New Here

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

New Here

Post by Dust »

Hello!

I've been wearing Utilikilts and similar garments in public for a decade or so. Nowhere near full time, but when I can.

While I'm new to posing on the cafe, I spotted this site years ago, and would read a bit, walk away, come back again after a while. Interesting discussions, so I finally decided to register and see I can add a bit, at least if I have anything to add. I don't agree with everything I've read here, but this place seems remarkably civil and thoughtful, which is great, and quite rare. I plan to read a lot more than I post, and hopefully add a bit down the road.
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Re: New Here

Post by Sinned »

Hi there Dust and welcome to the site. I don't agree with everything either and some of the things jar with my experience and upbringing. But hey, we can't all like the same things. Some of the things worn, particularly peripheral to skirt wearing, I just can't see me wearing but then they seem to suit others so who am I to say that they can't be worn? Drop in and contribute but sometimes just let us know a bit of your background and experiences.
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

:welcome:

Welcome Dust to the cafe. We are a friendly group of folks that like to wear skirts and or kilts. And even a few of us wear dresses. In a group as large as ours there will be things we don't agree with but we try not to be mean about it. We have conversations that are quite pleasant to discuss them.
So tell us more about yourself and do join in your input is always welcome.

Fred
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
crfriend
Master Barista

Post by crfriend »

First and foremost, welcome aboard.
Dust wrote:I don't agree with everything I've read here, but this place seems remarkably civil and thoughtful, which is great, and quite rare.
If you put more than one person in a room it's almost a certainty that they will not agree on everything. 'Tis the way of the world. How they handle disagreements is key. As one of the moderation team I can quite proudly say that this is one of the more civilised places on the 'Net. We disagree on lots of things, sometimes vehemently -- where the genius comes in is that we're mature enough that we can "agree to disagree" and still remain civil to one another.

Ideas are open to debate, and sometimes vigorous debate. What's not open game is personal invective, and the place is astonishingly good at observing that dictum. We have a world-wide viewpoint with voices scattered so far and wide that the sun never sets on us. So there's a lot to read and, perhaps, learn from. Sometimes we wander from the topic at hand, but conversations in the physical world do that too; it's healthy.
I plan to read a lot more than I post, and hopefully add a bit down the road.
Read, certainly, but do not hesitate to make yourself heard. The place is peopled with surprisingly open minds, but, as in any wide setting, expect some level of disagreement. It's a reflection of real life.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire

Post by oldsalt1 »

Welcome to the Café.

I think you will find that we have a pretty diverse population.

WE have our agreements and disagreements For the most part we have been friendly and extremely helpful as many of us are exploring a completely unique area.

Please post your Ideas and comments.

What part of the world are you from.
moonshadow
Member Extraordinaire

Post by moonshadow »

Yep... I'd agree, Skirt Cafe is probably the only place on the net where the members remain civil and gentlemanly, even during disputes....

Not sure what sets us apart from the rest of the internet population. It's ironic that the theme of this site is "men in skirts" including freestylers. Many out in the real world would consider us somewhat "freaks of society", "sissies" and so forth... and yet the members on this site are some of the most gentleman like men I've ever read....

Though the site has thousands of members, I'd say only 15-20 are active at any given time. 80% of that 15-20 have been active for several years and probably aren't going anywhere. I won't mention names because I don't want to accidentally leave anyone out... but yes, this is a great little online space, which is why I spend so much time here.
-Andrea
The old hillbilly from the coal fields of the Appalachian mountains currently living like there's no tomorrow on the west coast.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Welcome Dust. You are free to pass comment on any thread. Please tell us a bit about yourself and your location in the World .
It is interesting to see how styles of skirting vary from location to location.....I am pretty much on my own , following my own
" Man in a Skirt " styles in S. W. U.K. .....I have not personally seen another " Man in a Skirt " for over a year.
In one of the recent popular threads we described how we individually became interested in our skirting or Kilting activities.
Some of the younger members are more active than many of us were forty years ago when we were young.....best of luck...weeladdie
Dust
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Dust »

Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome, guys. I didn't think I'd get that much back on a first post.

I'm from, and still in, the good old US of A. So I spell things without the extra letters, and use "pants" to mean "trousers". I do appreciate and understand a fair number of British-isms, though. Like saying something is "pants" to mean it's bad. I still get a chuckle out of that...

As far as disagreements, I was told once that anytime you have two people in a room together, you've got politics.

I read the rules on what's allowed here for discussion, and I appreciate the limits. They are probably part of what keeps the place civil. I've been on other (completely unrelated) forums and seen flame wars. Not pretty. One forum just let them go on to over a hundred pages! Another had moderators stomp them out, but they would just resurface in another thread. I'm not sure what makes this place different, but I don't want to be the one to break it. Civil disagreements and discussion seems to be in woefully short supply these days...
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

Hello and welcome, Dust. And keep up the good work!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Dust, if you read any of the posts you'll realise that the rules aren't really rules, just guidelines, at least I treat them as such. We do break them from time to time but don't labour the deviations from the norm. Moderators are fairly tolerant and step in when things are getting a little heated. So yes, sit back under the potted palm, latte in hand and join in. I find it a bit iterating when newbies introduce themselves then disappear into a black hole. 8)
I believe in offering every assistance short of actual help but then mainly just want to be left to be myself in all my difference and uniqueness.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire

Post by lazerr »

Hi:
That's what I like about this board.... It is very diverse in the different ways people approach the skirt wearing experience. Look forward to new posts..
Sinned
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Sinned »

Welcome lazerr, it's nice to know that our clientele is increasing and please do contribute. It's disheartening when people pop up only to disappear into a black hole. Let us know of your experiences, how you come to like skirting, how supportive your family is, what styles you like and so on. We are diverse and have our own styles which aren't always to each others tastes but, hey, we're individuals and have the right to them. We are each making our way in an area where there previously were no rules so how can we break them?
unfork

Post by unfork »

The "civil disagreements", as it has been put, it is also one of the things I have found attractive about this site and ultimately induced me to post (with great moderation, but thats just me).

I think everyone here sees himself as a socital rule-breaker, and realises that his desired alternative (fashion) standards, are not necessarily everyone elses and it is hence quite accepting of other people choices no matter how "extreme" or "conservative" they may appear to his eyes. We all want and advocate freedom of expression and we do it be exercising amongst ourslef first.

The optimistic me finds this a great example of how all conflicts in society should be handled, the more pessimistic me thinks that if it so rare to find a group of people that can have civil conversation about something so irrelevant as how colths should wrapped around ones body we are pretty muched doomed. I am still trying to be optimistic though.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

unfork wrote:...We all want and advocate freedom of expression and we do it be exercising amongst ourslef first...
Exactly.
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Skirted at hom

Post by Skirted at hom »

A little late but welcome Dust to this wonderful place from Central Illinois.