wearing summer skirts in falling temperatures

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Re: wearing summer skirts in falling temperatures

Post by Kilty »

Sinned wrote:"I don't get hurricanes up my alley...." Ooer, missus. Ventilation is fine but do you get breezy on a windy day? :lol:
The odd hurricane up one's alley is quite refreshing after a hot commute to work :oops: whilst in my stretchy navy skirt, I put an office fan under my desk during the last heatwave... felt delightful :mrgreen:

Summer skirts need a slip if not lined, even with lining, it adds a layer of warmth. Whilst kilted the cold is not an issue having 8 yards of wool wrapped around you, plus chunky socks :wink:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I have never had much luck with " stay ups or self supporting stockings. " .... probably because I have small male thieghs and not the larger female thiegh to match my small shoe size .Self support woollen socks or stockings are ok ...stockings in 15 or 50 dernier.......1 can wear 15 dernier in
black without shaving my legs. ....Natural tan are sometimes an odd colour. I only wear these new fangled tights in really cold weather.
Might try wearing boots with leggings under my skirts in a really cold spell. I do like my calf length boots with no side zip...bit like riggers boots.
I do have a pair of zip up below the knee flat soled boots. Boots do keep the legs and ankles warm.....Certainly a below the knee overcoat is a good
idea.
JeffB1959
Member Extraordinaire

Post by JeffB1959 »

I have lighter skirts for spring and summer and heavier fabrics for fall and winter. I also wear tights and leggings in colder weather, often with knee boots and I stay nice and warm.
I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

weeladdie18 wrote:With autumn coming on .....only a couple of weeks away ....temperatures falling ....leaves turning colour on the trees ...Autumn mist ....
drizzle and fog.....I am still wearing my full brightly coloured Traditional Summer Skirts .....very full with hem below the knees
and elasticated waist band.
To combat falling temperatures two or three skirts are worn on top of each other with knee length T Shirts or Night Shirts.

Thicker draws are worn with bare legs and sandels. ....layers of woolly sweaters and cardigans......plus my traditional male sports jacket.
As the day becomes warmer ...up to say 20 C to possibly 25 C the layers are peeled off.

The idea of this plan is to wear summer skirts out of doors until Autumn and Winter are really with us in S.W. U.K. ............. weeladdie
1 October was a colder morning so I went out of my home wearing an Autumn Weight Tweed Pencil Skirt with the hem above my Knees,
bare legs and sandels. .......the day did warm up when the sun came out.....I was comfortable in my first stab at an Autumn skirt outfit.
I certainly did not feel the cool breeze which blew up my summer skirts.
This Autumn is warmer as I usually start wearing stockings in the middle of September . ......This year I am still bare legged in October.
More wind is forecast for today......Might interrupt our afternoon sailing .
Wind possibly gusting gale force with rain on Saturday..............Typical weekend weather. ...............weeladdie
Kilty
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilty »

weeladdie18 wrote:
weeladdie18 wrote:With autumn coming on .....only a couple of weeks away ....temperatures falling ....leaves turning colour on the trees ...Autumn mist ....
drizzle and fog.....I am still wearing my full brightly coloured Traditional Summer Skirts .....very full with hem below the knees
and elasticated waist band.
To combat falling temperatures two or three skirts are worn on top of each other with knee length T Shirts or Night Shirts.

Thicker draws are worn with bare legs and sandels. ....layers of woolly sweaters and cardigans......plus my traditional male sports jacket.
As the day becomes warmer ...up to say 20 C to possibly 25 C the layers are peeled off.

The idea of this plan is to wear summer skirts out of doors until Autumn and Winter are really with us in S.W. U.K. ............. weeladdie
1 October was a colder morning so I went out of my home wearing an Autumn Weight Tweed Pencil Skirt with the hem above my Knees,
bare legs and sandels. .......the day did warm up when the sun came out.....I was comfortable in my first stab at an Autumn skirt outfit.
I certainly did not feel the cool breeze which blew up my summer skirts.
This Autumn is warmer as I usually start wearing stockings in the middle of September . ......This year I am still bare legged in October.
More wind is forecast for today......Might interrupt our afternoon sailing .
Wind possibly gusting gale force with rain on Saturday..............Typical weekend weather. ...............weeladdie
I have a tweed pencil skirt too, with a shorter A line one on order, that I will wear with thick tights and boots for warmth 8) Would love to see a pic of your ensemble, a picture paints 256kb a thousand words :mrgreen:
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Thank you Kilty , for your comments .I found an Autumn Skirt in my collection to wear today. ..Tweed knee length pencil shaped skirt with
front panel like a Kilt Apron and 13 box pleats coming up approx. 4 inches above the knee . Comfortable and warm to wear with a black
roll neck sweater , my harris tweed sports jacket and my trusty drovers sporran.....black turned down ankle sox ,from across the isle ,
in my small foot size and my school boys black lace up shoes. .....In my opinion this skirt outfit ,mainly from the Charity Shops ,
might be mistaken for a Kilt Outfit.... again no comment from " the street ".
The comment I would make to a " Newbie " is that by just putting a Skirt Outfit together , one can unintentionally produce a Skirt Outfit
which might be mistaken for an older style of male dress.
I only saw three lassies wearing skirts today. ....temperature down to 15 C this morning ...........weeladdie
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

I went into a local shop in the village square wearing a black pinstripe below the knee pencil skirt..two sweaters ,
a Harris Tweed male sports jacket ...and my flat soled knee high boots.....

I said to the young lad behind the Counter , " Please can you help me. I left my car outside the pub and I cannot find it...."
He went to the door and saw a line of 12 vintage Alvis Sports Cars............

My favourite was a 1930's model with a bench seat, ...all the bodywork covered in leather ....The body was a swallow tail coupe with
the top of the rear body made like the laid wooden deck of a ship......wire wheels and racing wing nuts on the hubs....

This will bring back old memories for the petrol heads...............weeladdie
Kirbstone
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kirbstone »

Our old Alvis 1250 from 1928 actually competed at Le Mans as an open two-seater. By the time I got hold of her she was clad as a four-seat tourer with hood and side screens.
I sold her to a neighbour to help meet school fees when that burden was thrust upon me. She'd be worth a fortune, no doubt now.

Tom
Carpe Diem......Seize the Day !
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Kirbstone wrote:Our old Alvis 1250 from 1928 actually competed at Le Mans as an open two-seater. By the time I got hold of her she was clad as a four-seat tourer with hood and side screens.
I sold her to a neighbour to help meet school fees when that burden was thrust upon me. She'd be worth a fortune, no doubt now.

Tom
One of the Alvis cars looked like a small scale sizes 1928 Bentley.......another looked like the 1932 Austin 16 . A pair of pull down
seats in the rear compartment, attached to the front seats and facing the rear seats. The local garage had a pair of these vehicles for the
school contract.

Those were the days when the High School Girls wore summer dresses in the summer term , and Gym Slips ,white blouse and school tie
for the rest of the year....with a school blazer and a straw hat.