Wearing a Skirt to Church

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Wearing a Skirt to Church

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am using this thread to discuss a particular social style of dressing...This is rather more a discussion than a social problem.
I used to go church on sunday with one of my partners...We use to go with her sister and her sister's family.
My partner always looked smart in her traditional skirt suit.....If I had been skirt wearing in the style in which I dress these days, how should I have
dressed ? .....in my male style pencil skirt suit.....which would have been the same style as my partner.....or in my pencil skirt with my male
harris tweed jacket ?............I would personally choose my male below the knee pencil skirt suit as I consider this is a more formal style of
dress for sunday wear....Probably in black or charcoal grey .....any suggestions or comments please.......this could be your decision , next sunday
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Wearing a Skirt to Church

Post by oldsalt1 »

I go to mass twice a week . Always on Sunday and at least one weekday mass.

For Sunday mass I still wear pants. That will change when I am ready . For the weekday mass Church is usually a stopping point on my way out for the day,>so what ever I am wearing that day I wear to church.

A lot of the times it is a skirt.

As a catholic there are times when participation in the mass is necessary. Sometimes I help light the mass candels and set up the alter, and there is also the part where you bring up the symbolic offerings up to the priest during the mass. After Mass there is also a brief period of socalizing as we are exiting the church. Never had a problem
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

A tasteful skirt suit in a dark colour (black tights) should be fine. I found this guy's one
7e6d14f8508de5db982bb0b843273844.jpg
rather fetching as the jacket is not too long so as to spoil the look of the skirt. The problem with men's jackets is the length (generally to cover the waist and zipper area), plus wearing a man's jacket with a skirt will look too jarring.

Harris Tweed kilt jackets aren't a bad idea but would look better with a kilt. Best thing is to go to M&S and try a skirt suit on, you may find the jacket may have to be a couple of sizes bigger than your skirt due to the generally thinner
cut around arms and shoulders. For instance I may wear a 14 jacket with a 10 skirt :wink:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I would agree that there are problems with the sizing and fit of the female jacket due to the male shoulders , chest , waist and hip dimensions.
There are also problems with the female skirt regarding the waist dimension relative to the close hip fitting of a pencil skirt.
I prefer to wear the hem of my pencil skirt below the knee. The vent handing in the back of the male pencil skirt would be opposite
to the handing of the female skirt.....Please remember I am taking about a correctly tailored male skirt.
I feel that for a male skirt suit to be correctly tailored for formal wear, ..........................................
the garment may need to be made from scratch to the male wearer's measurement......another expensive skirt outfit in the wardrobe.....weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

M & S market some very nice clothes . I have found many of their sizes are one size larger than those in other stores.......weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I tried wearing my Kilt jacket and waistcoat over my pencil skirt...this did not work as the Kilt jacket was measured to fit over a heavy Kilt with
the top of the waistband 2 inches above my waist.....Interesting to note one of my female skirt suits has a jacket in a light weight and is almost as long as a male Edwardian Jacket. The jacket has to be cut to fit neatly over the male hips of a male pencil skirt..............weeladdie
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

The church I sometimes go to is very casual on what is worn, so I wear almost any skirt I have except for my mini skirts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I am delieghted that we are discussing wearing skirts or skirt suits to church.....my original post was relative as to how we should dress when
accompanying a female partner to church when she is wearing her skirt suit.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

weeladdie18 wrote:I am delieghted that we are discussing wearing skirts or skirt suits to church.....my original post was relative as to how we should dress when accompanying a female partner to church when she is wearing her skirt suit.
Rule #1: Don't obsess over it.

Rule #2: Wear whatever your partner is accepting of, as long as it includes a skirt.

Rule #3: Dress in line with casual/formal in accordance with other people in the congregational.

Rule #4: If the preceding rules don't provide enough guidance, wear something less than a cocktail dress but more than a denim skirt and t-shirt.

FWIW, I've been wearing skirts (and tights and heels) to a Catholic parish for about a year and a half now and ever had a negative comment. I'm like, "Oh yeah, that's that guy who always wears a skirt."
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

CAULTRON Yes...I think you are correct...I think we have won our confidence when we are accepted as a "man in a skirt ".....there does not
seem to be any strange reason why we wear skirts.....Personally I just prefer to wear skirts.

The logic I am trying to explore from a situation in the old days is this......In the old days my partner chose to wear a skirt suit to Church.....
Should I wear a male skirt suit or a skirt and a sports jacket. ...I am trying to make this decision before I discuss it with she who must be obeyed.

I think the bottom line is "would it be generally acceptable if there was a family party of males and females in a church congregation and both the males and females wore smart skirt suits " ..........?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I have to admit that I haven't been able to go to a Sunday mass yet in a skirt. Weekday yes Sunday no. This is my opinion . If you are dressing for church. (the old saying "wearing your Sunday Best")

I skirt suit is a refined garment. Putting on a skirt and throwing a sports jacket over it doesn't come up to the same level.

If you put on a nice skirt a top and a regular jacket over it it's one thing. But if you are wearing a sport coat over a skirt , go the whole route and wear a suit.
hairy
Member Extraordinaire

Post by hairy »

oldsalt1 wrote:I go to mass twice a week . Always on Sunday and at least one weekday mass.

For Sunday mass I still wear pants. That will change when I am ready . For the weekday mass Church is usually a stopping point on my way out for the day,>so what ever I am wearing that day I wear to church.

A lot of the times it is a skirt.

As a catholic there are times when participation in the mass is necessary. Sometimes I help light the mass candels and set up the alter, and there is also the part where you bring up the symbolic offerings up to the priest during the mass. After Mass there is also a brief period of socalizing as we are exiting the church. Never had a problem
Why should there be a problem, priests wear skirts don't they?
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

I disagree with that statement. NO priests don't wear skirts. The garments that they wear may resemble togas and robes , But they are not meant to de considered as skirts, or dresses. and all priests that I know wear pants under them. Its the same case when judges wear robes. They are not meant to be misconstrued. as dresses.

When I was growing up I was an alter boy and we wore cassocks and they were never considered as dresses. In my opinion there is no way that the garments worn in religious circumstances have anything remotly to do with men wearing skirts.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

weeladdie18 wrote:...would it be generally acceptable if there was a family party of males and females in a church congregation and both the males and females wore smart skirt suits?"
I suspect that can only be answered by, "she who must be obeyed."

The tricky part is asking the question without asking permission, putting her in control, or triggering long-term oposition.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

oldsalt1 wrote:I disagree with that statement. NO priests don't wear skirts. The garments that they wear may resemble togas and robes , But they are not meant to de considered as skirts, or dresses. and all priests that I know wear pants under them. Its the same case when judges wear robes. They are not meant to be misconstrued. as dresses.

When I was growing up I was an alter boy and we wore cassocks and they were never considered as dresses. In my opinion there is no way that the garments worn in religious circumstances have anything remotly to do with men wearing skirts.
Well, OK, but you have to admit that both cassocks and friar's robes are unbifurcatted.

Just sayin'.

caultron