Out and About -- In the World at Large

General discussion of skirt and kilt-based fashion for men, and stuff that goes with skirts and kilts.
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Re: Out and About -- In the World at Large

Post by Eborian »

Just going out to Wells this morning. I am wearing a long denim skirt with grey tights, a grey top and black boots.
Kilted_John
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Kilted_John »

Saturday was especially windy, due to some thunderstorm activity in the area. I wound up running some errands while wearing this outfit:

I did pull the black skirt down a little more, so it didn't show the pink one, of course. In any case, even though both skirts would be what you'd consider extremely lightweight, with the addition of a down vest that was zipped up to keep my upper half warm, they stayed pretty tame. Not much, if any thigh exposure. Might help a bit with those members who are finding that their normally tame skirts are getting unruly in the autumn weather.

Anyway, a phone pic of the weather I was dealing with (forgot to bring at least my DSLR with me):

-J
Skirted since 2/2002, kilted 8/2002-8/2011, and dressed since 9/2013...
flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/245gt-turbo
Charlie
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Charlie »

I've just finished stage managing a play at our local theatre. At the last night party where the plaudits are handed out, the director gave me a bottle of whiskey because, as he said, I wear a kilt. I've told him several times that I'm not Scottish. What's more, I don't really like whiskey and very, very rarely drink it. An unexpected spin-off just for wearing something that is comfortable :D
Charlie
(I wore trousers during the performance. The cast got really hot in their costumes and had the stage door open. There was a 'ell of a draught blowing in the wings.)
If I want to dress like a woman, I'll wear jeans.
skirtyscot
Member Extraordinaire

Post by skirtyscot »

If you were Scottish, you wouldn't spell it "whiskey"!
Keep on skirting,

Alastair
Bikerkilt
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Bikerkilt »

On Saturday I went to a blues concert with about 200 to 250 people their I saw a few collage girls in knee length skirts and one 30ish woman in a knee length skirt. It was in low 50s and blue jeans was the order of the day. They all look the same except some were wider then others.
weeladdie18
Member Extraordinaire

Post by weeladdie18 »

Today , being the second day of Autumn , I wore a below the knee T shirt style garment with one of my 1980's style sarongs. I found that
the undergarment prevented my sarong from falling to bits and exposing my right leg. It is worth noting that with the cooler weather no lassies
were wearing their skirts.
Weather was calm and sunny. Daytime temperature 20 C....Still good skirting weather. .................weeladdie
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Out yesterday wearing a long denim skirt with opaque tights and boots. Visited the City of Wells to do some shopping.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Eborian wrote:Out yesterday wearing a long denim skirt with opaque tights and boots. Visited the City of Wells to do some shopping.
Everything go OK?
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Eborian
Distinguished Member

Post by Eborian »

Everything went fine. Interacted with people in several shops, even talking about my choice of clothing. Nothing bad was said.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Eborian wrote:Everything went fine. Interacted with people in several shops, even talking about my choice of clothing. Nothing bad was said.
Excellent! Now repeat!
Courage, conviction, nerve, verve, dash, panache, guts, nuts, balls, gall, élan, stones, whatever. Get some and get skirted.

caultron
Daryl
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Daryl »

Kilted_John wrote:I did pull the black skirt down a little more, so it didn't show the pink one, of course. In any case, even though both skirts would be what you'd consider extremely lightweight, with the addition of a down vest that was zipped up to keep my upper half warm, they stayed pretty tame. Not much, if any thigh exposure. Might help a bit with those members who are finding that their normally tame skirts are getting unruly in the autumn weather.

Anyway, a phone pic of the weather I was dealing with (forgot to bring at least my DSLR with me):
I just love stark weather pics like those. So dramatic.

I actually like the pink peeking out from under the black. I like pink anyway but usually am not very subtle about it....full pink head-to-toe or nothing! Your pick has me considering some design with a deliberately showing lining or slip in a strongly contrasting colour.
Daryl...
Skirted at hom

Post by Skirted at hom »

This past summer as I traveled east I started to do so skirted usually leaving Sunday after church. It’s about a 600 mile drive from Peoria, Illinois to Western Pennsylvania. I travel to the Indiana/Ohio border where I spend the night in Richmond. As I travel this portion of the trip I’ve stopped to get gas, coffee at fast food, rest areas with no problem. Going into the motel to check in a few times there have been some waiting to check in. It seems nobody notices I am in a skirt even the clerk at the motel. I plan on going back in two weeks. Most of those trips I eat before I go and take something to snack on when I get to the motel. This time though since Olive Garden is having there never ending pasta bowl I plan on going there. I get to my destination around 7:00 or 7:30 pm. This time of night Olive Garden isn’t very busy I plan on wearing my skirt. What advice would you give me since this will be my first time in this sort of establishment? A second part to this I’ve only worn a skirt out and about in Peoria doing just a couple of quick errands. I’ve not gone into the mall or any of the big box stores I am sort of leery about doing this being the city where I live and not wanting to run into anyone I know. I like to go to Quad Cities for those who know this area a few times a year for some shopping trips. I go to the mall, a bite to eat and home. Any thoughts or advice about doing this skirted? If it helps most of my skirts are jean or khaki skirts nothing more formal if I can say it that way.
Fred in Skirts
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Fred in Skirts »

Skirted at hom, See my reply in traveling skirted. Happy Skirting!!! :rock:
"It is better to be hated for what you are than be loved for what you are not" Andre Gide: 1869 - 1951
Always be yourself because the people that matter don’t mind and the ones that mind don’t matter.
Caultron
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Caultron »

Skirted at hom wrote:...I’ve not gone into the mall or any of the big box stores I am sort of leery about doing this being the city where I live and not wanting to run into anyone I know. I like to go to Quad Cities for those who know this area a few times a year for some shopping trips. I go to the mall, a bite to eat and home. Any thoughts or advice about doing this skirted?...
I'm sure you've encountered little or no resistance or hostility anywhere you've gone so far. So anywhere else will be the same, even locally.

Who's to be afraid of?

caultron
Pdxfashionpioneer
Member Extraordinaire

Post by Pdxfashionpioneer »

Like Caultron said.

When I go out, it's almost always in a dress, pantyhose and heels. Olive Garden is one of my go-to places. I have always been well-received by the staff there, if not complimented on my outfit. Ditto with Target. The manager at the Claire's (a very inexpensive costume jewelry chain) at one of the shopping malls I frequent is very friendly. It's my experience that the chain operations are the most likely to receive you professionally, though one of the advantages of small, local shops is that if you hit it off with the owner or manager, you'll have an instant fan club!

I know for someone still getting their feet wet this will sound easier said than done, but if you wear your skirt with confidence, people will take you right in stride and treat you like any other customer. Nor do you have to restrict yourself to denim or khaki. It's a running joke with one of my friends at church that she is consistently frustrated that I "outfab" her nearly every Sunday.

This past Summer I drove all over Southern California and Arizona in a skirt, dress or shorts and got pretty much the same treatment no matter how I was dressed. Most retailers and customer service opertions have figured out that everybody's money is green and that they make their living by applying the first law of business, "The customer is always right!"

Dress appropriately for your age and the situation and you'll be fine.
David, the PDX Fashion Pioneer

Social norms aren't changed by Congress or Parliament; they're changed by a sufficient number of people ignoring the existing ones and publicly practicing new ones.