Where Do we Draw the Line ?

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Re: Where Do we Draw the Line ?

Post by weeladdie18 »

weeladdie18 wrote:Perhaps it depends on how one intends to wear these garments .
I found a T Shirt style black dress which is not acceptable for summer wear but will make a warm undergarment for the winter.......weeladdie
I also found a couple of above the knee mini skirts and a skater skirt in T Shirt material.........................
Not what I would personally wear out on the street.... but nice warm under skirts for the cooler weather.

Well done Sinned on your gifts from S.W.M.B.O. .......Never look a gift horse in the mouth ...................weeladdie
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Thanks WL, I accept any relaxation in the straight jacket the thinks that I should inhabit. I wear skirts around the house often and she rarely makes any comment now [1]. That doesn't mean that when she's upset with me that she doesn't rant on about my skirts. I just let her get it out of her system, keep my mouth shut, keep out of her way and let her cool down. Once rational [0] she acts as if nothing untoward has happened. I've learned some measure of how to handle her tantrums. The entirely wrong thing to do is rant back. Since we are a similar size, but not height, I have wondered what she would do or say if I, say, wore something of hers that she currently wears. Just a self-destructive thought that's gone through my head. :twisted:

[0] If rationality is part of any woman's makeup. Said tongue in cheek but still ducks head under chair with hands on head.
[1] I've started wearing one of the LBD's she gave me under a top to disguise the fact and she hasn't noticed yet. She has other dresses that I would love to wear and would possibly suit me but that's not a topic I could raise with her.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

It ain't easy, you have to take it one step at a time. What you have to try to do is get her to put on one of your skirts. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

Sinned wrote:I think that it is agreed that we each have a "line" that depends upon out environment, experiences, family ( especially spouses ), personality, taste and upbringing. But I find that my line currently excludes, dresses [0], florals, peripherals such as frills, midi and maxi skirts, shoes[1] and some others. BUT the "line" or boundary isn't static. I have included in my wardrobe cami tops, vests, a few dresses [2] something that I would have not thought possible a year ago. So my boundaries are increasing as I learn and develop. I have seen it do so with many of you also. In summary we each have our own line or boundary and we push that at our own pace.

[0] For the most part partly because of my build, big shoulders, and finding something suitable.
[1] I have some shoes that I really like, bought early on when I thought that you had to go the whole way to wear a skirt. I would like to wear them but friction with MOH is the stumbling block.
[2] MOH donated some dresses to me that she considered too short for her and these could be considers sleeveless LBD's and longer versions of T-shirts and vests.
Can't you team said shoes with an LBD for a night out to dinner? :?:

We all have different levels of comfort :wink:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Going back to my introduction of this thread which I started, perhaps my latest observations today may be of interest to Sinned.
The issue is not the style of the clothes but the colour.....I saw a lassie today wearing an early sixties style of skirt which I could wear
as a "man in a skirt ".....then I thought ..." Perhaps that pattern is too red for me.....I then considered her pink Top, Cardigan in
one shade of red , and jacket in a second shade of red. Before the swinging sixties it was not done to wear closely matching
co ordinating colours ......before that time it was not done for men to wear pink frilly shirts or black shirts with a tie.

Perhaps it is the colour of the items in a skirt outfit which upsets other skirt wearers ,possibly of the opposite gender.
Colours matches are often seen as passive or agressive .......yellow and black is angry, like a wasp.

The reason why I did not feel I could wear that simple early sixties style outfit was because I did not like the colour co ordination.
The other problem is to get the colours of one outfit to match the colours of the partners outfit. ......
Just a random thought for the evening..............................weeladdie.
skirtingtheissue
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtingtheissue »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:So have no fear, you can dress as girly as YOU please and your masculinity will still shine through. My only suggestion is that whatever you wear, make sure it expresses your genuine self.
This is my philosophy well stated. I draw the line at clothes that just aren't me! I can spend a lot of time browsing through the women's aisles in department stores and finding very little that appeals to my taste. But then I might find something that "clicks"... "Hey - I really like that." And it might be a fairly plain skirt, for reasons of practicality; or it might be a floral and flouncy one, for the sheer joy of wearing it.

No matter which kind of skirt I wear out and about, my masculinity does shine through since I do nothing above the neck to alter my appearance. And my freestyling outfits really do express my genuine self and give me a positive, happy, confident, self-assured attitude.

-----Henry
When I heard about skirting, I jumped in with both feet!
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

This is a question I ask myself, usually when buying something. I guess there is a line for outside in the wild, but at home I think anything goes. There is the issue of age appropriate as well. What works for a 25 YO might not be as nice for a 65 YO (though so far I haven't had a problem.).

I find myself drawn to so called "Hiking" skirts. I find that they are usually a bit masculine in materials and design, and longer, so that always works where I live (Central Massachusetts). I now have many skirts, but all of them are suitable for hiking and camping (by the way, nothing is easier than just wrapping a skirt when leaving the tent at late night bathroom runs).

