to the mate, tell us a story mate, and the story began thus,...... "

"Well sir. I went to a computer shop and bought a new laptop with windows 8.1 installed....the two technicians were switched on, but the boss had
a fuse blown in his main frame......The shop was originally in the main shopping street in town....then it moved into the breakfast room of a hotel.
Then it moved into the basement kitchen with the old Scottish Cooking stove still in place.....The boss would sometimes appear in his chef's uniform
with his mother's dog..... Like a ghost, sir.... .....The last time I went to get window's 8.1 sorted ,out the whole hotel was boarded up.
I went into the local reference library to find a Computer technician in town....The gentleman at the next booth told me the story..
It included the Chef and his mothers dog being evicted from the family hotel and the last shipwreck in the bay for a hundred years.
The story was the talk of the town...When I finally got windows 8.1 sorted as 8.1, ........ I was given a reference to the story.
I have read this story ,the press , sir. There is a reference in my log book regarding this story sir...This is a true story sir.
I will admit that on the wildest night at sea, I could not dream up this story. when I go off watch sir, I will check my log book sir."
" I am looking out of the window on the bridge ,sir. I am reporting in the duty log that that I can hear the fog horn on the lighthouse.
It is raining cats and dogs and blowing a bastard. Time check 0243 B S T.

Something has just crashed ,sir . ......I do not think it was windows 8.1 ..... , sir "
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

An' now, Weeladdie....I have a yarn about Pirat'n:

T'was a dark & windy night aboard the pirate ship, when to his astonishment, utter dismay and shock, the Pirate Captain witnessed his cruellest & most ruthless crewmember fall from the fighting top straight through the main deck, through the tweendeck, through the gundeck and end up in the bilges next the cable-tiers.
Fearing the very Worst the Captain rushed down several companion ladders, reaching the bilges only to find his crewmember sitting up on the cables rubbing his head and very much alive. Vastly relieved the Captain enquired how he felt, whereupon the crewmember said: Aw oim awright Cep'n....Oi've bin frew 'awdship befoah! :eye:

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The Pirates of Penzance..Sounds like the lad wanted to be an apprentice pilot...but unfortunately became an apprentice pirate. .....Rod
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

In my dreams I was working with a construction gang in the Cornish mining Industry.
Boss , he ses to I " See that pile of lengths of steel angle. We will be using them to make steel pylons. .. Will you take a tape measure and tell
me the height of one of those sections. So I got four of my mates to hold the section up vertically and I shinned up it with my tape measure .
Thick boss , he comes out of his office and ses.. " What are you doing. just lay the tape along one of those lengths of steel on the ground. "
" That wont be no good boss. You want to know the height of them , not the length."

Then he gave me another job. " You can send the rest of the afternoon painting all that steel. ".
Well I really liked that job, so I did it real quick.".....I went back in the office and said " Finished that painting Boss. It is all proper job. "
Do you know what he said to me ? "Well done lad. You can go back out there and spend the rest of the afternoon watching the paint dry "
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

weeladdie18 wrote:In my dreams I was working with a construction gang in the Cornish mining Industry.
Boss , he ses to I " See that pile of lengths of steel angle. We will be using them to make steel pylons. .. Will you take a tape measure and tell
me the height of one of those sections. So I got four of my mates to hold the section up vertically and I shinned up it with my tape measure .
Thick boss , he comes out of his office and ses.. " What are you doing. just lay the tape along one of those lengths of steel on the ground. "
" That wont be no good boss. You want to know the height of them , not the length."

Then he gave me another job. " You can send the rest of the afternoon painting all that steel. ".
Well I really liked that job, so I did it real quick.".....I went back in the office and said " Finished that painting Boss. It is all proper job. "
Do you know what he said to me ? "Well done lad. You can go back out there and spend the rest of the afternoon watching the paint dry "
Excellent summary.
Daryl...
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

SkirtsDad wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Well said yonkas . I certainly feel I can wear anything I choose. ...However what I am trying to wear is a skirt outfit which looks
masculine , not feminine....To give you an example
What is masculine?
Depends who you ask. Some will answer "toxic". Some will answer "Old Spice". Some will answer "if you have to ask..."
Daryl...
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Just a quick comparison you make the choice as to which is feminine and which is masculine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:Just a quick comparison you make the choice as to which is feminine and which is masculine
The answer may seem obvious. One might point to the flowery number as the feminine.

But why?

Because flowers are for females...

But why?

Because that's the way our culture is...

But why?

For every answer you think you have... then ask yourself...

But why?

The solid conclusion I seem to reach after a string of "whys"... is... there seems to be no logical reason, other than "that's just the way it is..."

We can point to reasons why pants would be more appropriate than skirts in some situations, but once the decision to wear a skirt is reached, the pattern of the skirt seems to have no bearing on its functionality or lack thereof.

Certain styles of skirts are better suited for certain task. For example, when working around the house I like to wear knee length skirts as the longer ones get in the way, despite the fact that I like the look of midis more than knee lengths.

So is that to say a longer skirt is feminine?

Are women then not known for working around the house?

To me, it doesn't matter. The clothes we wear are either practical or not. Masculine vs feminine really need not matter.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Besides, masculine or feminine, you're not going to accomplish much either way with your head unattached... :wink:
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I guess when I talk about skirts I just loose my head :lol: :lol: :lol:
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

oldsalt1 wrote:I guess when I talk about skirts I just loose my head :lol: :lol: :lol:
I thought you were practicing to be the headless skirtsman for Halloween! :lol: :mrgreen:
-Andrea
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Old salt....trying to be serious for a minute...good example ...the blue skirt outfit does look male and sporty....the patterned blouse does look feminine.
In this example it is easy to compare one outfit with another.......If a third outfit was shown....this might change the balance.

Just for a change , I wore a patterned shift dress with my male harris tweed sports jacket today. I thought it looked .o.k as the pattern was not what
I would call a feminine pattern....Still, I keep on pushing my skirt outfits to what I consider is My Limit, but rarely get any any comments.
There again, I am just trying to get on with my own life..................weeladdie.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Once the jump to skirts being possible I can see why other wonderful, dazzling or even "feminine" styles could be tempting. There are also not many (if any) examples of men's fashion that would work with skirts, or especially dresses (which I think are super convenient, but it is a line I have not crossed).

In my youth I always wore flashy, clothes. I wore velvet, satin, high platform shoes, patent leather boots, tights, short shorts and many other previously known as "feminine" clothes. They were designed for a male, but that was the 70's, and it was somewhat cool then.

For the past 30 years, however, I have found myself drawn to blander looks, cotton, conservative, laid back, casual type men's wear. Now that I've started with skirts I find myself drawn to the same styles, but including skirts.

Maybe, it's me now!
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

lazerr wrote:Once the jump to skirts being possible I can see why other wonderful, dazzling or even "feminine" styles could be tempting. ..Now that I've started with skirts I find myself drawn to the same styles, but including skirts.
It's an excellent starting point to start with an outfit you'd wear with trousers or shorts and then substitute a skirt in a similar fabric. Then from there you can grow.

There seem to be a tendancy that once you're comfortable in a skirt, you start looking for other accoutrements that go with a skirt, and because you only see (or remember) women wearing skirts, that tends to mean women's accoutrements like tights, heels, bags, and tops. But don't feel pressured in that direction or any other. Just be yourself and go at your own pace.

FWIW, in my experience, conservative tights, bags, tops draw very little attention over and above a skirt. Heels draw more attention but much, much more surprise than hostility.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron