Hi from Iowa

If you're new to the Cafe, please grab a seat by the potted palm, settle down with a nice big latte, and tell us a little bit about yourself. Please also look here for forum principles and rules.

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:07 am

Caultron wrote:Welcome, voodoomagic!

As others have mentioned, you're very lucky to have such a supportive wife. Before the incident in the hot garage, had she ever suggested any other traditionally female clothing. mannerisms, or activities?

Is there anywhere you won't wear a skirt?



Thanks Caultron nice to meet you, and no she never mentioned anything about the skirt or anything else before. When she came out with this flowery patterned below the knee skirt, and asked if I would wear it, I just rolled my eyes. She said it was her mothers and thought I would be more comfortable with it. So I said it was to long and would you cut it off at the knees? She said yes and to put it on and she cut if off.
Yes and the only place I won't wear them is at work, dress code deems I wear protective clothing from the steel I work with. Other then that nope.
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby Caultron » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:16 pm

voodoomagic wrote:...no she never mentioned anything about the skirt or anything else before. When she came out with this flowery patterned below the knee skirt, and asked if I would wear it, I just rolled my eyes. She said it was her mothers and thought I would be more comfortable with it. So I said it was to long and would you cut it off at the knees? She said yes and to put it on and she cut if off...

Wow, just out of the blue, then, eh? I wonder what her thought process was. Does she normally enjoy being unconventional?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4122
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby Pdxfashionpioneer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:07 am

Hello Voodoo,

Welcome! Good for you that you're not afraid to take your wife's advice and not afraid to be yourself.

You're the envy of us all; getting into this on the suggestion of your wife!!
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.
User avatar
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 1074
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:39 am
Location: Portland, OR, USA

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:45 am

Caultron wrote:
voodoomagic wrote:...no she never mentioned anything about the skirt or anything else before. When she came out with this flowery patterned below the knee skirt, and asked if I would wear it, I just rolled my eyes. She said it was her mothers and thought I would be more comfortable with it. So I said it was to long and would you cut it off at the knees? She said yes and to put it on and she cut if off...

Wow, just out of the blue, then, eh? I wonder what her thought process was. Does she normally enjoy being unconventional?


Caultron, the wife is a really out going person. Unconventional yes, I think she likes trying new things, as when she was younger she never had anybody that would try with her. And I'm willing to try new things with her. So we are a perfect match :D
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:51 am

Pdxfashionpioneer wrote:Hello Voodoo,

Welcome! Good for you that you're not afraid to take your wife's advice and not afraid to be yourself.

You're the envy of us all; getting into this on the suggestion of your wife!!


Thanks Pdxfashionpioneer
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby Skirted at hom » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:14 pm

From Central Illinois welcome Vooodomagic. It's wonderful that your wife is supportive of your wearing. Where in Iowa are you as come over to the Quad Cities to do some shopping on occassaion.
Skirted at hom
Member
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 pm
Location: Peoria Illinois

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby lazerr » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:47 pm

Great story! Happy that your wife is the one that first suggested it, that relieves you of trying to explain why. Also, I like the idea that you go out shopping together, I suppose my wife would too, but I haven't crossed that line yet. She supports my "hobby" and encourages me wearing skirts to certain events, but hasn't given me any fashion advice yet..

I suppose it can get cold in Iowa and the winter is coming. Have you any plans for winter yet? Last year (my first wearing my skirts) I was caught by surprise. I really liked the Elkommando Kilts, but once winter set in, that was it until spring (Massachusetts). This year I have bought a more traditional kilt (Stillwater Kilts)that is some sort of "Wool Acrylic" and so far it is lot's warmer. I also have wool knee high socks. I've been searching the Poshmark site for possible winter long skirts, but we will see.
lazerr
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:40 pm
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:35 am

Skirted at hom wrote:From Central Illinois welcome Vooodomagic. It's wonderful that your wife is supportive of your wearing. Where in Iowa are you as come over to the Quad Cities to do some shopping on occassaion.