Around the house and neighborhood I have no problem being in shorter, and lighter skirts. Everyone knows that I wear these, and while they might
or might not approve, it isn't a big deal to them anymore.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

kilty, I would love to but since a skirt is forbidden out of doors in her presence [0] then a dress would be more so, especially a LBD, even one she donated. Oh how I would love to but I have never worn my shoes outside. With them having a heel I sometimes wear them indoors [1] to gain confidence and balance. I think I would be conspicuous teetering about and falling over in them. Wearing them is a bit of an art for me yet.

[0] Rules don't apply when she's not around.
[1] When she isn't around.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Yonkas
Distinguished Member

Post by Yonkas »

I know I am late to this post, but let me just begin with the following image:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-czW31bSnRAM/T ... kimono.jpg

The garment to the left is pink, made of silk, worn by a man, and most importantly, is made for a man.

I don't think very many people would think that the gentleman in that picture is trying to pass as a woman.

The Hanfu is my favorite go-to garment for challenging the idea that a man can't wear beautiful clothing with elements considered feminine by western society's arbitrary standards.

I am with Moonshadow, and others, who have chimed in: you should wear what you enjoy, and what you think looks good on you. If you look in the mirror, and are happy with what you see, how you feel, and are prepared for the consequences of wearing it in public, then go for it!

Just recently, I started wearing dresses in public. The first dress I chose to do this is this:
https://www.dressbarn.com/plus-size-sea ... mendations

I chose it, because I think it looks good on me, if I wear a black cardigan with it. (I have a mustache, and beard, by the way, so I don't think anyone could accuse me of trying to pass as a woman, either.)

Believe me, it took courage to do so, and many exasperating days of chickening out, after almost wearing it to work. But, when I was able to, I felt better than ever, and I also feel my sense of fashion has improved from it.

As others have mentioned, there aren't any fashion rules for us to follow. We are the trailblazers. (With the exception, perhaps, of color matching...I still can't get the hang of that beyond matching neutrals with 1 color/pattern)

If you want to wear a skirt that has no so-called feminine traits, then have at it. If you want to go out dressed in flowers, frills, and jewelry, but aren't ready for any negative consequences, then, nobody will blame you for keeping your skirts "manly," or shame you as a "coward." However, if you think a floral dress with a gathered, knee length skirt flatters your body, and your only obstacle is your self-assessment of being a "sissy," don't let that stop you. Don't let society's arbitrary gender roles tell you who you are. You know who you are, and it is so much bigger than the box society tries to stuff you into.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Well said yonkas . I certainly feel I can wear anything I choose. ...However what I am trying to wear is a skirt outfit which looks
masculine , not feminine....To give you an example
SkirtsDad
Member Extraordinaire

Post by SkirtsDad »

weeladdie18 wrote:Well said yonkas . I certainly feel I can wear anything I choose. ...However what I am trying to wear is a skirt outfit which looks
What is masculine?
mishawakaskirt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by mishawakaskirt »

SkirtsDad wrote:
What is masculine?
Anything women don't want to wear.
We get what's leftover.
Mishawakaskirt @2wayskirt on Twitter

Avoid the middle man, wear a kilt or skirt.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

That's a very stylish dress and appeals to my sense of taste. You are right, a black cardigan would look good with it as would white. Good for you, the more we wear what we want to wear the more it will seem normal for us to wear them. Bravissimo!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Yonkas wrote: As others have mentioned, there aren't any fashion rules for us to follow.

Wrong There is one fashion rule for us all to follow , and you mentioned it in your post BEFORE YOU GO OUT LOOK IN THE MIRROR
Last edited by Uncle Al on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed BBCode Quoting Format
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

SkirtsDad wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:Well said yonkas . I certainly feel I can wear anything I choose. ...However what I am trying to wear is a skirt outfit which looks
What is masculine?
I had an I T problem with windows 8.1. and did not complete this post....... In the heat of the summer I wore my collection of traditional
summer skirts . A different full below the knee summer skirt. I prefered the elasticated waist as it took its own form to the hips.

I completed the skirt outfit with all my male clothes and a pair of male style sandels and a male tweed sports jacket with plenty of pockets.
I often showed my maleness by wearing a drovers sporran on my belt...........this accessory is ideal for carrying my glasses.
I looked like a ... "man in a skirt " and not like a man who was wearing the clothes which the female wears out on the street.

In the Autumn I might wear the same male clothes with a thick roll neck sweater and a below the knee pencil skirt.
It is not usual so see the female out on the street in either a pencil skirt or a summer skirt.
I do not see females wearing male sports jackets with their outfits.

If you wish to consider my skirt outfit further. Check the complete outfit which the female is wearing out on the street.
I have developed a completely different style of attire to both the male and the female out on the street.
How you draw the line is your choice. .....I will admit that I am wearing skirts which were marketed for the female.
However the female is rarely seen wearing these two styles of skirt.