When will men wear women's clothing...

Discussion of fashion elements and looks that are traditionally considered somewhat "femme" but are presented in a masculine context. This is NOT about transvestism or crossdressing.
Grok
Member Extraordinaire

Re: When will men wear women's clothing...

Post by Grok »

I looked at the web site for Purple Rain skirts. I noticed that their "kilts" are described as Unisex.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

The recent warm summer weather has brought more lassies out on the street wearing summer skirts with no tights or leggings.
I am quite happy out on the street wearing my summer skirts. There again this is a comfortable way of life for me.

However I am retiring into a world where I do not consider it is practical to wear skirts in some circumstances.
I recently bought a pair of new summer shorts . I feel they are pretty vile and uncomfortable ....But they are popular and everyone
is wearing them.....some lassies wear nice short pencil shaped skirts

Perhaps the answer is that there is no accounting for personal taste with regard to any fashion on the market.
The great unwashed just pull on their clothes and get on with their uncreative lives............

We as a male group ........just wear the skirt we wish to wear.....we will not change the world..............weeladdie
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

weeladdie18 wrote:We as a male group ........just wear the skirt we wish to wear.....we will not change the world.
Ah, but there's the rub. True, we may not change the wider world, but we certainly change the local environment we inhabit -- and we do so by simply being ourselves. Whether we are reviled, celebrated, or merely tolerated, by our simple presence and our behaviours we alter the perception of those around us -- and more so by actively interacting with those around us.

So, don't sell one's self short. We certainly do make a difference, and most folks, once they think about it, respect that.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

We may actively interact with those around us but from my observation we have not changed the sighting percentage regarding
"sightings in the wild " ....Perhaps there are more men in skirts locally out in the wild but perhaps I have not been to their skirt wearing
location.

Have any of our friends spotted more men in skirts recently in their personal location ? ? ? ? weeladdie
FranTastic444
Member Extraordinaire

Post by FranTastic444 »

weeladdie18 wrote:
Have any of our friends spotted more men in skirts recently in their personal location ? ? ? ? weeladdie
I wonder whether I've been missing sightings all of these years because I haven't been looking for them??? Since joining this forum I'm definitely more aware of what people around me are wearing - I'm just about to add another one to the spotted thread.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

weeladdie18 wrote:We may actively interact with those around us but from my observation we have not changed the sighting percentage regarding
"sightings in the wild " ....Perhaps there are more men in skirts locally out in the wild but perhaps I have not been to their skirt wearing
location.

Feel free to visit me. I wear skirts and dresses 24/7 :mrgreen:
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
WesleyN
Member Extraordinaire

Post by WesleyN »

I tried it all. But indeed you can say: If the clothes bought by men and for themselves. It will men's clothing. My wife can't wear my clothes. And mine clothes will be men's clothing. But who cares. I bought clothes when I like it. I choose my clothes. And nobody else.
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

I only occasionally see other men in skirts, though nothing like the Summer of 2015, but to me that's not the point.

I feel that every time any one of us goes out in public in a skirt, we are adding to the normalization of people being their genuine selves and doing and wearing what they please.

If I am right, we are doing PLENTY to change the world and for the better. Looked at from that perspective, why should we take the number of other men we see in skirts as a measure of our success? Or care one fig if ANYONE of ANY social class adopts our manner of dress?

I don't care about those things. I do feel encouraged that more men are complimenting me on my appearance than in my beginning. That's definitely progress.

My message, be yourself, is getting across!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
Rokje
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Rokje »

Yes it is a skirt for men, sold without the trousers.

https://www.zara.com/be/en/wrap-skirt-p ... v2=1079150

Although i'm a transgender woman now I started out wearing skirts and dresses before my outing being transgender.
Be proud to wear a skirt or dress, they are just clothes. Yes , they are for men too
I'm Marica, I'm a 59 year old girl.
Learning Norwegian: Jeg er Marica.

8)
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

While I'm sure we have heard this before, (and I think I saw this somewhere else on this board) I just read an article in GQ, "2019 Is the Year Men Will Start Wearing Skirts". It was pretty good.

I also notice that they mention Mark Jacobs. He is a great designer (at least I think so) who wears skirts regularly ( so I imagine everyone here has possibly heard of him before) I really like his style and choices.
MarkJacobs.JPG
Here is the link:
https://www.gq.com/story/mens-skirts
Here is another picture from the article, I also like this one (I guess my tastes are broad):
Sabastian Kim.JPG
AND to top it off I am sneaking a picture of myself out and about:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Jim »

I think the last outfit, yours lazerr, looks best.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

When will we stop the nonsense of giving a piece of woven fabric a gender or a sexual designation?? Just because some idiot in the past decided that men should only wear one thing and women should wear the other. Why should we keep up this farce?? All it does is make it hard for people to wear what is for them very comfortable clothing.
LET US TEAR DOWN THOSE LABELS!!!
:thewave: :thewave:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
STEVIE
Member Extraordinaire

Post by STEVIE »

Fred in Skirts wrote:LET US TEAR DOWN THOSE LABELS!!!
When I wear a skirt it does not belong to a woman, it is MINE!
Steve.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

STEVIE wrote:
Fred in Skirts wrote:LET US TEAR DOWN THOSE LABELS!!!
When I wear a skirt it does not belong to a woman, it is MINE!
Steve.
We were using your logic over twenty years ago ..... If I was wearing.... A Mine ....
the world at large might wonder if..... Mine... was likely to explode or if my garment had been defused......
If I knew anything about dressmaking ....I could make a Bomb out of my skirt..............L O L .......................Sorry

In ancient languages the Male did not wear a Skirt....So what did the ancient Gallic male wear before his Kilt was invented....A Lien ?
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:...why should we take the number of other men we see in skirts as a measure of our success? Or care one fig if ANYONE of ANY social class adopts our manner of dress?

I don't care about those things. I do feel encouraged that more men are complimenting me on my appearance than in my beginning. That's definitely progress.
Ah, so you do care.

I think it is possible to misread someone else's statements of "caring" too strongly, putting the wrong emotional emphasis on lines of text on a screen, or even in a video. I care about whether there is uptake of style freedom for men for a number reasons, but I don't lose any sleep over it, or turn it into my reason for being. It interests me more than it concerns me...especially now that I've discovered just how little there is of the negative reaction I once expected from the world. Of course, a lot of that negative reaction is hidden.

For example, I recently discovered that my mother's disapproval has a source; a man in her senior's complex who always makes a snyde remark to her about my attire after I drop her off, if he sees me and catches her on the way to the elevator (which is quite frequently since he is a foyer troll). She blames me for the discomfort she feels, because I am the one doing the unusual thing that gives the man the opportunity to say something toxic. That's a generational habit that I plan to put an end to in that one instance, and I do care deeply about that. I'm still measuring how to handle it, but I won't leave it alone now that I know.

Of course, I might have understated that "reason for being" bit. Once retired, just about every pastime becomes something of a reason for being. I detect a cultural problem here that is unfair and systemic, and I have time to kill, so why not make a mission of it? I've burnt half the winter making a new sequencer. Changing the world is just another act of creativity. Some people paint, some people paint by numbers, and some people turn pictures into paint-by-numbers kits. There's room for all of them.
Daryl...