Skirted at hom thanks for the welcoming, we live in the south east of Iowa and we do most of our shopping in Des Moines. They have quite a few thrift and consignment stores we like to visit.

]
Last edited by voodoomagic on Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:47 am

lazerr wrote:Great story! Happy that your wife is the one that first suggested it, that relieves you of trying to explain why. Also, I like the idea that you go out shopping together, I suppose my wife would too, but I haven't crossed that line yet. She supports my "hobby" and encourages me wearing skirts to certain events, but hasn't given me any fashion advice yet..

I suppose it can get cold in Iowa and the winter is coming. Have you any plans for winter yet? Last year (my first wearing my skirts) I was caught by surprise. I really liked the Elkommando Kilts, but once winter set in, that was it until spring (Massachusetts). This year I have bought a more traditional kilt (Stillwater Kilts)that is some sort of "Wool Acrylic" and so far it is lot's warmer. I also have wool knee high socks. I've been searching the Poshmark site for possible winter long skirts, but we will see.


Lazer thanks the wife is very supportive, at least your wife is supportive on some things. I don't know about the kilts yet they are a little pricey for me, but when you can find skirts for 4 dollars at thrift stores you can't be that. And my wife suggested in the winter to get some over the knee socks and some longer skirts. Winters here can get brutal so my plan is to get some longer skirts then some knee to over the knee socks and put layers on and go from there.
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby crfriend » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 am

voodoomagic wrote:Winters here can get brutal so my plan is to get some longer skirts then some knee to over the knee socks and put layers on and go from there.

Something else you might consider, if you wind up with some ankle-length skirts, is a heavy petticoat. Very frequently in New England winters I'll wear very long heavy skirts with a ruffled petticoat underneath and that usually keeps my lower half nice and warm. Stay away from the tulle and "fancy" petticoats and focus on heavy cottons or natural materials as they're warmer.
Retrocomputing -- It's not just a job, it's an adventure!
User avatar
crfriend
Master Barista
 
Posts: 10574
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:52 pm
Location: New England (U.S.)

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby oldsalt1 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:58 am

I'm from NY we get the cold weather after your done with it. Socks help to a point. Just get some tights. . They go from thin to fleeced lined. Buy a bunch of black and they go with just about anything.

Again glad the wife is on board. its such a help

Hey I remember I was in Iowa once it was in January 1967 My buddy and I were being transferred from Fort Knox Kentucky and was heading to Fort Lewis Washington. Speed limits were different then I don't think we were under 80 MPH the entire trip.

We did make one pitstop I remember there was a road side bar the sign in front said they had entertainment . It was for an underwater exerdeisest (I know I spelt that wrong" stripper" ) but she was only there on weekends.
User avatar
oldsalt1
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:25 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:11 am

Oldsalt I think you guys get more snow then we do, we just get all the cold and the wind chills. The speed limit now on interstate is 70 mph so you weren't to far off. And for the bars they are still around to :D
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:21 pm

Wow I am just blown away with how many hits this page is getting. After you been wearing skirts for the last few months I had to go work under the truck so instead of flashing everybody I put on a pair of pants.( Oh Caultron that is another place that I won't wear a skirt lol. ) So when I came back out she said that I looked funny in pants, made my day!
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby Caultron » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:02 pm

voodoomagic wrote:...I had to go work under the truck so instead of flashing everybody I put on a pair of pants.( Oh Caultron that is another place that I won't wear a skirt lol. )...

Hmmm, OK, for that. Was it traumatic?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
User avatar
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire
 
Posts: 4122
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:12 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Re: Hi from Iowa

Postby voodoomagic » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:18 pm

Caultron wrote:Hmmm, OK, for that. Was it traumatic?


Caultron, what wearing the pants, or flashing everybody? Wearing the pants was different, since I am use to wearing a skirt. Any case I was changing the rear seal on the pinion gear and I was going to be there a while, plus I didn't want to get my skirt dirty.
User avatar
voodoomagic
Distinguished Member
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:50 am

PreviousNext

Return to Introductions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests